[comp.os.vms] Trying to connect a PC to a microVAX 2000

spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Joel Spolsky) (04/04/88)

Help! I'm trying to connect a PC and a uVAX-2000. The trouble is that
(1) these machines are in a different country than I am (Israel);
(2) we have close to no money, and
(3) it costs a fortune to use the Israeli phone system for data
    (besides which we can't spare two lines).

What is the cheapest (under 50 cents :-) way to connect this microVAX-2000
(VMS 4.6, three terminals, dial-up modem, communications port) to a single
PC-Clone (serial port and some free slots) over a distance of 500-1000
feet? I assume if we got another modem for the PC we could just run
telephone wire between the two for real cheap, but I would like to
know if there is an inexpensive alternative that would give
either faster speed or other benefits (e.g. shared file system, etc.)

Also, will it be possible, having made this connection, to upload
VMS-Kermit (which I have on floppies) from the PC to the VAX? In other
words, how can I get kermit installed on a "naked" VMS system through
the communications ports? (for various reasons getting Kermit on a
TK50 is turning out to be harder than one would think). Is there any
kind of file transfer capability built into VMS 4.6? (I must admit I
know very little about VMS. I couldn't talk them into getting
Ultrix :-).

Thanks in advance

--
Joel Spolsky

internet:  spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
smail:     3901 Spruce Street (box 360)
           Philadelphia, PA  19104
phone:     (215) 243-8264

#include <disclaimer.h>

thierbac@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ed Thierbach ) (04/05/88)

In article <3894@super.upenn.edu> spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Joel Spolsky) writes:

>What is the cheapest (under 50 cents :-) way to connect this microVAX-2000
>(VMS 4.6, three terminals, dial-up modem, communications port) to a single
>PC-Clone (serial port and some free slots) over a distance of 500-1000
>feet? [...]

You can buy asynchronous line drivers for about $150 apiece.  To the PC and
the MicroVAX, they'll look just like dial-up modems (and should be set up
that way in VMS), and all they require is 4 wires hooked up between them
(connect the transmit pair from one to the receive pair of the other).  The
advantage of these over modems is speed; typically they can run at 9600 baud.
Some can be as far as a mile apart; check the documentation.

>... (for various reasons getting Kermit on a
>TK50 is turning out to be harder than one would think).

If you send me a TK50, I'll be glad to put Kermit on it for you.  It may not
be the latest version, but you can use it to download a newer version.  You
can use the mailing address below, but please email me first so I can watch
for the tape (mail here being what it is).

>Thanks in advance
>--
>Joel Spolsky

----
Ed Thierbach                      Internet: thierbac@umbc3.umd.edu
Roy F. Weston, Inc.               BITnet:   ed@uc780 (not read often)
955 L'Enfant Plaza SW
Sixth Floor                       This space for rent.
Washington, DC  20024