[comp.os.vms] Help us defend against VMS!

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/01/88)

>Hello Unix Wizards!
>
>	Our campus is almost on the verge of being turned into a VMS
>filled campus due to the lack of knowledge of the person in charage of
>computing services here.  The next couple of months will determine
>what the campus computer scene will be like during the next decade.
>This person has in mind buying Vaxes with VMS, and DECnet with lots of
>money...

The basic problem with VMS is that it locks you into a single hardware
architecture and vendor. In this day and age that severely limits what
you can purchase in computing power. Vaxes vary widely in price but
not much in processing power. For example, a small uVax-II sells for
around $30K and offers a little less than 1 MIP. An 8750 sells for
perhaps $500K and offers a few MIPs. In the near future this range
closes even further, the uVax-3 being around 1/2 the processing power
of the top end with a price range of ten-fold. It's hard to buy worse
price-performance.

The Unix market ranges from PC based Unix systems which the average
student can afford (and this area is expanding rapidly) to the Cray-2,
a premiere super-computer, and just about everything in between. In
the middle market (typical small-medium scale time-sharing) one can
buy Unix systems from various vendors with upwards of ten times the
price performance of VMS.

Unix systems are relatively bundled, beyond mere hardware
considerations most Unix systems right out of the box are completely
useable. It can be supplemented in many significant ways with free or
nearly free (eg.  ~$100 for an entire campus) software. VMS is heavily
unbundled, from day one if you want so much as a compiler you begin
layering heavy costs. And you'll pay a separate price for acquiring
and maintaining software on every CPU running VMS on campus. This will
quickly lock you out of the workstation market, having to add $100K in
basic software costs to 40 VMS workstations can put a real damper on a
typical University's plans, no matter how good the intentions.

Unix is the premiere system for compute intensive areas, such as the
sciences using Fortran. The reason is the vast range of power a
program written to run under Unix presents. As I said, a program
developed on a small, affordable PC or workstation can be copied and
re-run on huge compute engines. Although a lot of the sciences in the
past used VMS they now generally realize that this was an error and
the communities are rapidly switching to Unix, any argument that
science is done on VMS is a false argument of the past. You should
poll major science depts and research labs. If nothing else, the fact
that the Cray and other super-computers run Unix has pushed the
equation in this favor, a person using VMS is essentially locked out
of the entire NSF super-computer initiative. Decnet would tend to
reaffirm this retardation (TCP can be had on VMS but it's sort of like
teaching a pig to dance, speak to VMS sites and they'll tell you what
a general pain in the ass it is to deal with third party vendors,
network software breaking on each O/S release etc etc.)

The typical claim by the campus administrator is to point at all the
myriad applications and big-name software that runs on VMS and doesn't
run on Unix. In the first place, most of this now does run on Unix so
that tends to be an anachronistic view. Another point is that such
admins usually have DP-envy. No one on the campus has any need for any
of the big-name applications the person is bragging about, you're
running an academic environment, not a bank! Get a list of these
applications and you'll see how ludicrous this consideration is.  Unix
tends to vastly dominate the academic community in software
availability.  These admins will sneer at things like X-windows, lisp
(which doesn't cost $10K/node), AI systems etc in preference to their
big-name commercial databases and spread-sheets as if what students
and professors do is not to be taken seriously, then why are they on a
campus? It's no accident that both Athena and Andrew have chosen Unix
for their massive campus computing projects.

Unix makes available the forefront of hardware technology, parallel
processing from companies like Encore, Sequent, BBN (Butterfly), RISC
and the so-called "super-workstations" like Sun/4, MIPS, HP etc. which
can deliver nearly 1MIP/$1K of price. The parallel processor provide
time-sharing systems extending into the hundreds of MIPs, again for
about $1K/MIP. Anything new and innovative runs Unix, not VMS, it
would be foolish to lock an entire academic community out of all this.
I can understand why a bank is not particularly concerned, but why a
(supposedly) active research community? Why lock yourself out of all
this. The VMS salesthings will claim that they're going to do all this
*in the future*, they've been saying that for years and years, and
when they do come out with something it tends to be too little too
late, in name only, like a dual processor 8800 which barely exploits
what tiny parallelism it has.

VMS itself is not an interesting operating system to learn or study.
It is basically a re-work of RSX, an ancient real-time operating
system from the PDP11 (Unix also ran on the PDP11 years ago, but it
has grown in modern ways, as opposed to VMS's habit of just accreting
whatever features were needed to meet the next big govt contract.)

The claim that Unix is somehow less secure than VMS is a red herring.
Unix offers sufficient security for campus systems, you're not the NSA
(again the tactic of arguing that VMS is better for things you don't
need.) More importantly, many Unix systems are available with full
sources for a modest price, typically $1000/campus (it's simply a
matter of your vendor choices, more than you can say for VMS where
there is no choice.) Without the sources you are, at best, at the
mercy of the vendor for security. A huge security hole which is
bringing you to your knees (which happens regularly on VMS, and the
news travels the networks like wildfire) leaves you helpless and at
the vendor's whims as to whether or not they feel like closing the
hole this week, or next month, or put it off for next release.

In fact their concern with only commercial DP makes them *less*
interested in your security problems. Banks don't have malicious
students exploiting security holes and don't tend to notice such
things or complain about them. With Unix and the sources you can at
least plug up the hole by a code change and then call the vendor and
wait for the real fix, at least you'll be up and running until then.
Don't believe that VMS sources are available, it's a lie, demand to
see prices for all items needed such as Decnet sources. Demand to be
told what resources it would take to even manage such sources.  Last I
checked it required the dedication of a few hundred thousand dollars
in hardware (basically, an entire larger Vax with large disks) to
manage sources.

Obviously the sources will also be of enormous benefit in answering
user questions, such as tracking down example code using particular
system calls. You can sort of do this with VMS's microfiche, if you
consider searching through microfiche for a particular system call
usage a good way to spend your time. You can't grep microfiche. Even
then you'll usually find that the way the system application
accomplishes what the user seems to want to do is by exploiting some
privilege you won't want to give to a user (I'm not sure I want to go
into the whole mess of the zillions of VMS "privilege" bits which
you'll never fully understand the implications of and will almost
surely end up giving away the store because some reasonable thing can
only be accomplished by giving a user some dangerous privilege bit,
Unix's single privilege scheme [root or not root] is much more secure,
you just don't give out root privs and you know exactly what can and
cannot be done by the two sets of users on your system, who wants to
calculate the permutations of 30+ priv bits and what they might imply
singly and in combination?.)

The programming and system interfaces in VMS are arcane and just a
hodgepodge of features, there's no particular underlying design
philosophy, just whatever marketing wanted this week. Although VMS has
some interesting software features it's nearly impossible for anyone
but a very experienced programmer to take advantage of these.  This is
not really a damnation of VMS, VMS is a platform for delivering
turnkey applications software, like databases in commercial
environments for people who wouldn't think of programming in general,
just data entry and report generation. I'm *sure* this is
representative of your needs (hah!)

In an academic community one merely has to go into a campus bookstore
to see another argument. Look at all the Unix books! Where are the VMS
books?

There are none. A complete set of Unix manuals costs less than $100, a
more than sufficient set costs perhaps $50. A complete set of VMS docs
costs several hundred dollars, no student or even faculty member
(except the few richest) can afford to own a documentation set for
VMS. There's some on-line help in VMS but it's designed to sell
manuals or supplement them, the details are always missing
(purposely.)

Most Unix systems come with on-line, complete manual sets with the
exact same text used to produce the printed manuals.  Thus, what's the
cost to a student for Unix manuals? For $0 (zero) they can get
everything, if they like manuals in their laps they can buy those for
the cost of a couple of textbooks. To supplement that they can buy any
of dozens of titles on Unix ranging from the structure of the
operating system, systems programming, compiler construction,
applications programming, AI, many programming languages, shell
programming, text processing etc etc. For VMS you'll be lucky to find
two titles (I can only think of one, the Internals book, and that's
hardly a text, oh yeah, there's an assembler textbook, both of those
are about five years old and don't even refer to the current VMS
system so you won't be able to use their code etc.)

So, running courses on VMS will mean foresaking textbooks. Very clever!
Good plan for running an academic environment! It's no accident, the
DEC/VMS crowd has no interest in academia, your sysadmin has DP-envy.

Decnet nearly completely locks you out of wide-area networking, such
as the arpanet. One need only look at the arpanet's University rolls
to see who you are abandoning, merely the foremost schools and
research labs in the country. About 95% of them use Unix systems to
hook up to the arpanet. Decnet is completely useless in this regard.
There are a couple of strange, semi-wide area networks based on DECNET
(few people could name them.)  Perhaps one or two of your faculty
would like to be on them. You should buy them a microvax and get on
with the rest of the campus' needs, don't let the tail wag the dog.

And you can forget uucp and usenet entirely, which means no e-mail
to vendors etc.

In summary, buying into VMS for a campus is buying into the past in a
pathetic, nearly necrophilic way for an academic community. It locks
them out of the mainstream in Computer Science, Engineering, the
Sciences and many of the humanities (all the multi-media projects of
any interest are being done on either Unix or or Macintosh/PC
systems.) It has very little to offer an academic community for either
research or coursework. It is flying in the face of nearly all trends
in computing today and doing so at such a high dollar price that it
borders on irresponsible. This is not to say that there is no need for
even one VMS system on your campus, there probably is. But using it as
a campus standard is irresponsible and completely without merit or
rational justification and will cripple academic computing for years
to come. What other campuses do this?

This is not a religious flame, I have presented myriad factual basis
for my arguments. VMS people like to claim religious flame and
"chocolate vs vanilla!" arguments. This is because they cannot deal
with the real issues so making it a political war can only act to
their advantage. Avoid the issues, get the opponents fired, scare a
campus administrator with false promises of donations etc.

Unfortunately you may be up against an insidious cancer you only
barely understand which will manipulate your organization in ways you
will regret.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

trt@rti.UUCP (Thomas Truscott) (03/01/88)

In article <1636@tulum.UUCP>, hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
> 	Is VMS as horrible as I suspect or am I alone an thinking this?

VMS is a fine OS.  Any campus should have a few VMS systems.
But your campus should primarily run UN*X.
This partly because UNIX is wonderful and partly because
UNIX has become so widespread that it should be chosen
even when clearly deficient.  (E.g. people still choose FORTRAN.)

1.  As a University, it is absolutely mandatory to make UNIX
the major academic operating system.
* undergraduates should use it because it is what they
    will use when they graduate.
* graduate computer science/engineering students can study,
    and even modify the UNIX OS.
    Thousands of students have learned how to write operating
    systems by studying UNIX.  Not true of VMS!
    Consider MIT (Project Athena), CMU (Mach OS, and Andrew),
    University of Califorina at Berkeley (3.0 BSD and so on).
    Consider the following major academic software projects:
    Sprite, Locus, TimeWarp, (forget this, consider *almost any*
    recent major academic software project!).
    UNIX had a major role in every one.
* Look at the CS faculty recruiting ads in the back of the
    Communications of the ACM, and count how often UNIX is mentioned.
    Can you even *find* a mention of VMS?
* What about the non-CS students and faculty?  If they want
    innovative uses of computing they will find it on UNIX.
    Mostly they will want word processing, and that is on UNIX too.
    (But a SUN or Mac or PC clone is cheaper for that than a VAX.
    Whatever you pick can run UNIX.  VMS only runs on a VAX.)

2.  As a strategic computing decision, you must pick UNIX,
because it is becoming a world-wide standard operating system.
It can run on nearly every computer from the smallest home systems
to the Cray 2.  Virtually every newly designed computer
has UNIX as the standard (if not the only) operating system.
Older operating systems will persist, of course,
but their vendors now provide UNIX alternatives.
In particular there are vendor-supplied UNIX alternatives to IBM MVS,
DEC VMS, Apollo Domain, Prime OS, DG AOS, Gould MPX, and Apple MacOS.

Any "tactical" gain from chosing VAX VMS initially will quickly
lose to (a) improvements in VAX UNIX (e.g. DEC's Ultrix) and
(b) improvements in the UNIX computing world in general.

3. DECnet is a limited network, limited mainly to Vaxen.
TCP/IP is currently the obvious choice for networked laser-printers,
terminal concentrators, and so on.
As other choices become obvious UNIX will have them,
and will have them before any other operating system does.
(UNIX already has several networking alternatives, such as XNS.)
Ultrix has DECnet, but it should be used only
to communicate with your VMS systems.

==========
Some non-technical notes:

Your computing services manager may already have committed to VMS,
so this may be a pointless battle.  Unless you have something to lose,
though, you should have a long chat with "him" anyway
as he should know what he will be up against later.

Survey other colleges similar to yours
(maybe just scan faculty recruiting ads as mentioned above)
and see what they are doing about computing.
Your manager probably has done so, make up your own list.

Ever since VAX was built, the UNIX vs. VMS question has been asked.
I have about 200 kilobytes of answers (mostly in favor of UNIX!)
for everything from real time to office automation.
As time goes by, the answers change.  And it is mostly
due to the tidal wave of UNIX engulfing the computing world,
making the smaller technical details completely irrelevant.
For example, past claims such as "FOO runs only on VMS" took time to answer,
now it is simply "DEC shipped/will ship FOO on Ultrix last/next summer."
From what I heard at the Ultrix BOF at the last Usenix conference,
DEC is now committed to equal development/support of new products
on both VMS and UNIX, which may benefit both systems
by encouraging competition between the two porting teams.

	Tom Truscott

rcb@rti.UUCP (Random) (03/01/88)

In article <2235@bsu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>>Hello Unix Wizards!
>>
>>	Our campus is almost on the verge of being turned into a VMS
>>filled campus due to the lack of knowledge of the person in charage of
>>computing services here.  The next couple of months will determine
>>what the campus computer scene will be like during the next decade.
>>This person has in mind buying Vaxes with VMS, and DECnet with lots of
>>money...
>
>Unix systems are relatively bundled, beyond mere hardware
>considerations most Unix systems right out of the box are completely
>useable. It can be supplemented in many significant ways with free or
>nearly free (eg.  ~$100 for an entire campus) software. VMS is heavily
>unbundled, from day one if you want so much as a compiler you begin
>layering heavy costs. And you'll pay a separate price for acquiring
>and maintaining software on every CPU running VMS on campus. This will
>quickly lock you out of the workstation market, having to add $100K in
>basic software costs to 40 VMS workstations can put a real damper on a
>typical University's plans, no matter how good the intentions.

I tried REAL HARD to let this one go by without response. I failed.

1. DEC's new software library makes the cost argument pointless.
In the library, some group in your organization is designated as the
keeper of the distribution and master manuals. They should be a group
that can provide VMS support for the rest of the organization.
Other people with vaxes can add their machine to the library for a small
yearly cost (cost depends on what you have in the library). They are
then licensed for ALL products in the library. The cost here for
some 25 products is around $800. This product list also includes
Ultrix and DEC's ultrix products (like VMS fortran for Ultrix)

2. Manuals. In the library, any manuals you need your own copy of can
be purchased through the library at substantial discounts. (because
that will become a single point of volume sales, they can afford it).

3. Support. ALL products in the library are backed up by DEC support.
The library group has access to the Telephone Support Center for
questions on any product (vms or ultrix).

4. Ease of upgrades. True using vms locks you into one architecture.
That means that your nifty graphical product that you wrote on vms
may not port to a cray very easily. However, I have been involved in
product ports from unix to vms and am familiar with ports from one unix
to another and the situation is not much better. I have just as many if not
more problems moving software between different versions of unix as I have
between unix and vms. The software in question was written in C on unix
and had some serious I/O and memory requirements. Just look at all the
notices in the sources groups about code that has a bug on machine
xyz's unix.

---------------

Anyway, enough of the preaching. The above leans a little heavily to the
vms side, but only the counter the extreme unix leaning of the previous
posting. In my opinion, both unix and vms have a place in a university.
There is a LOT of companies out there that have never even heard of unix
but have vaxes all over the place. (i hate to say this, but) there is a
vastly greater number of companies out there that have nothing but
IBM (boo, hiss) computers. If we want universities to prepare students for
the real world, we should be teaching them IBM operating systems :-)

However, now for the proposal. What you want for your university does not
really matter. There is no reason for this either/or argument. Why not do
the following.

	- Buy the vaxes (they run unix just fine)
	- Set up equal numbers running unix and vms
	- Allow students to try out both and work on which ever one they like.
	- Watch the load on the machines and buy more for which ever OS
		is the most heavily loaded.

Simple no? After all, most of the religious flames in this argument I believe
come from whatever system the person originally learned on. I learned on
VMS, so that's what I use best. I am most efficient on VMS because I know
it the best. Most of what I do could be done on either.

The real beauty of the DEC software library is that you can switch a machine
from one OS to the other easily. We have a lot of workstations around
here and people work on both OS's at times. I would like to promote the
opinion that that persons vaxstation can run whatever OS they are
need for their current project and then change with the next project
if need be.

Oh well, this is getting too long. That's all for now.

--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute

klb@philabs.Philips.Com (Ken Bourque) (03/03/88)

*>In summary, buying into VMS for a campus is buying into the past in a
*>pathetic, nearly necrophilic way for an academic community.
*>
*>Using it as
*>a campus standard is irresponsible and completely without merit or
*>rational justification and will cripple academic computing for years
*>to come.
*>
*>Unfortunately you may be up against an insidious cancer
*>
*>This is not a religious flame

--
Ken Bourque    klb@philabs.philips.com    ...!{uunet,ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!klb

bpdickson@trillium.waterloo.edu (Brian P. Dickson) (03/03/88)

I have caught the end of another skirmish in a battle that shouldn't exist.
Why do I say that, you ask? Because VMS isn't UNIX and vice-versa, which is
important in its own right. Because, in an academic environment, exposure to
more than one *good* operating system is important. Because they both run on
VAXen.

There are companies, such as HCR in Toronto, who make UNIX emulations that run
*on top of* VMS, making both OS's available simultaneously. This may be avoiding
the issue, but for a small campus with only a few machines, this is one route.

Pro-UNIX: most of these arguements have been heard. Many vendors, source,
portability, the 'net, modifibility, etc.

Pro-VMS: not many of these have been mentioned yet: in non-academic
environments, DECnet is tremendously useful, because with a very large number
of machines, you never worry about paths; however, machine names must be unique.
If a large number of campuses connected via DECnet, information could be shared
very easily, via DEC's CONFERENCES (basically a cross between UNIX news, and
BBS's). Also, if someone makes a file (W:R) readable, you can SET DEFAULT to
his *machine & directory*, and do stuff with the file. Security is a larger
issue, normally controlled by the addition of machines to the network, and
tyrranical managers on each machine.
Another thing in favour of VMS is the HELP facility; it can be used to get a
lot of useful information about languages as well as utilities; true, not all
of the information is always available, but for most languages, syntax, usage,
parameters for functions, and structure can be found; the tree structure of
help is one of its best features.
The main arguement for *how* VMS is intended to be used, most systems written
under VMS are intended to be installed commands, which involves more than just
putting it in the equivalent of /bin. It is meant for less-than-fully computer
literate users. *This does not mean secretaries, as it does with IBM :-)*.
This means you can set up an entire system for, say, a research scientist, and
the fact that *you* wrote it is invisible to him. (When it breaks, you can
blame DEC :-) :-) :-). This means parameter-passing, help, and lots of other
things are handled mostly by VMS, not your own programs.

Details on CONFERENCES: instead of sending the stuff all over the country,
the article remains on the machine, until it is read (ie the contents are
sent over via DECnet, but never stored). Each machine/site/cluster does not
duplicate stuff; however no single machine has all of the news stuff on it.
EG: watmath would have sci.math.*, another machine would have rec.arts.*,
utzoo would have sci.space.*, and so on. Less usage of disk space, more
usage of the network itself. Great for very specific, high signal/noise ratio,
real-news stuff, ie the faculty & grad students on most campuses.

========
Recommendations: Get UNIX *and* VMS machines for undergrads, VMS for grads,
faculty and administration, if you can afford it. If not, get VMS with a UNIX
implementation running on top. You may need an ULTRIX between other UNIXes and
the VMS machines for them to talk, but if most code is written in portable C
code, not many problems will arise.
--
Brian Dickson

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (03/03/88)

in article <1636@tulum.UUCP>, hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) says:
> Please help shed the light for us!  Please tell us what you think would be
> reasons why you wouldn't buy VMS! (or why you would).  We need the help
> of all you wizards out there.  Any examples you can think of will help!

I am not a wizard. I manage a laboratory with (as of last week) twenty
Unix systems ranging in size from a SUN-3/280S (our principal
timesharing system), a cluster (in the generic sense) of SUN-3
workstations with a 3/180S server, a VAX 785, a VAX 750, some NCR Tower
32/600s, and some smaller machines. Most of the engines are ethernetted
together, and the VAXen and SUNs are all integrated using NFS and YP to
provide a computing environment where CPUs are considered merely
peripherals: if you need a bigger one, put it online on the net and use
it, and don't worry too much what it is or where it came from.

Our of four computer centers on campus (i.e. organizations which have
some degree of centralized computing in terms of geographical location
and management), we are the only Unix shop, the rest being VMS with one
IBM mainframe for administrative work. I am fighting the same fight you
are, arguing with the computer center Directors and a Vice President.

I object to the term wizard, and if you're smart, you'll drop it too. I
am not a wizard, and none of the 2.7 FTE people that work for me
supporting our environment are wizards either. Unix _must_ shake the
reputation of needing a wizard to maintain it if it is going to be
accepted in organizations where skilled labor is expensive and hard to find.
I am incredible fortunate, and I know that. I have highly skilled,
motivated, educated (most with a M.S. in C.S.), and _experienced_ people
working for me, but your typical campus computer center is usually not
that fortunate. Our center tried to hire one of my people away (I think
I would have gladly let him go, if only to improve conditions at center),
and he was seriously considering it until they discovered that he would
have to take a pay cut. So much for competitiveness in salary, even
within the University, and I can't pay what the people just across the
street will pay for the same person.

Don't say wizard. Don't say guru. "Systems manager" might be okay. But
don't give anyone the idea that you need a wizard to maintain a Unix
system because [A] it just isn't true anymore, if it ever was, and
[B] it will discourage any migration to Unix.

Why Unix?

I sit on a committee that reports to our VP for Computing (a CIO in
corporate parlance) that is supposed to advise our Computer Center
Directors on purchases, policy, procedure, etc. DEC has delivered a
proposal for a 6MIPS VAX for $1.2M. Six months ago I purchased,
received, and deployed our Sun-3/280S, a 4MIPS engine for under
$100K.

Question: which is the better deal?

Answer: The $1.2M VAX. Because it runs VMS. Never mind that for CPU
intensive applications (which is predominantly what we're talking about
here) the VAX is _eight_ times more expensive (with comparable amounts
of disk space and memory) than the Sun. The Sun doesn't run VMS. The
time has come for us to realize the _true_ cost of proprietary
technologies. When you run VMS you have _one_ name in your rolodex card
file, and it says "Digital". It is no longer a question of getting the
most for your money; it is a matter of finding out from your sales
rep how many zeros to write on the check.

There is another issue than capital investment: intellectual
investment.  Unix has a reputation as being user hostile or having a
steep learning curve, and yet once that learning curve has been
achieved, your intellectual investment is protected across an incredible
number of machines and models for many many vendors. Sure, there are
differences between the system calls or management from system to
system, but at least I can sit down and immediately begin editing,
manipulating files, using tools, helping me while I learn those
differences. And for many users, there _is_ no difference. When we
moved our faculty off our 750 onto the 3/280S, the only difference
(besides vastly improved response time) that they noticed was that
the role or "R" and "r" in the mail command was reversed... which lasted
until we figured out how to change it. These two machines are from
different vendors, and have different architectures, but they had one
thing in common: both had common roots in Unix. There are financial
considerations here too, in terms of productivity and training costs.

I spent five years as a systems programmer in an IBM mainframe
environment, and when I left I was the senior technical resource in my
shop. I spend two years in a PDP-11 environment, two years in a VAX/VMS
environment, and the past two years in our current Unix environment.
I can say without reservation that Unix is the most useful, most
productive, and most (dare I say it?) _friendly_ environment that I,
as a professional programmer and manager, have ever had the pleasure of
using. Subjective opinion? Hmmmmm.... perhaps. But I'm not so sure.

In the end, you will have to find your own justification, your own
strategy. On my end, I am confident that the University will continue
to fritter away the taxpayers money on proprietary technologies, while
I work hard on providing the best, most cost effective computing
environment for the money.

I apologize for the length of this. I know, few hard facts, mostly
just soapboxing. Perhaps it will prompt some discussion.

I wish you luck.

-- John

--
John Sloan                     	 Wright State University Research Center
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (03/03/88)

In article <284@wright.EDU> jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
>DEC has delivered a
>proposal for a 6MIPS VAX for $1.2M. Six months ago I purchased,
>received, and deployed our Sun-3/280S, a 4MIPS engine for under
>$100K.

I forwarded this and two previous articles on this theme from
comp.unix.wizards to comp.os.vms because I thought they deserved wider
circulation.

The UNIX versus VMS battle was lost and won some years ago, around
1984, I think.  It's all moot now.  But if you still discuss it, it
would be a good idea to let both comp.unix.wizards and comp.os.vms
readers follow it.  It will also add balance, since the real VMS
defenders are all in comp.os.vms.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

ross@swan.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) (03/03/88)

In article <2235@bsu-cs.UUCP} bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
}The basic problem with VMS is that it locks you into a single hardware
}architecture and vendor. In this day and age that severely limits what
}you can purchase in computing power. Vaxes vary widely in price but
}not much in processing power. For example, a small uVax-II sells for
}around $30K and offers a little less than 1 MIP. An 8750 sells for
}perhaps $500K and offers a few MIPs. In the near future this range
}closes even further, the uVax-3 being around 1/2 the processing power
}of the top end with a price range of ten-fold. It's hard to buy worse
}price-performance.
Agreed that VMS locks you into a single hardware vendor.  But the MIPS
argument doesn't hold up.  MIP =} Mythical instructions per second.
IO throughput is not being recognized in this argument.  An 8650 here
easily handles 70 people in compile edit link mode with an HSC70 on it.
It is rated at 6Mips or so.  Try putting 70 people on 6 MicroVax IIs.
Price performance on unix machines is generally better, but the
DEC hardware and VMS software is real reliable.  HSC's make things
move right along also.  People seem to think of a Vax and they think
of a wimpy little 780.  The high end 8000 series processors are
great for academic applications be they running VMS or Ultrix.  Let's
not forget that DEC does sell a Unix product.  Let's not forget that
Unix started out specifically on DEC products and does tend to run
very well on DEC machines because of this.

... stuff deleted to save space ...

}Unix systems are relatively bundled, beyond mere hardware
}considerations most Unix systems right out of the box are completely
}useable.
I agree.
}It can be supplemented in many significant ways with free or
}nearly free (eg.  ~$100 for an entire campus) software. VMS is heavily
}unbundled, from day one if you want so much as a compiler you begin
}layering heavy costs.
Yes, but DECUS certainly does have a great deal of stuff available.
I still haven't gotten through all my tapes.
}And you'll pay a separate price for acquiring
}and maintaining software on every CPU running VMS on campus. This will
}quickly lock you out of the workstation market, having to add $100K in
}basic software costs to 40 VMS workstations can put a real damper on a
}typical University's plans, no matter how good the intentions.
Yup, I agree DEC has to fix this soon or they will lose.  Again though
you can run Ultrix on a DEC machine and this does alleviate many
of these problems.  But LAVC is nice.

}Unix is the premiere system for compute intensive areas, such as the
}sciences using Fortran.
Huh, unix fortran is known to rot.  Proprietary fortrans that may
happen to run on a unix box are good, but milage will vary greatly.
}The reason is the vast range of power a
}program written to run under Unix presents. As I said, a program
}developed on a small, affordable PC or workstation can be copied and
}re-run on huge compute engines. Although a lot of the sciences in the
}past used VMS they now generally realize that this was an error and
}the communities are rapidly switching to Unix, any argument that
}science is done on VMS is a false argument of the past.
Science is done???  A scientist would explore all systems to look
at the usefulness of each, otherwise the scientist is a close minded
person and by definition not a scientist.
} You should
}poll major science depts and research labs. If nothing else, the fact
}that the Cray and other super-computers run Unix has pushed the
}equation in this favor, a person using VMS is essentially locked out
}of the entire NSF super-computer initiative.
Woha there, crays also run in Vax Clusters running VMS.  Just think
real IO speeds of 80Mbits per second achievable, instead of the 2 or
3 Mbits per second of an ethernet controller.
}Decnet would tend to
}reaffirm this retardation (TCP can be had on VMS but it's sort of like
}teaching a pig to dance, speak to VMS sites and they'll tell you what
}a general pain in the ass it is to deal with third party vendors,
}network software breaking on each O/S release etc etc.)
Most companies if kicked long and hard enough will try to resolve a
problem like this.  I think that in the in DEC will be forced to also.

}These admins will sneer at things like X-windows, lisp
}(which doesn't cost $10K/node), AI systems etc in preference to their
}big-name commercial databases and spread-sheets as if what students
}and professors do is not to be taken seriously, then why are they on a
}campus?
Ah, but remember that the purpose of a campus is to teach.  To teach
these big name data bases is useful since they are the most powerful
and the most used when the student will go out into industry.
But, on the other hand Ingres, one of the biggest and most powerful,
has its roots in unix.  Let's not forget that DEC did make Ada available
at 1k per node, versus at the time all the 20k compilers.  This was
for academic institutions only I belive.  So the horse is not black
or white, it is grey.
}It's no accident that both Athena and Andrew have chosen Unix
}for their massive campus computing projects.
Oh, Athena great sucker upper of money, that Athena.  I am less than
impressed with a 30Million dollar window package.
}Unix makes available the forefront of hardware technology, parallel
}processing from companies like Encore, Sequent, BBN (Butterfly), RISC
}and the so-called "super-workstations" like Sun/4, MIPS, HP etc. which
}can deliver nearly 1MIP/$1K of price.
Unix was easy to port.  Yea unix.
}The parallel processor provide
}time-sharing systems extending into the hundreds of MIPs, again for
}about $1K/MIP. Anything new and innovative runs Unix, not VMS, it
}would be foolish to lock an entire academic community out of all this.
}I can understand why a bank is not particularly concerned, but why a
}(supposedly) active research community? Why lock yourself out of all
}this. The VMS salesthings will claim that they're going to do all this
}*in the future*, they've been saying that for years and years, and
}when they do come out with something it tends to be too little too
}late, in name only, like a dual processor 8800 which barely exploits
}what tiny parallelism it has.
Yea, but unless you've been on Mars you know that VMS 5.0 will take
advantage of the multiprocessor machines.  Also the busses in question
can support more than two cpus.  A parallel machine with IO throughput?

... points raised about VMS not being modern, I sorta agree ...

}The claim that Unix is somehow less secure than VMS is a red herring.
}Unix offers sufficient security for campus systems, you're not the NSA
}(again the tactic of arguing that VMS is better for things you don't
}need.)
Unix is easy to crack.  I have never seen a gugu for VMS.  I have seen
people break into machines to shut them down because a known power
outage was coming and the person with the root password was not around.
Also unix varies greatly in integrity from machine to machine.
}More importantly, many Unix systems are available with full
}sources for a modest price, typically $1000/campus (it's simply a
}matter of your vendor choices, more than you can say for VMS where
}there is no choice.) Without the sources you are, at best, at the
}mercy of the vendor for security. A huge security hole which is
}bringing you to your knees (which happens regularly on VMS, and the
}news travels the networks like wildfire) leaves you helpless and at
}the vendor's whims as to whether or not they feel like closing the
}hole this week, or next month, or put it off for next release.
In all fairness you can get the sources via microfiche.  When DEC does
learn of a problem it seems that they do ship out the update within
a month or two.  It is a problem not having sources, at a reasonable
price though.
}In fact their concern with only commercial DP makes them *less*
}interested in your security problems. Banks don't have malicious
}students exploiting security holes and don't tend to notice such
}things or complain about them. With Unix and the sources you can at
}least plug up the hole by a code change and then call the vendor and
}wait for the real fix, at least you'll be up and running until then.
}Don't believe that VMS sources are available, it's a lie, demand to
}see prices for all items needed such as Decnet sources. Demand to be
}told what resources it would take to even manage such sources.  Last I
}checked it required the dedication of a few hundred thousand dollars
}in hardware (basically, an entire larger Vax with large disks) to
}manage sources.
Yep, but they are available, but rediculous to get.  Don't forget
that you need a $8000 Bliss compiler, and they won't guaruntee that
it will compile.

[...]
I disagree.  It is nice to be able to give moderate level operator type
students OPER, to do operator things but not everything.  There are
a lot of bits and they do get complicated, but then usually a more
complicated system has more power.  For example it is somewhat harder
to get a root DCL on VMS because what is a root DCL.  That DCL
process will only have the priveleges it stole, not all of them.
... VMS is a hodepodge ...
}In an academic community one merely has to go into a campus bookstore
}to see another argument. Look at all the Unix books! Where are the VMS
}books?
They are in my bookstore, right next to the Unix books.  That wall
of orange is also unquestionably better and easier to read than the
Unix Docs.  But I would like to see the VMS Docs on line in a better
format than help.
}There are none. A complete set of Unix manuals costs less than $100, a
}more than sufficient set costs perhaps $50. A complete set of VMS docs
}costs several hundred dollars, no student or even faculty member
}(except the few richest) can afford to own a documentation set for
}VMS. There's some on-line help in VMS but it's designed to sell
}manuals or supplement them, the details are always missing
}(purposely.)
You pay for what you get in this case.

}Most Unix systems come with on-line, complete manual sets with the
}exact same text used to produce the printed manuals.  Thus, what's the
}cost to a student for Unix manuals? For $0 (zero) they can get
}everything, if they like manuals in their laps they can buy those for
}the cost of a couple of textbooks.
But there is a cost to the instituion of each student printing these
out.  I am not saying that is bad, but there is a cost.
... note enough academic texts for VMS, I agree ...

}So, running courses on VMS will mean foresaking textbooks. Very clever!
}Good plan for running an academic environment! It's no accident, the
}DEC/VMS crowd has no interest in academia, your sysadmin has DP-envy.
DEC got where it is from academia.  I have seen them trying, but being
very torn about which direction to go.

... Decnet does not connect with the Arpa net ...
}And you can forget uucp and usenet entirely, which means no e-mail
}to vendors etc.
I believe there are implemenations of both.
Tek tcp is also reasonably priced.

}In summary, buying into VMS for a campus is buying into the past in a
}pathetic, nearly necrophilic way for an academic community. It locks
}them out of the mainstream in Computer Science, Engineering, the
}Sciences and many of the humanities (all the multi-media projects of
}any interest are being done on either Unix or or Macintosh/PC
}systems.)
Isn't the Machintosh guilty of many of your arguments.  A much better
argument would be Unix or a Commodore Amiga.  The Amiga has supported
TCP/IP, FTP, TELNET for at least a year and a half that I can remeber,
and has had NFS for a while.  Much more reasonable for people wanting
to link in with Unix boxes at high speed.
}It has very little to offer an academic community for either
}research or coursework. It is flying in the face of nearly all trends
}in computing today and doing so at such a high dollar price that it
}borders on irresponsible. This is not to say that there is no need for
}even one VMS system on your campus, there probably is. But using it as
}a campus standard is irresponsible and completely without merit or
}rational justification and will cripple academic computing for years
}to come. What other campuses do this?
Yes I would agree that as a campus standard it is not the way to go.
There should be no campus standard.  Students should have access to
many things to explore.
}This is not a religious flame, I have presented myriad factual basis
}for my arguments. VMS people like to claim religious flame and
}"chocolate vs vanilla!" arguments. This is because they cannot deal
}with the real issues so making it a political war can only act to
}their advantage. Avoid the issues, get the opponents fired, scare a
}campus administrator with false promises of donations etc.

}Unfortunately you may be up against an insidious cancer you only
}barely understand which will manipulate your organization in ways you
}will regret.

}	-Barry Shein, Boston University

You forgot NFS.  Let's not forget the Network File System of Unix.
Clearly a great boon to the argument of unix over VMS.

						Ross

--
csnet: ross@swan.ulowell.edu
uucp:  ross@swan.ulowell.edu || ...harvard!ulowell!ross

Trust the computer.	The computer is your friend.

In article <68@musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU> terrell@musky2.UUCP (Roger Terrell) writes:

>VMS ADVANTAGES:
>   - VMS is much more secure, although this does not mean much in an
>academic environment unless there is a lot of research and/or the
>administrative people are paranoid.

There is a widely-held belief that the less an environment allows
people to do, the more secure it must be.  By this strange definition,
the ultimate in security is achieved by not letting anybody log in at
all.  VMS wins very easily, then, since each user's authorization
record has a DISUSER field.  In one fell swoop you can disuser all your
users, since the relevant command will accept wildcards.

However, I prefer to believe that the more you can let your users do
without harming the system, the better your system's security is.  The
ideal secure system would put no restrictions at all on what users
could do, yet it would not be maliciously crashable or allow privacy to
be breached.  (It would also unfortunately succomb to Russell's or a
similar paradox and presumably vanish in a puff of logic.)

UNIX does come pretty close, though.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

u8551087@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (03/03/88)

> [...]
> borders on irresponsible. This is not to say that there is no need for
> even one VMS system on your campus, there probably is. But using it as
> a campus standard is irresponsible and completely without merit or
> rational justification and will cripple academic computing for years
> to come. What other campuses do this?
>
> This is not a religious flame, I have presented myriad factual basis
> for my arguments. VMS people like to claim religious flame and
> "chocolate vs vanilla!" arguments. This is because they cannot deal
> with the real issues so making it a political war can only act to
> their advantage. Avoid the issues, get the opponents fired, scare a
> campus administrator with false promises of donations etc.
>
> Unfortunately you may be up against an insidious cancer you only
> barely understand which will manipulate your organization in ways you

mcpherso@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Mike McPherson) (03/03/88)

Can we *please* stop the UNIX vs. VMS argument.  We have both, we like
both.

<flame on>

	YOU PEOPLE ARE WASTING MY TIME!!!

<flame off>

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand) (03/04/88)

In a recent article mcpherso@msudoc.UUCP wrote:
><flame on>
>
>	YOU PEOPLE ARE WASTING MY TIME!!!
>
><flame off>

Go away, please. We have both, we like both too. But, as professionals,
it's always interesting to discuss what makes a good computer. The VMS
vs Unix holy war is unusually fun and enlightening because people
have such strong opinions and ideas about it.

Most of what goes by on these newsgroups can be classified as "data" -
people reporting random bits of technical info to each other. Topics that
inspire people to *think*, on the other hand, are rare. I've gained a *lot*
more enlightenment from "Unix vs VMS" than from all the usual grungy junk
around here.

Harrumph.

garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

PS - I'd like to publicly thank Barry Shein for a very good pro-Unix (or
   pro-both) posting. I'm generally pro-VMS (ie, DEC's "style" of doing
   things is closer to my own than the Unix authors' style is), but Barry's
   arguments were practical and carefully put.

landauer@morocco.Sun.COM (Doug Landauer) (03/04/88)

> As professionals,
> it's always interesting to discuss what makes a good computer. The VMS
> vs Unix holy war is unusually fun and enlightening because people
> have such strong opinions and ideas about it.

Besides, it's been at least six months since the last time this
particular war erupted, so there's a whole new semester's worth
of freshmen to be won!			:-)

Perhaps it's time to add this subject to the news.announce.newusers list
of topics that have been rehashed so often that the net.vets are tired
of it.  (Or to add a new article to that suite, creating that list.)

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/05/88)

The DEC Educational Software Library with DEC workstations scenario is
great, but has one very large problem:

When a MULTIUSER VMS LICENSE is needed beyond the basic 2-user VMS
license then the trouble begins.  First, DEC will not under any
conditions sell a multiuser VMS license upgrade for a workstation,
period.  Second, this means you must buy non-workstation machines with
multiuser VMS licenses for your multiuser needs.  This sacrifices the
flexibility of upgrading a workstation, causing the purchase of extra
computers and software, and even worse, DEC workstations are available
for purchase by educational/research entities (by and large, your
mileage may vary) at excellent price discounts while the multiuser
system are not.{  VMS itself is priced outrageously high if it cannot
be purchased via the educational library, which is definitely the case
for VMS multiuser licenses.

If you have a scenario that will only call for workstations then these

concerns won't apply, otherwise, give it some thought.

Further concern is warranted in the area of network support costs.  For
VMS DEC offers many network software support tools, but they tend to be
outrageously expensive and are not part of the educational library.  In
my context "outrageous" means pricing that is radically higher than the
cost of any other software/hardware item available at the educational
library or workstation discount pricing.  I consider ratios of greater
than 2/1 very significant.  The encountered ratios of 5/1 to 25/1 are
easily outrageous.

I hope that DEC will someday offer such things as Remote System Manager
(software) at a price scaled to the economies they offer in other
elements of their educational/research sales programs.  Sometimes it
seems that DEC is trying to "make up" some lost profit ground by letting
you buy in cheap and add-on expensive, especially with anything in the
VMS realm.

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/05/88)

I have many complaints about VMS and DEC educational/research sales
policies, but I have{  lots of positive comments, too.

Relax, I know Unix is a{   lifestyle and VMS is only an operating
system, but it isn't as bad as some (B. Shein) say.

VMS has an excellent Fortran compiler and any serious Fortran number
cruncher in research will cry its virtues.  Unix only has one Fortran
compiler{  in the same league with the VMS compiler, and it is the DEC
Fortran-for-Ultrix compiler.

VMS manuals are very expensive.

VMS programming interfaces are overly complicated, often remaining
confusing even after wading through massive manuals, believe me, this
stuff is arcane.  Go to a native IBM OS for a real taste of arcane.
VMS is fast and has fewer bugs and breakdowns than most OS's.  There are
different levels at which you can program the file system and I/O, the
general areas of complication.  This helps a little.  Unix is no picnic
in the I/O area, either.  It seems every Unix port has different I/O
system calls or the same names with different arguments -- how about all
those different IOCTL's?  Of course, simple things are done fairly
easily in either Unix or VMS.  Writing system-level code can be painful
in Unix or VMS, but give me Unix for system code anyday (90% less grief,
but the remaining 10% can be BIG).

Neither Unix or VMS makes an interesting OS design or theory study.
They are both old and both have good features and bad features.
Certainly these features should be studied in the learning process but
OS research lies in writing/simulating new OS's or features.  Having
ready access and control of the entire computer hardware (for arbitrary
reboots, crash analysis, etc) is probably important here, along with
decent cross-asembler and cross-compiler support.  Two of the same
machine is always nice for OS work, one for compiles and one as a guinea
pig.  Allright, I admit it, I'd rather do this from Unix, but since I
use both OS's, I must say it matters little whether the compile engine
is running VMS or Unix.

We have researchers using the NSF supercomputer facilities from VMS and
Unix workstations via DECNET networks and the Internet, so this is a
wash.

Certainly VMS is no more "in the past" or "necrophilic" than Unix, Mr.
Shein.  When all is said and done, Unix and VMS have many pluses and
minuses.  The priorities of a given situation will apply weights to
these plusses and minuses and will result in a choice.  In most cases a
fair evaluation will result in a tough decision.  I prefer Unix because
VMS layered software products are so expensive.  The other differences
are a wash for me because I am not interested in a single (or a few)
salient feature.  As I said, the pros and cons of both OS's abound, but
largely balance out.

I prefer open architecture and hope that POSIX and IEEE standardized
Unix are realized in the marketplace.

The thrust of my comments are to offer some responsible balance to the
emotional anti-VMS rhetoric.  This is not an attempt to "prove" anything
, just to give DEC and VMS a chance at a fair shake.  Except for some
economic arguments I think that most of the VMS/Unix complaints and
praises balance out or can be reduced to personal preferences.

Now, to get to work on what will be the real "best" OS ..... (ha!)....

.

exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) (03/05/88)

VMS ---  Just say NO!

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/05/88)

From Steve Ward:
>VMS has an excellent Fortran compiler and any serious Fortran number
>cruncher in research will cry its virtues.  Unix only has one Fortran
>compiler{  in the same league with the VMS compiler, and it is the DEC
>Fortran-for-Ultrix compiler.

Serious Fortran number crunchers in research use Vaxes? I think that's
an oxymoron, even DEC's largest machine can't be considered a serious
number cruncher's machine in this day and age, and that was my only
point, VMS locks you into Vaxes and Vaxes can no longer be taken
seriously by people with compute intensive needs. Whatever perceived
niceties there are of programming Fortran under VMS (and I don't
dispute them) are sort of lost when you lack the computational power
to run that code, no? Let's not hash terms, we're talking number
crunching (we both have used that term now), finite element analysis,
matrix inversions etc.

In fact, I think DEC has done an unfortunate disservice, more of a
sociological phenomena, by plying to the scientific community and then
leaving them out in the cold with incompatible fortran and no iron to
grow into and remain competitive with their more nimble colleagues.
Most of us noticed this problem during the huge gap between the 780
and the 8600 releases.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (03/05/88)

How did this rot get here?  I admit I have probably written similar inacruacies
about unix (Eunuchs?) systems in my day, and will probably do more in the
future, but this writer doesn't know much about VMS on the inside.  Some
of his points are based on correct facts, but are a very narrow view, while
others are just plain wrong or ignorant.

VMS is single hardware architecture and operating system.  That is it's
great strength.  That is why it is not a mess of add-ons and doing things
with an already out of shape architecture.  Anyone who has followed DEC
knows that if DEC takes a new direction, just about everything follows and
it affects the system at all levels.  Old things become "jacket" routines
which call the new, and everything follows the new scheme.  DEC has done
many things with their architecture that UNIX will never do, because UNIX
really wasn't designed.  It just kind of happened.  We can follow up with
specific examples, if you like, but I noticed that the original article
didn't bother in its many pages.

VMS most definately does not lock you into an architecture or a hardware.
I know of no OS that communicates with others like VMS.  I would suspect
that VMS communicates with Unix as well or better than many other unix's.
There are many network configurations for bringing in DOS PC's and other
strange animals that I've never heard of in the PC world.  I run WordPerfect
under VMS and DOS.  I can use its file manager (last time I tried) to list
files accross DECNET on a unix machine, or on the hard drive or floppy of
my PC.  I can make a VMS drive look like a hard drive on my PC's and I can
save a document on my PC and then use a DCL command to send it directly
to a print queue where VMS will pass control to WordPerfect routines which
will translate the document for the destination queue it happens to print
on--which may not be determined until long after the user logs off and may
be on another node of the VAX cluster.

Cerrtainly once you start using VMS you will become dependant on it for
all the things that the other O/S's don't give you.  If this is what you
meant when you said you are locked into it, then I agree.  But VMS doesn't
lock you into one O/S, although I can see how you might have assumed this
coming from the UNIX world where you are locked into one O/S.  If you really
want to, you can put UNIX on half of your machines until people voluntarily
stop using it and defer to VMS.

From what I have seen of UNIX running on a VAX, it consumes much more system
overhead than VMS, so the higher VMS price is at least partially justified.
If you spend half a million on new hardware, do you want to save a few thousand
dollars on your O/S and have it eat half your investment?

There would be no problem with running UNIX on your non-VAX equipment.

Yes, the software for VMS is more expensive and unbundled, but if I were
counting on something being supported and upgraded and improved, I would
go for the one with the price tag every time.  Sure, there are PD compilers
out there for VMS as well, some of them quite good, but if you want the
good one, development usually isn't done for free.  I believe you will find
the VMS fortran that you pay for compatible and fast.

As far as the communities "rapidly switching to UNIX", as far as it goes
on VAX's, the existing base of VAX's is (last time I checked) 60% VMS, 40%
UNIX.  The new VAX's being shipped are about 80% VMS, 20% UNIX.  I suppose
this could be reconciled if it could be shown that such communities were
a relatively small segment of the market, or that they were steering away
from VAX's in general.  I'm not in a position to know that.  I program heavily
in assembly language, and know that the code produced by the "C" compilers
is very inadequate--even under UNIX.  I have helped optimize it for students
on several occasions.  It is the design of "C" that procludes lots of
optimization that I consider important.  Maybe that's why the O/S doesn't
stack up next to VMS.

I work on a major program which is being ported to most machines known to
man, and the UNIX implementation will never be what the VMS one is, because
the UNIX environment is not well defined.

Yes, get a list of these applications that run on the VAX.  Try the newest VMS
software sourcebook for just a beginning.  They are not useless.  The only
major thing is that they are sometimes expensive, but many cannot be had
or can only be had in mutilated forms under UNIX, due to the great lack
of hardware or O/S integrity under UNIX.

DEC has realized the error of their ways.  Xwindows will be an integral
part of VMS 5.0 which will be released soon.

It's funny, all the new and innovative things I've seen run only under VMS.
The things usually requested from the UNIX world are utilities like MORE,
for UNIX users who haven't learned how to get around under VMS.  MORE is
nice (although a bit cryptic from what I've seen) but is a long ways behind
what I would call "new" or "innovative" watch this list for such requests.

But why argue...  for those who want UNIX, let there be UNIX, and for those
who want the O/S to do all the mundane things for them and leave them free
for more creative pursuits, so that they don't have to reinvent indexed
files and other things like interfaces and specialized utilities every time
they want to use them for something new, let there be VMS.

They cryptic comments about a study of the O/S's are just an ignorant apology
for the lack of the well-defined and implemented features which UNIX doesn't
have and if it ever does, it will be because it copied DEC's O/S as in the
past.

True enough, the VMS sources are only available under a special license
(about $30,000 last time I checked).  Interesting, isn't it then, how all
the best software is being written for the VAX.  You don't have to modify,
or even read the source code to be able to use the O/S.  Do you ask the
manufacturer of a spreadsheet for the sources so that you can run it?  Or
how about an editor, or other utilities.  No.  You want documentation.
VMS documentation generally suffices.  The VMS sources would fill many disks
and be unmanageable.  That's why documentation was written.  Routines are
supposed to have nice interfaces.  The online VMS help on a normal VMS system
(not tailored out of size considerations) gives fairly detailed information
on every parameter to every common system service and run-time library routine.
Using this information, someone familiar with VMS documentation conventions
(yes, under VMS we have conventions) can call any of these system services
or routines.  You can extract system structure or constant information from
system libraries.  If the UNIX documentation were as large and complete
as the complete VMS documentation, I doubt there would be room for it on
disk eithe, althoough you can order complete documentation on-line, but
you'd better order more disks.  This is a real operating system and a thorough
documentation.  Any decent documentation will provide you with user-level
examples, and not refer you to the sources for examples.  Obviously UNIX
documentation must require that.

As for being able to modify VMS, the reason why DEC sat down before hand
and designed VMS was so that there would only have to be one VMS which
satisfies everyones needs.  When you modify the basic UNIX to try to make
up for its inadequacies, you just complicate things.  When you use a nice
hook to add to or customize VMS, you use something well defined which will
work with future O/S releases, and will not hamper the use of the O/S functions
by other programs not written with the modification in mind.

VMS is more secure by far than UNIX.  The reason that people get really
excited about any discovered holes is that VMS, unlike UNIX (just ask the
government why they can't use UNIX where they can use VMS because UNIX is
insecure) is presumed to be totally secure.  Thinking that banks are less
worried about security than university campus's indicates, I believe, a
loose screw, as do the suggestions that being able to granularly define
exactly what a user may and may not do without giving away the store is
less secure than only having one privilege bit -- all or nothing.

The references to the programming interfaces just don't resemble fact in
the slihtest.

I really feel embarassed about having responded at all to such uninformed
rantings.  Yes, UNIX documetation is cheap, but you apparently can't even
use it without the source-code.  If your campus hasn't gone VMS, why would
there be doc's in the bookstore?  There are reference cards and beginners
books for about every aspect of VMS, as well as on-line tutorials, the likes
of which I've never seen under UNIX.  The architecture manual on my desk
was printed last year.  It is obvious that old books would exist in a stagnant
environment.  Take a list at the digital press book list.

I'm getting tired of this...  I don't know how many more pages of stuff
there is that I haven't directly addressed, but most of it is just bias
and user preference.  Yes, there are valid reasons for having archaic things
like UNIX around.  Is everyone suddenly going to throw aray their PC's?
No.  But I can think of a few UNIX machines they might abandon when there
is enough VMS to go around and enough documentation, etc.  All the UUCP
and usenet I've ever seen has been on a VMS VAX.  DECNET doesn't preclude
these.

I must have missed the "factual basis" in all of the "myriad" strewn throughout
the original comments.  UNIX is no standard.  So we can choose from either
DOS, or whatever the MAC runs or VMS.

dan@maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) (03/05/88)

In article <310@nancy.UUCP> mcpherso@msudoc.UUCP (=P^ZAZPPPYPYXU	zQYhBYPYo^O) writes:
>Can we *please* stop the UNIX vs. VMS argument.  We have both, we like
>both.
>
><flame on>
>
>	YOU PEOPLE ARE WASTING MY TIME!!!
>
><flame off>

Oh come on now. There are ways in most of the news reader programs to kill
all the articles with a certain subject line. I find these articles both
informative, if not a little biased, and refreshing. We too have both UNIX
and VMS on the campus and many of the arguments on both sides are valid.

Many sites are faced with the problem of which operating system is best
for their application. I hope that these articles can help them make the
best choice. Just because *we* are established and happy doesn't mean that
others are.

The discussion has gone on longer than necessary but it is dying out. I
suggest that if you don't want YOUR time WASTED and you use rn try the "k"
command.

--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan@mcmaster.BITNET

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (03/06/88)

In article <20403@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>From Steve Ward:
>>VMS has an excellent Fortran compiler and any serious Fortran number
>>cruncher in research will cry its virtues.  Unix only has one Fortran
>>compiler{  in the same league with the VMS compiler, and it is the DEC
>>Fortran-for-Ultrix compiler.

Steve has a good point here. VMS Fortran isn't bad -- it has a lot of
useful extensions and in general could almost convince me to go back
to writing Fortran code. DEC put a lot of time into making this onw
work -- would that they had spent as much time on the rest of their
language compilers (you aborters of VAX COBOL listening out there? --
get it right, you .... well, nevermind.).

My major point of issue with VMS Fortran is that 1) it is non-standard
in a lot of ways -- those useful extensions just don't move well, and
2) no machine that it runs on is fast enough to do serious number
crunching. I've been processing matrixes of dimensions larger than
1,000,000 X 1,000,000 elements as part of an image processing system,
and even an empty 8800 just doesn't cut the mustard to handle that
kind of data manipulation. We're talking DAYS of compute time here, folks.

> even DEC's largest machine can't be considered a serious
>number cruncher's machine in this day and age,

This is very true. DEC highly overrates the compute power of their
hardware. I find it extremely interesting that an IBM 4341-II (about a
780-class machine) can manage to do a comparable job to the 8800 I
mentioned above -- within 3-5 hours of compute time difference. DEC's
got to be doing *something* wrong here.

Someone once told me that 1 IBM MIP was roughly equivalent to 2.5 DEC
MIPs. Anybody else heard this and want to confirm?

>In fact, I think DEC has done an unfortunate disservice, more of a
>sociological phenomena, by plying to the scientific community and then
>leaving them out in the cold with incompatible fortran

In all fairness to DEC, you don't have to use the extensions at all
and things will port very well. I move programs from VMS Fortran to VS
Fortran on our IBM box all the time.

>and no iron to
>grow into and remain competitive with their more nimble colleagues.

True. I'd kill for a medium sized Masscomp or a Convex. Even a medium
size IBM 9370 would be an improvement.

>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (03/07/88)

in article <310@nancy.UUCP>, mcpherso@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Mike McPherson) says:

> Can we *please* stop the UNIX vs. VMS argument.  We have both, we like
> both.

Perhaps I had better make my position clear, Mike.

_We_ also have both Unix and VMS. I like both, and think each has its
strengths and weaknesses, and areas of appropriate application. I
happen to prefer Unix over anything I've ever used before since I
started programming around 1970 (DOS/VS, OS/{MFT,MVT,SVS,MVS} on the
IBM mainframe side, VMS since 2.x on the VAX side, INTERCOM/SCOPE on
CDC Cybers, RSX and RT-11 on PDP-11s. CP/M in the Z80/S-100 days,
CP/M-68K, MS/DOS, etc. as well as lots of Unixes), but that is a
personal preference, as in politics, sex and religion, and arguments
about any of these often generates more heat than light.

I push Unix not for religious reasons but for purely economic ones.
I am responsible for the deployment of systems and networks and for
the management of what is arguably the largest computer center in our
University (a matter of some dispute). I simply can not afford to deploy
VAXen. I think VAXen are well designed, reliable machines. But I know,
based on the numbers I see on the paperwork that crosses my desk, that I
can provide more cost-effective computing by buying machines from Sun,
Encore, NCR, H-P, what-have-you, than I can from DEC (or IBM for that
matter). When I say "cost effective", I'm taking more than just the
initial capital investment into account. It is my job to worry about
retraining, reliability, power requirements, air conditioning
requirements, compatibility, interoperability, maintenance,
availability, expandability, preservation of existing investment, and
a whole host of other "-ilities".

Most of all, I worry about labor costs, because they are the highest of
any of the costs I worry about: [1] the cost of my systems staff
supporting a wide variety of machines in what is necessarily a
multi-vendor environment, and [2] the cost of retraining users. "Users"
includes graduate students who must be productive, because they're
working on grant-funded projects with deadlines; and faculty researchers
who we cannot afford to pay $40K-$70K a year to learn a new operating
system and a new editor every time we deploy a new engine.

When I look at capital costs, I see a whole lotta engines that are more
cost effective than VAXen. And when I look at labor costs, I see an
operating system that runs on a wide variety of machines, minimizing my
costs for retraining my labor force.

And when I look very very carefully, I notice to my delight that these
cost effective machines just happen to all run this same operating
system. Amazing!

I have two VAXen, a 750 and a 785. I could not do with out them. But
I could not have afforded to buy them, either. I inherited each,
because, bless its heart, our industry provides absolutely no meaningful
resale value on these machines, so usually they're cheaper to keep than
to sell. Maintenance costs may shortly make that strategy invalid as
well; I am on the verge of showing it's cheaper to replace our VAXen
with Suns configured as timesharing engines, than to pay the maintenance
costs over the expected remaining live cycle of these machines.

It is not a matter of religion, Mike. It's a matter of money. And
although if I am to believe what I read lately, that there is more than
a tenuous connection between religion and money, at least here at my
University in my Department, there is a clear cut strategy for
providing adequate computing resources.

--

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/08/88)

In article <1648@uoregon.UUCP>, dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
> In article <20403@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> >
> >In fact, I think DEC has done an unfortunate disservice, more of a
> >sociological phenomena, by plying to the scientific community and then
> >leaving them out in the cold with incompatible fortran
>
> In all fairness to DEC, you don't have to use the extensions at all
> and things will port very well. I move programs from VMS Fortran to VS
> Fortran on our IBM box all the time.
>
> >and no iron to
> >grow into and remain competitive with their more nimble colleagues.
>
> True. I'd kill for a medium sized Masscomp or a Convex. Even a medium
> size IBM 9370 would be an improvement.
>

> >	-Barry Shein, Boston University
>

> --
> David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.ED

Before anybody "kill for a MASSCOMP" they might do some serious FORTRAN
benchmarking and general testing, but THAT is another story....(we have
a couple of them here....)

We also have a couple of CONVEX's and an IBM 4381, too.  The comments
from our researcher scientists and programmers about DEC Fortran are
overwhelmingly positive, in favor of it, and the dozens of annually
visiting scientists from around the globe EXPECT DEC FORTRAN to be up
and running.

Everybody loves a faster computer, one way in a multiuser environment to
get more cpu is to give the same cpu to many few concurrent users.  We
do
this with VAXes.  VAXes are getting faster, but DEC lags behind some
vendors in the fastest cpu race.  On the other hand DEC offers VAX
workstations at great prices (for us they start at about $3K each).
We run many 1 scientist to the machine and run other larger
configurations with 16 concurrent users or fewer.  The cost per user
is lowest for us with DEC VAXes of various MicroVAX and VAXstation
models.

As I said, we also have other machines, including Sun workstations,
tooo.

The only truly "fast" machines are the NSF supercomputers we access from
our networked based VMS/Ultrix VAXes, Sun's, etc.  Our approx. 150 PHD
researcher scientists on staff in this research outfit seem to do well
using a mixed machine environment, and DEC Fortran and DEC VAXes remain
quite popular among them.  I agree that you want to avoid any precooked
mindset of "one machine, one operating system, one compiler" etc, but
DEC does offer some useful and very economical options, at least to us
through our DEC University Consortium contract.  We will continue to
take advantage of the depth and breadth of market offerings that make
sense for us.  I would think that while you don't want to be locked
into a vendor, you certainly don't want to lock any vendors out, either.

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (03/09/88)

Barry Schein goes along flaming against VMS and closes:
>This is not a religious flame, I have presented myriad factual basis
>for my arguments. VMS people like to claim religious flame and
>"chocolate vs vanilla!" arguments. This is because they cannot deal

Some of the "facts" are not just true, but Barry goes on as they were
refutable. I shall comments some few points that I found wrong. (And,
actually, I think Barry could make a good televangelist. :-)

>Unix systems are relatively bundled, beyond mere hardware
>considerations most Unix systems right out of the box are completely
>useable. It can be supplemented in many significant ways with free or
>nearly free (eg.  ~$100 for an entire campus) software. VMS is heavily
>unbundled, from day one if you want so much as a compiler you begin
>layering heavy costs. And you'll pay a separate price for acquiring

Now, watch it here. A Unix system comes with a bunch of compilers
that's true. VMS does not. But what about the quality of the compilers?
My experience of Unix compilers restricts to the Fortran and Pascal
compiler that comes with 4.3 BSD on our VAX. The code they produce
have a speed which hardly is acceptable for procduction. And if you
want other languages, Ada for instance, you'll have to buy that
separately also for Unix.

>The claim that Unix is somehow less secure than VMS is a red herring.

Ah, good televangelist preaching!

>privilege you won't want to give to a user (I'm not sure I want to go
>into the whole mess of the zillions of VMS "privilege" bits which
>you'll never fully understand the implications of and will almost
>surely end up giving away the store because some reasonable thing can
>only be accomplished by giving a user some dangerous privilege bit,

But, hey, you argue for Unix for that yuo can keep the security because
you can have the source code. But with the same arguments you use against
the VMS privilieges, can be used against the code: Will you ever fully
understand it? Zillions of line of code. (Zillion seems to mean 30+ here.)

>Unix's single privilege scheme [root or not root] is much more secure,
>you just don't give out root privs and you know exactly what can and
>cannot be done by the two sets of users on your system, who wants to
>calculate the permutations of 30+ priv bits and what they might imply
>singly and in combination?.)

Sure. I also use one single screwdriver, no matter the size of the screws.
Some of the screws get damaged, so what? It's much simpler that way.

Seriuosly: The VMS privilieges makes it possible to just use those
you need at the moment. And for giving away: Very few students ever
need more than NETMBX and TMPMBX. They should have *very* good reasons
for getting any other.

>VMS. There's some on-line help in VMS but it's designed to sell
>manuals or supplement them, the details are always missing
>(purposely.)
>
>Most Unix systems come with on-line, complete manual sets with the
>exact same text used to produce the printed manuals.  Thus, what's the
>cost to a student for Unix manuals? For $0 (zero) they can get

This is a damned lie!

If I look up the man-page for the Pascal compiler on our machine I
learn about the compiler, but for the langauge as such I am referred
to a separate document, which is not on the machine, at least the man-
page gives me no reference.

If you do HELP PASCAL on VAX machine you'll be able to get the most
of the language definition. OK, the complete definition is in the
orange binder, but you make it very good with the HELP facility.

And for the Unix with the on-line help exactly as the printed ones:
When you read from a terminal you're more likely to skim for certain
information. Plunging through a long man-page is no fun. VMS' hierarical
HELP is much better here.

And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.

I could continue, but I shall not. I think a campus should have
some Unix systems since they are quite frequent in the real world.
They should also have some non-Unix systems, since Unix systems
are so frequent in the real world. The student should get more than
one view.

--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (03/09/88)

In article <910@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:

>> True. I'd kill for a medium sized Masscomp or a Convex. Even a medium
>> size IBM 9370 would be an improvement.
>> David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.ED
>Before anybody "kill for a MASSCOMP" they might do some serious FORTRAN
>benchmarking and general testing, but THAT is another story....(we have
>a couple of them here....)

I did. Our Masscomp (owned by the chem dept.) outperforms all the VAX
equipment on campus except the 8800, and the 8800 doesn't beat it by
much. They're zippy little boxes, and considering that I can buy one
outright for the price of the license for VMS and FORTRAN for a year
and get an OS license and compilers in the bargain, I'd rather let it
sit there and munge.... In defense of DEC, the chem Masscomp does
have their high-performance FPU, but still -- there's a lot of
difference there.

>Everybody loves a faster computer, one way in a multiuser environment to
>get more cpu is to give the same cpu to many few concurrent users.  We
>do
>this with VAXes.  VAXes are getting faster, but DEC lags behind some
>vendors in the fastest cpu race.  On the other hand DEC offers VAX
>workstations at great prices (for us they start at about $3K each).
>We run many 1 scientist to the machine and run other larger
>configurations with 16 concurrent users or fewer.  The cost per user
>is lowest for us with DEC VAXes of various MicroVAX and VAXstation
>models.

Well, this is all well and good, PROVIDED you can afford to do what
you just described. Out here in reality, is simply NOT economically
possible to buy 1 machine for every 16 or so researchers -- the money
just isn't there.

>DEC does offer some useful and very economical options, at least to us
>through our DEC University Consortium contract.  We will continue to
>take advantage of the depth and breadth of market offerings that make
>sense for us.  I would think that while you don't want to be locked
>into a vendor, you certainly don't want to lock any vendors out, either.

Economical? Let's be serious here. Unless you are getting some
TREMENDOUS knockoff, a uVax II or a Vaxstation still costs a pretty
penny to get comparable performance to any of an arbitrarily large
number of other machines. It's very much like IBM -- the technology
may not be fast and flashy, but it'll be there tomorrow still plugging
away -- kind of like the difference between a Porsche 944 turbo and a
Ford Fairlane.

Ack.

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1
UO Computing Center | UUCP: dboyes@uoregon.UUCP
'How long d'ya think it'll be before just us oldtimers remember WISCVM?'

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) (03/09/88)

I don't understand these OS wars here in comp.os.vms.  I mean, the two
major operating systems are both, for the most part, proprietary.  If you
don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
proprietary" it really is!

The DEC Educational Software Library is *not* just for workstations, at
least as far as I've been able to tell from the literature we have here.
MicroVAX II, MicroVAX 2000, VAXstation 2000 ...  If you wish to pay for
an unlimited VMS license, you can still get the Library.  True, the VAXstation
2000 is limited to two users -- but that is its *function* ... workstations
are one-two person computers folks.

Now then, all we have to wait for is POSIX (not a tm of AT&T) and this
silly argument will go away.

In article <4236@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>, davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) writes:
> I don't understand these OS wars here in comp.os.vms.  I mean, the two
> major operating systems are both, for the most part, proprietary.  If you
> don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
> without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
> proprietary" it really is!

There are some UNIX-like operating systems out there which were written
without reference to so much as one line of AT&T code, and as such AT&T
has not to my knowledge raised any challenge thereto.  (MINIX is one such
OS.)  However, none of these systems may legally be called a UNIX operating
system; they are typically billed as "UNIX-like" or "UNIX-compatible."
I honestly don't know whether this is because of (strategic?) magnanimity
on the part of AT&T (as was the release for public use without royalty of
the "setuid bit" patent) or whether it is truly out of AT&T's legal reach.
(I am, you note, covering my behind.)  I also don't know whether implementors
of VMS-like environments (there are some out there) must license the right
from DEC.
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/11/88)

In article <1663@uoregon.UUCP>, dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
> In article <910@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
> >>
> >> True. I'd kill for a medium sized Masscomp or a Convex. Even a medium
> >> size IBM 9370 would be an improvement.
> >> David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.ED
> >Before anybody "kill for a MASSCOMP" they might do some serious FORTRAN
> >benchmarking and general testing, but THAT is another story....(we have
> >a couple of them here....)
>
> I did. Our Masscomp (owned by the chem dept.) outperforms all the VAX
> equipment on campus except the 8800, and the 8800 doesn't beat it by
> much. They're zippy little boxes, and considering that I can buy one
> outright for the price of the license for VMS and FORTRAN for a year
> and get an OS license and compilers in the bargain, I'd rather let it
> sit there and munge.... In defense of DEC, the chem Masscomp does
> have their high-performance FPU, but still -- there's a lot of
> difference there.
>
> >Everybody loves a faster computer, one way in a multiuser environment to
> >get more cpu is to give the same cpu to many few concurrent users.  We
> >do
> >this with VAXes.  VAXes are getting faster, but DEC lags behind some
> >vendors in the fastest cpu race.  On the other hand DEC offers VAX
> >workstations at great prices (for us they start at about $3K each).
> >We run many 1 scientist to the machine and run other larger
> >configurations with 16 concurrent users or fewer.  The cost per user
> >is lowest for us with DEC VAXes of various MicroVAX and VAXstation
> >models.
>
> Well, this is all well and good, PROVIDED you can afford to do what
> you just described. Out here in reality, is simply NOT economically
> possible to buy 1 machine for every 16 or so researchers -- the money
> just isn't there.
>
> >DEC does offer some useful and very economical options, at least to us
> >through our DEC University Consortium contract.  We will continue to
> >take advantage of the depth and breadth of market offerings that make
> >sense for us.  I would think that while you don't want to be locked
> >into a vendor, you certainly don't want to lock any vendors out, either.
>
> Economical? Let's be serious here. Unless you are getting some
> TREMENDOUS knockoff, a uVax II or a Vaxstation still costs a pretty
> penny to get comparable performance to any of an arbitrarily large
> number of other machines. It's very much like IBM -- the technology
> may not be fast and flashy, but it'll be there tomorrow still plugging
> away -- kind of like the difference between a Porsche 944 turbo and a
> Ford Fairlane.
>
> Ack.
>

> --
> David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Well, we do get good prices from DEC.  As I said, a VS2000 with a
one year onsite maint. warranty starts about $3300 and tops about
$10K (color, 6MB, RD54,etc) with both VMS/Ultrix licenses and licenses
for another dozen VMS software products, or so.

Last year we configured some VAXStation II's with 16MB of memory,
Ethernet, VMS/DECnet/Fortran, etc. and Excelan TCP/IP, 1.2 Gigabyte
of MAXTOR disks for under $25K each.  The machines included 16-user
VMS licenses, which is my  existing major complaint against DEC.  DEC
will not sell add-on multiuser VMS licenses for VAXStations anymore.
I can buy VAXStation II's starting at $10K with all the software I
mentioned for the VS2000's included, but no longer can get the VM<S
multiuser licenses for them.  We set up an LAVC of VSii's with
the configuration I mentioned.  For the average user disk capacity,
central disk backup requirements, and other requirements we had,
we found this approach to be by far and away the most economical on a
cost per user basis.

By the way, I just recently bought some MAXTOR 8760 (760MB) drives
for $3300 each.  Being willing to integrate a few third party
peripherals does really help to bring the cost down.    The cost
of the disk capacity I added to the LAVC last year is now half of what
was paid last year, meaning that now I can add 2.4 GB of disk space
with appropriate controller, chassis, power supply, cables to a
Q-bus MicroVAX/VAXStation for about $15K.

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (03/12/88)

In article <2258@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <284@wright.EDU> jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
>>DEC has delivered a
>>proposal for a 6MIPS VAX for $1.2M. Six months ago I purchased,
>>received, and deployed our Sun-3/280S, a 4MIPS engine for under
>>$100K.

Well, I just got my FPA installed in my HP9000/350 (multi-user HP-UX)
turning this 4 MIPS machine (4.7 times VAX integer, they say)
into a 3.5 MWhets number cruncher.  This is an amazing speed at
an amazingly low total price (less than the equivalent of $50k for the lot).
I am just now installing an Ariel FFT processor (at $1,600) to improve
the speed even further (1024 point complex FFT in 9 ms, 256 point real
FFT in less tan 1 ms).

Similar workstations are available from Sun, Apollo, Masscomp and others.
This just shows that today's personal "super"-workstations have turned
traditional minis (like the VAXen) obsolete.

An added benefit is that all workstations use (some type of) UN*X.

-Bo
--

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/13/88)

>I don't understand these OS wars here in comp.os.vms.  I mean, the two
>major operating systems are both, for the most part, proprietary.  If you
>don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
>without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
>proprietary" it really is!

Several companies and organizations have done exactly this, among them
are IDRIS from Whitesmith's, UNOS from Charles River Data Systems,
Doug Comer's XINU, Andy Tannenbaum's MINIX, something called TRIX I
don't honestly know much about. Richard Stallman's Free Software
Foundation has committed to providing such a system in the near future
and has many of the utilities needed already available, the kernel is
in development.

I suppose someone could do the same with VMS although that remains
much more hypothetical. I guess in all fairness one can point to some
of the VMS compatibility products available under Unix systems such as
ELXSI's EMBOS (I think that's right) and others which include features
like a VMS compatible Fortran, I assume some of the libraries for that
tho probably a small subset, I think EMBOS even comes with a
home-grown DCL, EMBOS is not unique, Sun and others are shipping
similar products.

Anyhow, the point's moot I believe, I don't think the ability to write
a look-alike product (or not) is a test of proprietariness, at least
not inasmuch as it has been discussed here. The real point was whether
or not other companies could take the source code, modify it, put it
on their own iron and market it simply by paying a royalty fee to the
owners. In the case of Unix, yes, and many many companies owe their
livelihood to this fact, in the case of VMS, no, not really, I suppose
one could split hairs over the third-party repackagers (people who
take vaxes and vms and do various repackaging under their own labels,
VARs, OEMs, whatever) but it really would be just that, splitting
hairs.

However, you are right in one regard, there is no doubt that AT&T owns
Unix (whatever that means exactly, certainly the trademark "Unix" and
the specific source code they have covered with their licenses), that
is not by any stretch of the imagination in the "public domain".
Whether the look and feel or interface is proprietary is another issue
that's really a legal one not completely up to the wishes of any vendor.

The real point is, however, that AT&T has made their software quite
available for use as a platform for commercial ventures of almost any
type. Although $40,000 may seem like a lot of money for a commercial
source license (the first thing you need) it really isn't, it's very
cheap to someone planning on going into the software business (other
than garage start-ups), probably less than you'll pay for any one
employee's one year salary. The binary redistribution rights entail
some flat fee (I forget what, but something like $20K one-time) and a
royalty that varies, usually around $150 per system, enough to allow
the current IBM/PC versions (typically around $500 retail.)

Anyhow, I guess it's more of a semantic disagreement over exactly
what "proprietary" means.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/13/88)

Well Steve, the prices you are getting Vaxes for certainly must be
coloring your opinions a little. I suppose if I could get a VS2000
with one-year on-site for $3K I might think a little differently also.

As it stands I believe the last thing DEC ever offered around here was
5% or some such if we promised to do volume business, or maybe it was
5% but a little more if we did volume, I forget, I guess the laughter
was too loud in the room.

Things like that can really change one's view of what competitive
price performance really means, no? I think we're more typical and
Harvard has some sort of sweetheart deal (hey, good for them) that
can't really be factored into the rest of our decisions.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

schwartz@psuvax1.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (03/13/88)

In article <4236@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:
>I don't understand these OS wars here in comp.os.vms.  I mean, the two
>major operating systems are both, for the most part, proprietary.  If you
>don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
>without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
>proprietary" it really is!

Ha ha ha.  Ever heard of the Free Software Foundation?  They are writing
a unix compatable OS that will be free for all.  Currently the FSF is
negotiating with Berkeley to have the BSD utilities declared free
(as many of them have already been) and with CMU for the ok to use MACH as
the kernel.  AT&T gets nothing.

More to the point, AT&T has already source licenced UNIX to tons of other
companies.  Many companies have written unix look alikes, too.
If you want unix, you are never chained to one vendor.

#disclaimer <unix is a trademark of western electric co.,
             but a rose by any other name... >			:-) :-)

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/14/88)

I always love when someone starts off all hell-in-blazes that they
are about to rip someone to shreds and then manages to fire their
blanks into the air...

From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
>Some of the "facts" are not just true, but Barry goes on as they were
>refutable. I shall comments some few points that I found wrong. (And,
>actually, I think Barry could make a good televangelist. :-)

Yeah, ok, we're waiting...

>>Unix systems are relatively bundled, beyond mere hardware
>Now, watch it here. A Unix system comes with a bunch of compilers
>that's true. VMS does not. But what about the quality of the compilers?

Are they bundled or not? I'm sorry you don't like the quality of the
compilers, they seem to serve quite a number of people fairly well. Is
this supposed to be a devastating refutation of my claim that Unix is
more bundled? Can you spell bullshit, I knew you could.

>And if you
>want other languages, Ada for instance, you'll have to buy that
>separately also for Unix.

No one said nothing was for sale for Unix, that every imaginable piece
of software was available on the dist tape, just that it was
*usefully* bundled. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you could.

>>The claim that Unix is somehow less secure than VMS is a red herring.
>Ah, good televangelist preaching!

Another devastating feat of logic, I'm humbled.

>But, hey, you argue for Unix for that yuo can keep the security because
>you can have the source code. But with the same arguments you use against
>the VMS privilieges, can be used against the code: Will you ever fully
>understand it? Zillions of line of code. (Zillion seems to mean 30+ here.)

Oh, I see, you fix security bugs in VMS by playing with the security
privilege bits. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you could.

>This is a damned lie!
>
>If I look up the man-page for the Pascal compiler on our machine I
>learn about the compiler, but for the langauge as such I am referred
>to a separate document, which is not on the machine, at least the man-
>page gives me no reference.

A lie? I dunno, it's on my machine in /usr/doc, go speak to your
vendor, or tell your sysadmins not to delete the docs. The pc command
should document the pc command, not the entire Pascal language. I
think you use the term "liar" a little freely.

>And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
>Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
>arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.

I don't mention it because I believe it's a chocolate/vanilla issue I
specifically said I would avoid. Or would you like to give us all a
good definition "arcane", with units preferably, perhaps something
like measured learning curves etc. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you
could.

>I could continue, but I shall not. I think a campus should have
>some Unix systems since they are quite frequent in the real world.
>They should also have some non-Unix systems, since Unix systems
>are so frequent in the real world. The student should get more than
>one view.

And if you bothered to read my note I said the same thing.
Devastating, truly, I hope you don't do this sort of thing for a
living.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (03/15/88)

Barry Shein (bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU) responds to my article and ask if
can spell a certain word. Hm, let's see. Was it "bolschytt", no, hm...
No I give up. Anyway, doesn' matter, Mr. Scein seems to know quite
well how write it.

>Are they bundled or not? I'm sorry you don't like the quality of the
>compilers, they seem to serve quite a number of people fairly well. Is

I don't know. May be they only know Unix compilers and believe that all
langauges but C are so goddamn slow. They should try some on VMS :-)

>>But, hey, you argue for Unix for that yuo can keep the security because
>>you can have the source code. But with the same arguments you use against
>>the VMS privilieges, can be used against the code: Will you ever fully
>>understand it? Zillions of line of code. (Zillion seems to mean 30+ here.)
>
>Oh, I see, you fix security bugs in VMS by playing with the security
>privilege bits.

No. First you argue in favour of Unix that the code is available,
intimating that anyone can hack around with it. Then you argue
against the security system of VMS, and say that is too complicated.
If you can't learn to understand the VMS privilieges you will never
grasp your Unix code either.

>A lie? I dunno, it's on my machine in /usr/doc, go speak to your
>vendor, or tell your sysadmins not to delete the docs. The pc command
>should document the pc command, not the entire Pascal language. I
>think you use the term "liar" a little freely.

On my machine, it is not. And if it had, it would have been of no
interest, since "man pc" doesn't refer to it. (I don't say that the
pc page should describe Pascal, but it should give the reference.
And it does. But not to an on-line document.)

>>And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
>>Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
>>arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.
>
>I don't mention it because I believe it's a chocolate/vanilla issue I
>specifically said I would avoid.

Well, may be as a acquinted Unix user you may find user interfaces
as just a matter of taste. Me, who being used to a slightly more
modern fashion, think it is. (Wonder if you call pipes and redirection
as a chocolate/vanilla issue as well. That's typically a thing I find
nice to have, but can live without. Guess why.)

>And if you bothered to read my note I said the same thing.

Sorry, if I missed it. But your article was so full emotional arguments
and intimations about DEC's motives for doing things, it was hard to
see the wood for the trees.
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm

nevin1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (00704a-Liber) (03/19/88)

Well, Erland, I guess I get to argue with you in another group :-) :-)!!

First off, my background:  I have been both a general user and system
administrator on both Unix and VMS systems.  Currently, I prefer Unix, but
I think that that is just a personal preference.  I really don't want to
add fuel to the OS war, but I don't like it when people make points
through invalid arguments.

In article <2814@enea.se> sommar@enea.UUCP(Erland Sommarskog) writes:
.
.Now, watch it here. A Unix system comes with a bunch of compilers
.that's true. VMS does not. But what about the quality of the compilers?
.My experience of Unix compilers restricts to the Fortran and Pascal
.compiler that comes with 4.3 BSD on our VAX. The code they produce
.have a speed which hardly is acceptable for procduction. And if you
.want other languages, Ada for instance, you'll have to buy that
.separately also for Unix.

Come on, give it some time.  Until recently, Unix was not even considered
for doing anything but development.  And not all VMS compilers are all that
great, either.  The Modula-2 compiler I used did SEVEN passes!!  Nor have I
ever seen a VMS Pascal comppiler that works nearly as well as Turbo Pascal
for PCs!  Is this a fault of the OS??  I think not.  As more and more
demands are made better and better compilers will be written.

..The claim that Unix is somehow less secure than VMS is a red herring.
.
.Ah, good televangelist preaching!
.
.Seriuosly: The VMS privilieges makes it possible to just use those
.you need at the moment. And for giving away: Very few students ever
.need more than NETMBX and TMPMBX. They should have *very* good reasons
.for getting any other.

Sorry, but the VMS privileges do NOT make it possible to give out only just
what is needed.  When you give a student NETMBX and TMPMBX privileges,
exactly what do they have access to that they didn't have before??  When
you give out privileges, you give people access to a whole bunch of
things, and not necessarily just the stuff they need access to.  For
instance, create an account to allow someone to make full backups of the
hard drive onto a tape device, and see how much more access to the system
he/she has.

When I was a student using VMS (before I was a VMS system administrator),
there were certain things we weren't supposed to be able to do, such as
copy files among students (they disconnected SET FILE /PROT), print
help files, and boost our priority (boy, do you get in trouble when you run
at priority 15 and you get caught :-)); yet I managed to do all these
things with only NETMBX and TMPMBX.  And I wasn't even trying to break
security!  VMS seems to promote security thru obscurity!!  Many VMS sys
admins feel their system is secure because they can't think of ways to
break it.

Unix sysadmins, however, can understand their security problems because
they can learn about how the OS works.  However, most users have access to
this same information, which means that the security issues really have
to be thought all the way out.  To say that VMS is more secure than Unix or
vice-versa is ridiculous.  They just have different security issues, that's
all.

.And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
.Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
.arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.

One letter options are not really part of the OS user interface, per-se.
Each command handles it's own arguments (although there are standard system
calls such as getopt() so that some sort of consistency can be maintained).
The user interface of Unix is really the shell (Bourne, Korn, csh, vsh,
etc.).  And if you want to write your own interface, go do it!  It's not
that hard.  Try doing it for VMS!!

If you really want to continue the war on VMS vs Unix, you had better come
up with some much better arguments!!  What I would really like to see,
however, is how to incorporate the best of both OSs into a new OS (this
probably belongs in another newsgroup, however).
--
 _ __			NEVIN J. LIBER	..!ihnp4!ihlpf!nevin1	(312) 510-6194
' )  )				"The secret compartment of my ring I fill

john@basser.oz (John Mackin) (03/20/88)

In article <90rrk@byuvax.bitnet> rrk@byuvax.bitnet writes:

> VMS most definately [sic] does not lock you into an architecture or a hardware.

Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho!

John.

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (03/21/88)

Nevin J. Liber (nevin1@ihlpf.UUCP) writes:
>Come on, give it some time.  Until recently, Unix was not even considered
>for doing anything but development.  And not all VMS compilers are all that
>great, either.  The Modula-2 compiler I used did SEVEN passes!!  Nor have I
>ever seen a VMS Pascal comppiler that works nearly as well as Turbo Pascal
>for PCs!

My point was was that it's not simply one-to-one between layered VMS
compilers and bundled Unix compilers. You do get something for that
extra money. As a side note: We bought an Ada compiler to our Unix
machine for a good deal of money. The code it produces is not over-
whelming, but it leaves the bundled "f77" and "pc" far behind.
  What's wrong with seven passes, by the way? VAX-Pascal uses eight or so.
I would also say that compiler works very well. I have no experience
of Turbo, though.

>Unix sysadmins, however, can understand their security problems because
>they can learn about how the OS works.

I guess as there are knowledgeable and ignorant system managers for VMS,
it's the same for Unix machines.

>To say that VMS is more secure than Unix or
>vice-versa is ridiculous.  They just have different security issues, that's
>all.

I wouldn't say that it's ridiculous. VMS 4.3, was approved for the C2
level of security. Unix is not even near of this. VMS certainly has much
more sophisticated and diversified tools for controlling access than
Unix: Privilieges, access control lists, rights indentifiers etc. You call
that ridiculous?
(I don't know if any higher versions of VMS have been approved, anyone
who knows?)

>One letter options are not really part of the OS user interface, per-se.
>Each command handles it's own arguments (although there are standard system
>calls such as getopt() so that some sort of consistency can be maintained).
>The user interface of Unix is really the shell (Bourne, Korn, csh, vsh,
>etc.).  And if you want to write your own interface, go do it!  It's not
>that hard.  Try doing it for VMS!!

The same drivel as always. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but the
vast bulk of Unix program use one-letter options, and it is also the
preferred standard. And if they have longer names, they are seldom
abbriavatable. When you are used to CDU on VMS, getopt really seems
like the poor man's replacement.
  And, yes, I know I can write my own shell, but is that realistic?
Let's keep the discussion what is actually being provided, not what
I could theoretically write myself.
  (And I doubt that a CLI for VMS would be that harder to write than
a Unix shell. In VMS I have to load the command tables. In Unix I have
to expand wild cards in file names.)
--

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/21/88)

From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
>I wouldn't say that it's ridiculous. VMS 4.3, was approved for the C2
>level of security. Unix is not even near of this.

Just for the record, Gould sells govt approved C2 Unix. C2 isn't that
hard. It's also a bad thing to throw around as a feature, people
should read what these classifications mean, particularly B and above,
I would imagine most of them wouldn't actually want this level of
security on their systems (for example, it can requre you don't allow
file sharing of any sort between users.) There's security and there's
security, you have to be careful what is being discussed, this is
spook stuff mostly, not what you might think.

Of course, certain govt agencies require these security levels,
whatever the cost to "user friendliness", and that's fine I guess,
just irrelevant to most of us who just want to feel our accounts and
files are guaranteed integrity (as opposed to foiling two enemy agents
on a system from passing data back and forth by signaling with morse
code on an enqueue flag, etc., the kind of thought that motivates the
orange book requirements.)

Also certification means that it can be operated at these security
levels, that the proper tools to do so and features have been
implemented (or not implemented, as the case may be.) There is a
definite operational requirement that the system be administered in a
certain way, it's not like it's something everyone who operates such a
system achieves by just buying it. For example, as has been said many
times, if you're on a network, you ain't secure, at least not by their
standards, not a fun restriction (secure networks can be built, but
that's not what we've all been putting in, Unix, VMS whatever.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (03/22/88)

In article <20597@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> >And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
> >Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
> >arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.
>
> I don't mention it because I believe it's a chocolate/vanilla issue I
> specifically said I would avoid. Or would you like to give us all a
> good definition "arcane", with units preferably, perhaps something
> like measured learning curves etc. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you
> could.

    Any Eunuchs programmer could easily: bllsht.  Anyone else could spell it
    correctly.

    Shall we compare learning curves?  A new user on VMS can learn more in
    less time because the options make sense.  For instance, what does "-s"
    mean as opposed to "-S" as opposed to "/system" or "/security"?  Which
    would make more sense to a new user?

    And what about consistency?  A comparison of a (hypothetical) command on
    Eunuchs and VMS:

	    flame/full/type=(eunuchs,consistency) commands
	       vs
            flame -f -t=(eunuchs,consistency) commands

    In the VMS environment, the command would be parsed (and verified
    syntactically correct) in a consistent manner before the program (image)        was even loaded.  In the Eunuchs evironment, the command parsing is left
    totally up to the programmer.  This means a wide variety (and
    inconsistent) method of parsing between programmers.  (Sometimes the
    options to the "-" command must follow immediately, other times a space,
    and other times an equals.)

    This was a problem in the AmigaDOS environment before ARP (AmigaDOS
    Replacement Project) came along.  AmigaDOS parses the commands just like
    Eunuchs (inconsistencies included) and with cryptic "-" commands.  ARP
    provides a standard library of routines to parse the command line
    arguements in a consistent manner.  These libraries are available for
    use of all Amiga programmers to provide this consistency.  Something
    like this is _*DESPERATELY*_ needed in all Eunuchs like environments.

    P.S.: If the Eunuchs programmer really wants to, he(/she/it) can parse
    the command line totally him(/her/it)self.  This is to provide Eunuchs
    compatability for those who want it.  Could Eunuchs (and like
    environments) provide optional and consistent command line parsing.
    Another thought on Eunuchs: Get an editor.
--
---  /\  ------------ Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC} ---- #include <flamesuit.h> -----
    /\/\  .    /\   | "Those who don't understand VMS are condemmed to reinvent

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (03/22/88)

     Before you flame me (see my previous article), I posted the previous
     article from a soapbox.  Please, take it with a large grain of salt.
     The opinions expressed are my own, but they were undilluted with
     tolerance.

     VMS has it's good points, but Unix is does too.  I would like to become
     as proficient with Unix as I am with VMS.
--
---  /\  ------------ Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC} ---- #include <flamesuit.h> -----
    /\/\  .    /\   | "This space intentionally left blank"

darin@laic.UUCP (Darin Johnson) (03/22/88)

Ok, I have been staying out of the fray, but I will put in my two sense
worth (or as a recent DEC magazine said - 10 cents for uucp message :-)

I learned UNIX and VMS in school - both without instruction (and with
projects due in two weeks after start of class).  Right now, I spend
80% of my time as a VMS programmer (system utilities/management) and
the rest as a UNIX manager.

I must admit VMS was much quicker to pick up (after one hour tutorial).
I just kept trying a few commands until one of them worked (REMOVE vs. DELETE).
This part was not as easy as UNIX.  As a beginner, I found the
help equally useful (we had a help command on our unixes, as well as man).
The VMS editor at the time was EDT, which I abhored.  Most of the vt series
terminals on campus were used quite a bit, so I was forced to either
use line mode, or redraw a lot with ANSI-but-not-DEC compatible terminals.
Albeit, VI is no marvel of engineering, after a one-hour intro, I was able
to edit quite well on any terminal that happened to be open (especially my
$300 adm3a).  Later on, a friend and I wrote our own VMS editor just to
avoid EDT.  Now of course, I use TPU and/or EMACS (Emacs on UNIX/VMS/Amiga
all works the same).

However, after I became slightly proficient at both OS's, I found
UNIX to be much easier to keep learning new tricks and easier ways to
do things, such as pipes, job control, etc.  VMS however, I was pretty
much stuck at my same level of competence.  When it got around to
doing system's level programming, I found UNIX much easier to use. To do
the same with VMS required ALWAYS yanking out the manuals, HELP was
pretty useless as it never told what I needed to know (such as
what parameter to put into an item list to $GETJPI).  UNIX online
manuals almost always told what you needed or else referred you to the
manual page that did.  Programming in C made VMS just that much worse.
Everything to all system calls usually required passing by reference,
passing null parameters, using descriptors, treating a 1 return code
as succeeding, etc.  I admit, if you program in MACRO, FORTRAN, etc.,
then you don't have to worry about these details.
I have only seen UNIX source once, and only then to track down what
I thought was a bug.  I have never used it to figure out how to do
something (although some people have implied that the manual pages
are useless without source code).

As far as system cost, bundles software, etc. I should point out that
there are quite a few machines here that don't have "necessities" or "luxuries"
for VMS, just because of limited budgets.  Some people have actually said
that they would have bought the "whatsit" package if it didn't cost $20,000
(they then went and bought it for a uVAX for ~$1000 :-)

I can probably summarize by saying that the learning curve on VMS starts out
steep, but quickly levels out, while the learning curve for UNIX is pretty much
opposite.  They meet in the middle somewhere.  Of course, as most people
have said, try to get a mix of both (our campus also had Burroughs with CANDE
which no-one knew how to use :-).  I haven't gone into too many details of
what I like/dislike about each system since enough people are bashing these
issues around.

> As far as the communities "rapidly switching to UNIX", as far as it goes
> on VAX's, the existing base of VAX's is (last time I checked) 60% VMS, 40%
> UNIX.  The new VAX's being shipped are about 80% VMS, 20% UNIX.

I read different and conflicting figures everywhere I look :-)  I do know
of at least one machine licensed for VMS, but actually running BSD Unix
(mostly because DEC used to not service machines with non-DEC software,
but this has changed), and quite a few machines originally bought with
VMS, but then converted to UNIX.  I suppose some figures take this stuff
into account, and others don't.  I have even seen some reports that
show x% UNIX when they meant ULTRIX.  Do they show the figures of VAXen shipped
without either one (to put someone elses unix on it)?

*** flame on - replies to this flame ignored ***
> So we can choose from either
> DOS, or whatever the MAC runs or VMS.

I myself, would prefer that MS-DOS, MAC, and other LemmingWare should
not be discussed in the same breath as real-operating systems:
VMS, UNIX, AmigaDos (well, perhaps Kickstart 2.0).

--
Darin Johnson (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...lll-lcc.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/22/88)

In article <341@wsccs.UUCP>, val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) writes:
> In article <20597@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> > >And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
> > >Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
> > >arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.
> >
> > I don't mention it because I believe it's a chocolate/vanilla issue I
> > specifically said I would avoid. Or would you like to give us all a
> > good definition "arcane", with units preferably, perhaps something
> > like measured learning curves etc. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you
> > could.
>
>     Any Eunuchs programmer could easily: bllsht.  Anyone else could spell it
>     correctly.

Actually, Val, it would be blsht.  Doubled consonants are usually eliminated,
too :-).

>     Shall we compare learning curves?  A new user on VMS can learn more in
>     less time because the options make sense.  For instance, what does "-s"
>     mean as opposed to "-S" as opposed to "/system" or "/security"?  Which
>     would make more sense to a new user?

It would depend on several factors:

	1) The user's previous experience

		For instance, MS-DOS, CP/M, MP/M, and most older DEC user
		interfaces all used single character options.

	2) How the user "remembers"

		Does the user perceive things visually, or does he/she
		perceive tactorily or dimensionally?  Does the user
		remember commands via analogy?  Or auditorily (remembers
		only the commands he/she was told verbally or that he/she
		verbalized themselves (many programmers talk to themselves,
		for instance repeating variable names to themselves while
		switching edit sessions, etc).

	3) Can the user spell

		I have caught myself spelling keywords wrong a number of
		times on many systems (I'm dyslexic).  Longer commands are
		harder for me to get correct (Although, interestingly enough,
		I can feel my fingers mispelling something and correct using
		the backspace immediately, accounting for my 80 WPM average
		typing spped).

>     And what about consistency?

I won't flame your example except to say it was inconsitant with UNIX
parameterization.  Generally, your consistancy argument is basically one of
user interface preferences... I won't say chocolate vs. vanilla, as that is
a rather misguided analogy.

>     In the VMS environment, the command would be parsed (and verified
>     syntactically correct) in a consistent manner before the program (image)
>     was even loaded.

	Only if the command was defined prior to invoking it; this is not true
of "external" commands.  While I believe CLD's to be, in general, a good idea,
there are a number of drawbacks, making them more difficult to impliment than
external commands:

	1) No non-error inducing way to check programatically if a CLD is
	   defined.  I can't tell, from within the program, whether or not
	   I should try to parse the command line as a CLD or as an external
	   command without setting up an error trap; something which is not
	   shown as a source-code example in the manuals.

	2) One must resort to non-portable calls to get CLD information, as
	   opposed to main( ac, av) parsing.

>     In the Eunuchs evironment, the command parsing is left totally up to
>     the programmer.

	I agree, that while there are some merits to this approach (faster
	testing of quick-and-dirty programs and less source code and less
	debugging of external files), it does lead to the non-uniform
	implimentation of command lines by bad programmers.  A CLD or BTOS
	style command interface would probably lend a great deal to UNIX.
	Note, however, that CLD's are a feature of DCL, the command
	interpreter, not of VMS.  A *very* VMS-style interface, down to the
	implimentation of VMS-compatable library routines has been done under
	UNIX by the Celerity corporation.

>  This means a wide variety (and inconsistent) method of parsing between
>  programmers.  (Sometimes the options to the "-" command must follow
>  immediately, other times a space, and other times an equals.)

	I agree that this has been a problem in the past; one of the goals of
	the proposed POSIX standard is to rectify this, however. Where did
	you find the '='?  The only place that comes to mind is the 'dd'
	command, an originally student-written utility adopted from Berkely.
	I could, as easily, expect all DECUS software to be consistant.  Agreed
	that it should not have been adopted without cleanup.  But it is the
	fault of the development environment, NOT UNIX itself.

>     This was a problem in the AmigaDOS environment before ARP (AmigaDOS
>     Replacement Project) came along.  AmigaDOS parses the commands just like
>     Eunuchs (inconsistencies included) and with cryptic "-" commands.  ARP
>     provides a standard library of routines to parse the command line
>     arguements in a consistent manner.  These libraries are available for
>     use of all Amiga programmers to provide this consistency.  Something
>     like this is _*DESPERATELY*_ needed in all Eunuchs like environments.

	Obviously, you have not explored _all_ ARP commands! ;-).

>     P.S.: If the Eunuchs programmer really wants to, he(/she/it) can parse
>     the command line totally him(/her/it)self.  This is to provide Eunuchs
>     compatability for those who want it.  Could Eunuchs (and like
>     environments) provide optional and consistent command line parsing.

	Obviously, according to your first sentence, this is possible, but
	it is up to the programmer (that's you!) to do so.  And again, this
	is a feature of the programs under UNIX, not UNIX itself.

>     Another thought on Eunuchs: Get an editor.

	Not UNIX; a program under UNIX.

I think that what Val and everyone else have been bandying about with such a
show of hormone-induced religious mania are *NOT* UNIX and VMS, per se, but
in reality, the developement environments provided by each.  Nowhere has it
been argued the relative merits of a message passing architecture vs. a pure
turing architecture, or any other features of the operating systems themselves.

Do you have _any_ idea how VMS or UNIX does page allocation or timeslicing for
task switches?

By the way, Val, you spelled "UNIX" incorrectly... perhaps you are in need of
a developement operating environment which is not so demanding on spelling ;-).

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 }                          |
| @ Century Software          : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

In article <342@wsccs.UUCP>, val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) writes:
}
}      Before you flame me (see my previous article), I posted the previous
}      article from a soapbox.  Please, take it with a large grain of salt.
}      The opinions expressed are my own, but they were undilluted with
}      tolerance.
}
}      VMS has it's good points, but Unix is does too.  I would like to become
}      as proficient with Unix as I am with VMS.

	Too late; gotcha.

				terry@century

dave@sea375.UUCP (David A. Wilson) (03/22/88)

in article <2886@enea.se>, sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) says:

> I wouldn't say that it's ridiculous. VMS 4.3, was approved for the C2
> level of security. Unix is not even near of this.

Gould has developed a Unix system that is also C2. Almost any Unix system can
be made C2 without great difficulty. Berkeley-style multiple group membership
can provide very effective security, if /etc/group is carefully administered
and root access is strictly limited. Some simple changes to the kernal could
easily provide priviledged groups for some functions that are currently
restricted to superuser only.

I still haven't see a convincing argument to the claim that access-lists are
more secure than user/group/other style permissions(where multiple group
membership is allowed).

--
	David A. Wilson
	uw-beaver!tikal!slab!sea375!dave

msf@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Michael S. Fischbein) (03/22/88)

In article <4236@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:
>  If you
>don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
>without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
>proprietary" it really is!

You mean like Doug Comer and Xinu?  Or Tannenbaum (I think) and MINIX? Or
Rich Stallman and GNU? Or CMU and Mach?  If you don't use AT&T source code,
you don't pay AT&T.  If you rewrote VMS, you wouldn't have to pay DEC
any royalties either, except they would throw look and feel lawsuits at you.

I don't know anyone interested in writing/who has already written a PD
version of VMS.  I don't know any vendor who has been able to license
VMS from DEC either -- to be fair, I haven't asked them.  Does anybody
know of any?

		mike

--
Michael Fischbein                 msf@ames-nas.arpa
                                  ...!seismo!decuac!csmunix!icase!msf

arosen@eagle.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) (03/23/88)

(Val Kartchner) writes:
>     Any Eunuchs programmer could easily: bllsht.  Anyone else could spell it
>     correctly.
[Eunuchs, Eunuchs, Eunuchs...]

I think this is a sign of immaturity that I sadly find too often among the
VMS Holies.  At least the Unix people acknowledge VMS for it's good points
_without_ making fun of VMS or it's fans.

>     In the VMS environment, the command would be parsed (and verified
>     syntactically correct) in a consistent manner before the program (image)
>     was even loaded.

Which means DCL has to know the syntax of every command on the sytem.  Yeah,
real modern.  Makes it real easy to add commands to the system, too.
Especially for users who write their own private little utilities.  Can you
say search path?

>     Another thought on Eunuchs: Get an editor.

What do you call GNU?  I hate EDT and am quite happy with VI.  But, I'm
ignoring TPU (because I don't know it :-), so this isn't totally fair.

>      Before you flame me
>      Please, take it with a large grain of salt.

But my blood pressure :-)

>      I would like to become
>      as proficient with Unix as I am with VMS.

Funny, I'd like to become as proficient with VMS as I am with Unix.

Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
                   RD in '88 - The way it should be

sarge@swindle.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Sargent) (03/23/88)

In article <5640@swan.ulowell.edu>, arosen@eagle.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) writes:
> (Val Kartchner) writes:
> >     Any Eunuchs programmer could easily: bllsht.  Anyone else could spell it
> >     correctly.
> [Eunuchs, Eunuchs, Eunuchs...]
>
> I think this is a sign of immaturity that I sadly find too often among the
> VMS Holies.  At least the Unix people acknowledge VMS for it's good points
> _without_ making fun of VMS or it's fans.

Speak for yourself.  I've seen VMS and its fans flamed plenty here.

> >     In the VMS environment, the command would be parsed (and verified
> >     syntactically correct) in a consistent manner before the program (image)
> >     was even loaded.
>
> Which means DCL has to know the syntax of every command on the sytem.  Yeah,
> real modern.  Makes it real easy to add commands to the system, too.
> Especially for users who write their own private little utilities.  Can you
> say search path?

No reason that can't be made to work in a plausible way; programs have
their own command tables, stored as ASCII documents or some such; could
even be searchable in the path.  Having a table-driven central command
parser would be a real win for interactive help, argument completion, &c.
 -- not that DCL does all this, of course; if it did, it would be Tenex,
and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

A more annoying (to me, as a "Eunuchs" true believer; though my shower
singing is still baritone...) is DCL's silly treatment of *.  Leaves
interpretation of the damn thing up to the command.  So some do, some
don't.  And the ones you want 'em to, don't.  E.g., the infamous SET DEF:

	$ set def somewhere::$disk437:[incredibly.frobulous.pathname
.invented.by.masochists]
	<all ok>
	$ set def somewhere::$disk437:[incr*.frob*.pa*.inv*.by.mas*]
	%DCL-E-INSCRUTABLE$MESSAGE: Invalid specification

(The problem here is actually more fundamental than a miscue on wildcard
recognition; rather, it's that SET DEF is just accepting a string, which
it vaguely checks for the right number of punctuation chars, to do filename
translations with.  It's entirely YOUR responsibility to ensure that the
name actually lines up with a directory in the file system; if you didn't
spell it right, set def back to SYS$LOGIN and try again.  Now THAT's
user-friendly!)

Well, so, there's this lib$find_file or similar routine that your program
can use, that will parse filenames iteratively, giving you back one per
call.  And your users have stood outside your office with cut-down
shotguns, occasionally blasting one of your potted plants for laughs,
while you hammered the puppy into your program so it would do *-expansion
right.  Only you're one of the Digital Equipment Brothers, and your
program is DELETE: so you screw it up!  That's right, you traverse the
directory hierarchy preorder, rather than postorder, so you try to
delete directories before you've deleted their children!  So, now we
have the answer to the VMS fans wanting to know why rm -r * is superior
to DELETE [*...]*.*;* -- it's because rm -r works.

A little bit of this mickey-mouse and UNIX-style globbing, where the
shell does all filename expansion before the command sees anything,
looks mighty good.  Even with the god-cursed limit on number of chars
in arguments.

> >      Before you flame me
> >      Please, take it with a large grain of salt.
> >      I would like to become
> >      as proficient with Unix as I am with VMS.
>
> Funny, I'd like to become as proficient with VMS as I am with Unix.

With all this onesies-twosies, "mine's bigger" nonsense, we're sounding
like a bunch of Model T owners, slugging it out for dragstrip supremacy
at 25 mph.  But I wanted a starship...

> Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
> ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
> Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
>                    RD in '88 - The way it should be

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." -- Emerson.

UNIX is a Registered Trademark of AT&T.
VMS and DEC are trademarks of the Digital Equipment Corporation.
----
Steven Sargent
ARPA Internet: sarge@scam.Berkeley.EDU
TPCnet: {from here to Eternity}!ucbvax!scam!sarge

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) (03/24/88)

In article <375@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> msf@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Michael S. Fischbein) writes:
>In article <4236@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:
>>  If you
>>don't believe this, try writing your own version of UNIX and marketing it
>>without paying AT&T any money.  You'll quickly experience the how "non
>>proprietary" it really is!
>
>You mean like Doug Comer and Xinu?  Or Tannenbaum (I think) and MINIX? Or
>Rich Stallman and GNU? Or CMU and Mach?  If you don't use AT&T source code,
>you don't pay AT&T.  If you rewrote VMS, you wouldn't have to pay DEC
>any royalties either, except they would throw look and feel lawsuits at you.

Umm... GNU stands for "GNU's Not UNIX".  And, by definition, MINIX and Xinu
are not UNIX either.  One of the original propositions was that "you can
easily transport between any system because it's all UNIX" -- well, if it
isn't all UNIX then the transport question seems moot.  You can probably
port programs between GNU, MINIX, VMS, UNIX all with about the same amount
of blood, sweat and tears.

My point -- you can't *call* these systems "UNIX systems".

Giventhe fact that DEC's operating system is a standardized architecture,
I doubt that anyone *could* rewrite VMS.  But then again, I am assured that
standard code compiled on my MicroVAX II will run on the 8600 with which
it communicates.

Actually, I would prefer the POSIX standard to AT&T UNIX.  Since many vendors
are trying to get this thing set up, we should be living in
interesting times...  And since DEC is one of the vendors pushing POSIX, we
can expect that over time VMS will look more POSIXish...

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (03/24/88)

Ah, it's not really over yet. But get to the next article if you feel
you have more important things to do.

Val Kartchner (val@wsccs.UUCP) writes:
>    And what about consistency?  A comparison of a (hypothetical) command on
>    Eunuchs and VMS:
>
>	    flame/full/type=(eunuchs,consistency) commands
>	       vs
>            flame -f -t=(eunuchs,consistency) commands
>
>    In the VMS environment, the command would be parsed (and verified
>    syntactically correct) in a consistent manner before the program (image)
>    was even loaded.  In the Eunuchs evironment, the command parsing is left
>    totally up to the programmer.  This means a wide variety (and
>    inconsistent) method of parsing between programmers.  (Sometimes the
>    options to the "-" command must follow immediately, other times a space,
>    and other times an equals.)

And you forgot to mention another real bonus: When you have multi-letter
options in Unix, you are forced to type the entire option. Same goes for
the command. In VMS you have to type what is significant. So you memorize
as Val wrote above, but you only type
    fl/fu/t=(eu, cons) commands
if you feel like.
  For options parsing this is possible in Unix, but I have never seen it.
(But I'm sure it exists somewhere.) For commands it's dead. (You can
define an alias, but it's not really the same, since you abbreviate them.)

Andy Rosen (arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu) comments Val's article:
>Which means DCL has to know the syntax of every command on the sytem.  Yeah,
>real modern.  Makes it real easy to add commands to the system, too.
>Especially for users who write their own private little utilities.  Can you
>say search path?

Can you say Command Definition Utility? Can you say foreign command line?
With CDU you can define your own DCL commands. It's fairly easy for
a somewhat experienced VMS user. If you want to parse the command line
yourself, you use a foreign command line instead.
  Say what you want of DCL's syntax checks, but VMS does here provide a
tool here that Unix doesn't. And being used to it, I miss it on Unix.
--

hildum@iris.ucdavis.edu (Eric Hildum) (03/24/88)

In article <5640@swan.ulowell.edu> arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) writes:

>Which means DCL has to know the syntax of every command on the sytem.  Yeah,
>real modern.  Makes it real easy to add commands to the system, too.
>Especially for users who write their own private little utilities.  Can you
>say search path?

You might want to look into this a bit more. To teach DCL a new
command, one uses the command SET COMMAND filename, where the file
contains a description of the command verb, the filename of the image
to be activated, the qualifiers allowed or required, defaults, etc.
Having added several commands to the system, I can assure you that it
is quite easy.

I am not sure what you mean by "modern."  Why shouldn't your command
table know the syntax of your commands?

				Eric
				dehildum@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu	(Internet)
				dehildum@ucdavis.bitnet	(BITNET)
				ucbvax!ucdavis!dehildum	(uucp)

msf@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Michael S. Fischbein) (03/24/88)

In article <4454@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:
>In article <375@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> msf@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Michael S. Fischbein) writes:
>>You mean like Doug Comer and Xinu?  Or Tannenbaum (I think) and MINIX? Or
>>Rich Stallman and GNU? Or CMU and Mach?  If you don't use AT&T source code,
>>you don't pay AT&T.  If you rewrote VMS, you wouldn't have to pay DEC
>>any royalties either, except they would throw look and feel lawsuits at you.
>
>Umm... GNU stands for "GNU's Not UNIX".  And, by definition, MINIX and Xinu
>are not UNIX either.  One of the original propositions was that "you can
>easily transport between any system because it's all UNIX" -- well, if it
>isn't all UNIX then the transport question seems moot.

First, the named (royalty free) systems aren't UNIX for much the same reason
Ultrix, HP-UX, UNICOS, SunOS, UTX, AIX, etc aren't ``UNIX:''  The
word ``UNIX'' is a trademark of AT&T and they are the only ones who can,
therefore, market a ``UNIX'' system.  I call the others UNIX, as is common
practice, to avoid circumlocutions like ``Operating system, utilities, and
compilers that are source code compatible with the UNIX operating system
originally developed by Bell Telephone Laboratories and since ported to a
wide variety of computer architectures by a large number of researchers
and vendors.''

>  You can probably
>port programs between GNU, MINIX, VMS, UNIX all with about the same amount
>of blood, sweat and tears.

Having done some of these ports from one to another of the ``Operating
system, utilities, and compilers that are source code compatible with
the UNIX operating system originally developed by Bell Telephone
Laboratories and since ported to a wide variety of computer architectures
by a large number of researchers and vendors,'' and to and from VMS I
feel that I can report that porting C code, at least, to VMS is MUCH more
difficult than going, say, from Silicon Graphics' GL3.5 to Cray's UNICOS.
Or to Gould's UTX.  Or, for that matter, to Xenix.  We have non-trivial
programs that run without any source code changes on systems from IBM-PCs
to Macs to HP minis to Cray-2's.  We have slightly more machine specific
code (raw vs cooked mode, etc) that runs with no modifications but has
a few ifdef's scattered about.  They don't run on VMS.

>My point -- you can't *call* these systems "UNIX systems".

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

>Given the fact that DEC's operating system is a standardized architecture,

An OS is an architecture?  Or does Ultrix run on a different architecture
than VMS?

>I doubt that anyone *could* rewrite VMS.  But then again, I am assured that
>standard code compiled on my MicroVAX II will run on the 8600 with which
>it communicates.

Yep.  I also am assured that the code I compile on my Sun 3/140 will run on the
Sun 3/280 with which it communicates.  I can also take my source, recompile
it, and run it on an HP, say, for better performance -- better performance
at a lower price than that 8600.   Or on a PC-AT for a cheaper, dedicated
platform.  Or on a Cray-2 for perfomance (and price) way above anything
DEC offers.  When VMS runs on both $1500 machines and 300 MFLOP machines with
multiple vendor support (competitive procurement) it will be a viable
alternative to UNIX.

		mike
--
Michael Fischbein                 msf@ames-nas.arpa
                                  ...!seismo!decuac!csmunix!icase!msf
These are my opinions and not necessarily official views of any
organization.

sqkeith@csvax.liv.ac.uk (03/25/88)

Please, please don't change the subject header of these stupid drivellings
about my 'OS is bigger and better than yours' (see Dr. Ruth). I've added some
code to our newsfeed that removes all such messages before our NEWS system even
gets to process them, sending them to NL: (or /dev/null in Unix speak)
where they belong.

I just don't want to know about other's personal preferences - I have my
own

Keith

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (03/27/88)

Off we go again. Some quibblings about wild cards this time. And
if you feel you had enough of this already, well the form feed it's
for you.

>A more annoying <...> is DCL's silly treatment of *.  Leaves
>interpretation of the damn thing up to the command.  So some do, some
>don't.  And the ones you want 'em to, don't.  E.g., the infamous SET DEF:
>Well, so, there's this lib$find_file or similar routine that your program
>can use, that will parse filenames iteratively, giving you back one per
>call.  And your users have stood outside your office with cut-down

First we discussed command parsing. DCL parses the command and inkoves
the image. In Unix the program has to parse them itself, giving a non-
uniform interface. With wild cards it's the opposite. The shell expands
them, whereas DCL leaves that to the program and the file system.

The good way with the Unix style is that it's easy to write a utility
that operates on a suite of files. Just read argv to the end. This is
harder under VMS. LIB$Find_file (or $parse and $search) are more difficult
for the unexperiencd user.

The VMS way has two advanteges. Unix assumes that all arguments are files.
This is often, but not always true. "HELP *" does also give a better result
than "man *". The other point is that you use file specification in more
places than the command line interpreter. Instead of putting the file-
name parsing in DCL, VMS provides routines (in RMS) for a uniform
behaviour. Not only wild cards, but also logical names, related names
and defaults. But of course, the programs must actually use them,
for it all to work. I assume Unix has *something* similar to this -
it ought to have - but ~-substitution does not always work, as translation
of environment variables. (Which is the closest to logical names Unix
comes as far as I know.)

And for postorder/preorder of DELETE: DELETE uses the same routines as
all the other commands, in which we would prefer preorder. No problem
for "rm" to make it right. It has to do the traversal itself anyway.
Unix doesn't provide a wild card like "...". At least no one has told
me about it.

--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm

afr@erialfa.UUCP (Anders Fredrikson ZX/DRG) (03/30/88)

Why don't we cut this crap about UNIX vs. VMS. Readers are getting tired,
at least me. I thought this was a *Technical* newsgroup, but correct me
if i'm wrong!

Let's talk tech - not grumble.

/Anders

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (04/05/88)

From: val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner)
>In article <20597@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>> >And this brings us on to another issue which Barry does not mention:
>> >Unix may have some clever tricks, but it's user interface is really
>> >arcane. One-letter options is certainly not state-of-the-art.
>>
>> I don't mention it because I believe it's a chocolate/vanilla issue I
>> specifically said I would avoid. Or would you like to give us all a
>> good definition "arcane", with units preferably, perhaps something
>> like measured learning curves etc. Can you spell bullshit, I knew you
>> could.
>
>    Any Eunuchs programmer could easily: bllsht.  Anyone else could spell it
>    correctly.
>
>    Shall we compare learning curves?  A new user on VMS can learn more in
>    less time because the options make sense.  For instance, what does "-s"
>    mean as opposed to "-S" as opposed to "/system" or "/security"?  Which
>    would make more sense to a new user?

Uh, no Val, you miss the whole point. Learning curves aren't something
you speculate on, it's something you can measure, numbers, plots,
statistical analysis etc.

For example, you take two groups of people of roughly equivalent
whatever (education, job status etc, whatever your design goal is) and
one uses one system while the other uses a different system, then you
measure how long it takes them to do some relevant tasks, probably
with weighting for errors. Then you compare the numbers and see if
there is a real difference. Studies like this I have heard of rarely
find any much difference. Obviously one can devise better methods.

Not intuitive? Gee, science isn't always intuitive.

Think of it this way:

Look at your telephone, does it look "user-friendly" to you? Do you
see your friend's full names on it anywhere? Or do you have to punch
in lots of long strings of digits to find them? Can your average 7
year old use the telephone?

Anything else you'd like to tell AT&T they've missed the boat on?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University