[comp.os.vms] Ethernet Monitor

CAIRNS@UPEI.BITNET.UUCP (12/03/87)

Greetings !

At our site we are becomming quite dependent on our ethernet (Vaxen, PCs,
ATs, Vaxmates, Decservers ...).  Occasionally this equipment may break, (:-)
We were wondering if there were any any products (software and/or hardware)
available for the Vaxens or the PC's which would allow us monitor the ethernet
traffic.

                     Any and all help would be appreciated.

                                               Dave
David L Cairns (Dave)        Bitnet: cairns@upei.bitnet
Senior Analyst                 - or: cairns@upei.netnorth
UPEI Computer Centre           - or: cairns@upei.ca
Charlottetown, PEI CANADA     Voice: (902) 566 0388

sdejarne@polyslo.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <ID2960.D871203.T145858.CAIRNS@UPEI> CAIRNS@UPEI.BITNET ("David L. Cairns") writes:
>We were wondering if there were any any products (software and/or hardware)
>available for the Vaxens or the PC's which would allow us monitor the ethernet
>traffic.

	There is a program called LANalyzer that runs on the PC (totally
transparent to the Ethernet, from what I've heard) that allows you to monitor
packets, etc. as they fly across the net.  It is put out by FTP Software (I
think).  They are located in Cambridge, Mass. (again, I'm pretty sure about
that).

	Hope this helps.

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!sdejarne |
| Cal Poly State Univ		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

SSS3348%OCVAXA@VB.CC.CMU.EDU (Scott Sloan) (04/06/88)

I recall several months ago there was discussion of an ethernet monitor
utility.  I don't recall if one ever surfaced, but I would greatly
appreciate it if someone could send a recap of where to find one, or
if one is even available.

Thanks in advance

Scott Sloan
Houck Computing Center
Oberlin College
Oberlin, Ohio  44074  USA

sss3348@oberlin.bitnet
{ihnp4, bellcore} !oberlin!ocvaxa!sss3348
sss3348%ocvaxa@vb.cc.cmu.edu