[net.dcom] New 9600 baud modem

kim@ihuxn.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) (07/15/85)

Last week I heard a report on a financial news program that Digital
Communications had just announced a breakthrough 9600 baud modem. I
haven't seen anything in print about it yet. From the way it was
reported, it is presumably not the half duplex 9600 baud technology
that has been around for a while.

Does anyone know any details?

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/23/85)

In article <1110@ihuxn.UUCP> kim@ihuxn.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Last week I heard a report on a financial news program that Digital
>Communications had just announced a breakthrough 9600 baud modem. I
>haven't seen anything in print about it yet. From the way it was
>reported, it is presumably not the half duplex 9600 baud technology
>that has been around for a while.
>
>Does anyone know any details?

PC WEEK for July 16 has a front-page story on it.  They apparently use
multiple narrow channels, etc. to get the higher bandwidth.  They also
use what they call 'adaptive duplex' to simulate a full-duplex connection.
They have internal CRC checking on transmitted data.  They will be
aiming initially at the PC market, it seems.  They are bundling in a
stripped-down version of the Crosstalk PC comm package (presumably
w/o protocol transfer functions).  Announced pricing was $1995. for
PC built-in, $2395. for stand-alone.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: You MUST survive, Doctor!!

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/24/85)

There is an international standard for 9600 baud, full duplex, async,
dialup modems.  It's CCITT V.32.  However, I don't know of any products that
implement it yet.