[comp.os.vms] News & Usenet for VAX/VMS

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (03/29/88)

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I posted a request to comp.os.vms (info-VAX for
those BITNETers out there) requesting software which would allow me to
establish myself as a usenet node, handle network mail using VMS mail,
and read news on a plain-vanilla VMS system (ie. no UNIX(tm) emulators
or the like).

I did promise a followup of this request to the net...but the response to
the most difficult part -- establishment of a usenet link  -- was less than
satisfying.

In summary (and a short one at that), the only software that would (future)
allow me to get a usenet connection is the UUPC port to VMS...which I have
heard nothing of the completion of this.  Further, if you can't get usenet,
then obviously nobody could come up with an interface to VMS mail in it.

I did get several responses from individuals who had various (very nice)
packages which could read news (obtained through BITNET or ARPA-net)
interactively.  Further, I believe I had one response which boasted an
extension to VMS mail to allow various network connections (like JNET).

In essence, I was unable to get together a connection from a VMS system
to usenet without investing literally thousands of dollars for emulators
and software (and possibly connections to expensive networks).

If anyone is interested in a good VMS news program, I would suggest reposting
the request as my information is now weeks old, and I would prefer not to
handle requests for that information.

Thanks for all those who responded (sorry for not getting your names in
print .. I do sincerely appreciate your time and effort).  I would suggest
that anyone looking for a challenging and useful project look into making
a uucp port to VMS, establishing a usenet interface through uucp for VMS (like
uucp systems files, etc), making interfaces to VMS mail (and possibly DECNET),
and integrating this effort into the many existing news packages for VMS.
You may find it profitable as well as exciting.

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Computer Group, Systems Dvlp. | {boulder,ihnp4,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil|
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: limbic!gil@icus.UUCP         |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (04/01/88)

In article <107@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I posted a request to comp.os.vms (info-VAX for
>those BITNETers out there) requesting software which would allow me to
>establish myself as a usenet node, handle network mail using VMS mail,
>and read news on a plain-vanilla VMS system (ie. no UNIX(tm) emulators
>or the like).

I guess my reply to your request got eaten somewhere.  I'm in charge
(positive or negative, I'm not sure) of the "VMSnet Working Group" within
the VAX SIG of DECUS, and we're working on exactly this problem.  We'd hoped
to mail out test versions about six weeks ago, but real-world work intervened.
Last week, though, I talked my boss into "funding" me to work on the project
part time as *part* of my real work, so we should be able to clean things
up and ship out test tapes in another couple of weeks.  Maybe.

The vital pieces are gnuucp, Geoff Huston's ANU News, Kevin Carosso's
foreign mail protocol interface to VMS mail, and sendmail and pathalias.
We will support DECnet channels as well as uucp quite early, if not with
the first "release", and Kevin wants to add gnuucp as a PMDF channel,
providing even more options and flexibility.  He and Tom Allebrandi and
I are giving a talk at DECUS (Cincinnati, mid-May) describing the current
state of the project.  If you  can't be there, just watch this newsgroup
for details...

kvc@minnie.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (04/02/88)

In article <107@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I posted a request to comp.os.vms (info-VAX for
>those BITNETers out there) requesting software which would allow me to
>establish myself as a usenet node, handle network mail using VMS mail,
>and read news on a plain-vanilla VMS system (ie. no UNIX(tm) emulators
>or the like).

There is an effort underway to produce exactly the package you are
requesting.  I do not know details of the implementation, but as of the last
DECUS symposium (last fall) the plan was to begin testing the code around
January or February and have something ready to go on the Spring '88 DECUS
VAX SIG tape in Cincinnati.  Jamie Hanrahan of Simpact would be the person
to talk to about the status.  You might try calling him.  The number I
have for Simpact is (619)565-1865.

There should be at least one session at the Cincinnati DECUS on the
package.  Look for something like "USENET Access for VMS User's" or
something else along those lines.  There may also be a BOF organized.

For electronic mail access to UNIX machines, PMDF is available now.  It
supports most TCP/IP's, dialup using the PhoneNet protocol, JNET, a few
flavors of X.25, and, of course, DECnet.  There will be two sessions
on PMDF in Cincinnati.  An intro and an advanced topics session.  PMDF
will also be able to use UUCP when Jamie gets his effort completed.
For availability of PMDF, contact:

	Ned Freed
	PMDF Project
	c/o Harvey Mudd College
	Claremont, CA 91711
	(714)621-8006
	ned@ymir.bitnet

PMDF is distributed for the cost of distribution (currently $50).

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrcvax.uucp
         Network Research Co.              kvc@nrc.com
                                           kvc@ymir.bitnet

terrell@musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU (Roger Terrell) (04/08/88)

In article <107@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In essence, I was unable to get together a connection from a VMS system
>to usenet without investing literally thousands of dollars for emulators
>and software (and possibly connections to expensive networks).
>
>I would suggest
>that anyone looking for a challenging and useful project look into making
>a uucp port to VMS, establishing a usenet interface through uucp for VMS (like
>uucp systems files, etc), making interfaces to VMS mail (and possibly DECNET),
>and integrating this effort into the many existing news packages for VMS.

I posted an article in comp.mail.uucp yesterday which I should have cross-
posted to this group as well:

I am interested in doing a "UUCP port", or at least UUCP-compatible,
to VAX/VMS, but first want to be sure that nothing of the kind is already
underway.  I would be doing it as a senior programming project (undergraduate)
and need any/all information on the UUCP protocols.  Any references to guides/
books on the subject would be helpful.  If I can get UUCP done, then I would
like to tackle News/Usenet next...

--Roger

--

Roger Terrell
...musky2!terrell (UUCP)

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (04/12/88)

There are lots of vms addicts here who won't touch
anything that talks U*NIX (I personally like both
and run news/mail on unix workstations ).

Good luck...
--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com