[comp.os.vms] VMS, DST, and "snake oil"

IHERSHMAN@VX1.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (04/10/88)

I'm tired of applying Daylight Savings Time manually on my VMS
systems, while my DECSYSTEM-20 -- and even that "snake oil" operating
system called Unix -- barely bat an eyelash.

I SPR'ed this once, and got back a response like - no one seems to agree on
how to do it right, so we won't do it at all.

Now that's snake oil!

C'mon guys!  To do it "right" just add three SYSGEN parameters:

	DST_ON  - date and time DST should take effect

	DST_OFF - date and time DST should cease

	DST_INTERVAL - number of minutes added/subtracted
		       by DST_ON and DST_OFF

This provides enough flexibility for any act of government, and surely
no one will notice the addition of three more SYSGEN parameters...

It's a little early, but BAH HUMBUG!!!

-Ittai
-------

payne@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Doug Payne) (04/14/88)

In article <576641111.0.IHERSHMAN@VX1.GBA.NYU.EDU> IHERSHMAN@VX1.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>I'm tired of applying Daylight Savings Time manually on my VMS
>systems, while my DECSYSTEM-20 -- and even that "snake oil" operating
>system called Unix -- barely bat an eyelash.
>C'mon guys!  To do it "right" just add three SYSGEN parameters:
>
>	DST_ON  - date and time DST should take effect
>
>	DST_OFF - date and time DST should cease
>
>	DST_INTERVAL - number of minutes added/subtracted
>		       by DST_ON and DST_OFF

Sure, and now all I have to do is change a SYSGEN parameter twice a
year, instead of the time.  What's the diff?  I guess I get to do it a
little ahead of time, BUT I still have to remember to do it.  And if DEC
does it in their usual style I'll have to reboot as well :-)

Doug