[comp.os.vms] Unix MAKEFILE equivalent on VMS

cpadm@uranus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Chandresh Padmanabhan) (03/31/88)

       I've been fooling around with the idea of a MAKEFILE eqvt on a VMS4.7
system, without much luck. Except for recompiling and linking all source files
whenever I make a change to one, I haven't been able to find any RMS routines
etc. which will permit me to get the date of modification field of files, so
I can selectively recompile and link only un-updated files. Not that it
matters, I work mostly in F77 and recompiling and linking 10 or 15 pgxs'
each day gets to be a real proctological nuisance !

       I'm pretty sure some VMS guru has come up with an equivalent; I'd
appreciate any info on how to do this, or a .COM for it. Thanks in advance !

-=-
eMAIL :  ....!cbosgd!tut!cpadm                              (UUCP)
        subramanian-l%eng.ohio-state.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu    (BITNET)
        6177::subra                 (if your NCP db recognises our area router)

scco@ur-tut (Sean Colbath) (04/01/88)

In article <9234@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> cpadm@uranus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Chandresh Padmanabhan) writes:
>       I've been fooling around with the idea of a MAKEFILE eqvt on a VMS4.7
>system, without much luck.
>
>       I'm pretty sure some VMS guru has come up with an equivalent; I'd
>appreciate any info on how to do this, or a .COM for it. Thanks in advance !

I'm really interested in finding a *good* version of Make for VMS -- I know
that there are several versions in existance.  I currently have a version
written by a person called Todd Aven, of the "Software Sweatshop".  It's not
too bad, but it takes quite a while to parse the makefile before it gets
going, and hence is pretty slow.  I'd really like to find another that was
better written and faster, preferably in the public domain.

I'm also in the market for a public domain version of RCS, or some other
source code management system.  A commercially available product would be
all right, if it wasn't *too* expensive.  I work for a small software
company during the summer, and currently the code management system is
pretty bad.  I would really like to get them using something like a
combination of RCS and Make, but I don't know what's out there.

Along these lines, I'd be interested in hearing how other people manage
source code among multi-user projects.  Our products consist of a relatively
large set of FORTRAN programs, each operating independantly, but which may
be under development separately by any one person.  Each of these programs
may use some lower level code (drivers, user interface routines) which may
be under development by another programmer.  Right now, things are pretty
hectic -- different versions occasionally get intermixed, and word of mouth
is used when different versions are created.  I'd really like to automate
this if possible.  Any helpful suggestions?

>eMAIL :  ....!cbosgd!tut!cpadm                              (UUCP)
>        subramanian-l%eng.ohio-state.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu    (BITNET)
>        6177::subra                 (if your NCP db recognises our area router)

Sean Colbath

Internet: scco@tut.cc.rochester.edu
UUCP:	  ...allegra!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:   SCCOCCSS@UORVM
"...and now for something completely different..."

GERLAND@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU ("Jim Gerland ", Postmaster) (04/10/88)

From: IN%"INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM"
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 88 21:49:07 GMT
From: Chandresh Padmanabhan
 <uranus.cis.ohio-state.edu!cpadm@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
Subject: Unix MAKEFILE equivalent on VMS
Sender: INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@UBVM>
To: VMS BBS Info-VAX <INFOVAX@UBVMS.BITNET>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
Comments: To: info-vax@kl.sri.com

[...]

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (04/15/88)

(I'm beginning to think that we need a comp.os.vms.commonquestions newsgroup,
and that this should go in it...)

Yes, it's been done.  In addition to DEC's Module Management System (MMS),
there are several make-like programs available through DECUS.  My favorite
came from the National Center for Atmospheric Research and appeared in the
[vax86a.ncar.make] directory on the Spring '86 VAX SIG Symposium Tape.  (A
later version may have appeared on one of the '87 tapes, but we don't seem
to have received them yet.)  Its functions are similar to those of Unix make
but the makefile syntax is very different; in return for this you get very
nice handling of VMS library entries (even better than MMS).  You can order
the tape from the DECUS program library, number V-SP-49, on either 1600 bpi
9-track tape or TK50.  Highly recommended!

MCGEE@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU (Randy McGee) (04/15/88)

There is a fairly nice unix-like make facility included with the PMDF
mailer.  The author is:

   Todd Aven  (301)345-1692
   the Softwear Sweatshop
   7833 Walker Drive Suite 308
   Greenbelt, MD 20770

   Internet:   todd@cincom.umd.edu
   Bitnet:     todd@umcincom

Randy McGee (MAGOO) <mcgee@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu>     Phone:    (312) 491 4079
Academic Computing and Network Services            USPost:   2129 Sheridan Road
Northwestern University                                      Evanston, IL  60208

jon@gaia.UUCP (Jonathan Corbet) (04/15/88)

jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan):
>Yes, it's been done.  In addition to DEC's Module Management System (MMS),
>there are several make-like programs available through DECUS.  My favorite
>came from the National Center for Atmospheric Research and appeared in the
>[vax86a.ncar.make] directory on the Spring '86 VAX SIG Symposium Tape.

As the author of that particular version of "MAKE", it's nice to know that
people still like it.  For folks who want it, I have made it available for
pseudo-anonymous FTP from rdss.ucar.edu (128.117.80.1).  Simply log in as
FTP, password FTP, and grab the contents of the [.make] directory.

I can also mail it to people if there is no other way.

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility
Internet: corbet@rdss.ucar.edu
SPAN:     rdss::corbet (rdss = 9452)
Usenet:   ...!ncar!rdss!corbet
Home:     ...!ncar!gaia!jon