[comp.os.vms] setting DCL prompt to current time

shafferj@BKNLVMS.BITNET (Jim Shaffer, Jr.) (04/13/88)

I used the program posted here a week or two ago (sorry, I forgot the author),
and I found that I can no longer leave out the argument(s) on commands such
as rename, copy, etc. A minor quibble, I know, but it can be an inconvenience
because I had developed the habit of leaving the arguments out because the
syntax is different on various systems and most will prompt you.

sqkeith@csvax.liv.ac.uk (04/15/88)

In article <8804131605.AA17418@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, shafferj@BKNLVMS.BITNET (Jim Shaffer, Jr.) writes:
> I used the program posted here a week or two ago (sorry, I forgot the author),
> and I found that I can no longer leave out the argument(s) on commands such
> as rename, copy, etc. A minor quibble, I know, but it can be an inconvenience
> because I had developed the habit of leaving the arguments out because the
> syntax is different on various systems and most will prompt you.

I thin that's easy to fix. Just before the DCL procedure 'executes' the command
you typed in, add the following line:

       $ DEFINE/NOLOG/USER SYS$INPUT SYS$COMMAND

| Keith Halewood, Janet:    sqkeith@csvax.liv.ac.uk                           |
|                 UUCP:     ...!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!sqkeith                |
|                 Internet: sqkeith%csvax.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu           |

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (04/15/88)

Te real way to solve this is via an executive mode $SETIMR.  That way it
really updatesthe real DCL prompt all the time.  If I get time I might try
it some time.

                                        AMMON::RAY