[comp.os.vms] Un-Deleting Files...

cs4l3az@maccs.UUCP (....Jose) (04/16/88)

From: "Kevin Oberman, LLNL, (415) 422-6955, L-156" <ucbvax!watmath!icdc.llnl.gov!OBERMAN>

	A while back I posted the following message, and received
the following**2 reply from Kevin Oberman  (oberman@ubcvax.berkeley.edu):

>	Is there anyway of reclaiming a file just after it's
>been deleted?  (We're running VMS 4.5)  I have a feeling that
>this is hopeless, but I like to believe in miracles (like recovering
>lost assignments that will be overwritten by the time this gets
>answered... <sob)
>
>				...Jose

Yes, you can recover a deleted file under some conditions. First, the disk
must have had little or no activity after the deletion. If the disk space
has been re-used...you've had it. Second you must not have the ERASE option
slected for the disk. Third, you've got to be lucky!

The procedure to restore a file involves scanning [000000]INDEXF.SYS for
the header for the deleted file. Once it is found, you must reset the MARK-FIR
DELETE bit in the header and reset the first word of the file ID to the
correct value.

Once this is done, ANA/DISK/REPAIR/CONFIRM should be used to reset the bits
in the bitmap.

If some the the blocks have already been reused, you may cause some other
file(s) on the disk to be damaged/destroyed. So this is a VERY dangerous
operation and should be performed ONLY under dire circumstance and only
by someone who knows exactly what he is doing.

I realize this is not good news, but I believe it is accurate. If you are
dealing with a private disk and there are no accesses after the deletion,
it should work. But, if it doesn't, please don't blame me.

						Kevin

--
<Thanks, anyway, Kev....>

"Fighting for Truth, Justice                         ....Jose Hachezero
and anything else that might                 Department of Biochemistry
seem like fun at the time.."                        McMaster University
                                                     cs4l3az@maccs.uucp