[comp.os.vms] Need tape utility to read VMS BACKUP tape on Unix/Ultrix.

larryg@pinot (Larry Gillespie) (04/08/88)

I know someone must have solved this problem.  I have access to Unix systems,
4.3bsd as well as Ultrix, but no VMS.  A customer sent me a tape which was
made on VMS 4.6 with the BACKUP command.  I want to read this tape, of course.
Does anyone know of a utility, whether public domain or otherwise, which does
the trick?  Thanks in advance.

-Larry Gillespie

{sun, ihnp4, lll-crg, ucbvax}!zehntel!zinfandel!larryg
(415) 932-6900

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (04/16/88)

In article <533@zehntel.UUCP> larryg@pinot (Larry Gillespie) writes:
>  A customer sent me a tape which was
>made on VMS 4.6 with the BACKUP command.  I want to read this tape, of course.
>Does anyone know of a utility ...

Normally I would answer a question like this by referring the user to the
comp.sources.unix archives which contain a program for reading VMS backup
tapes under UNIX.  Now that I've answered the question, let me explain why
I posted instead of sending mail.  As gross as it might sound, I am about to
have exactly the opposite problem.  Does anyone know of a utility which
can read a UNIX dump tape on VMS.  For at least the last year we have been
doing all of our full backups on a 6250 bpi tape drive and now we are about
to lose access to this drive.  The only possibility of being able to read
the tapes is a VMS machine across the room which also has a 6250 bpi drive.
Can anybody come to my rescue or am I going to have to port "restore" to VMS?
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave