[comp.os.vms] Can VMS Mail write directly to a file

MCGEE@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU (Randy McGee) (04/15/88)

> I'm trying to setup a small mailing list/digest on a VMS
> machine with the WIN/TCP software.
> Is there something equivalent under the VMS mailer or the SMTP
> mailer provided in the WIN/TCP system?

Distributed with the PMDF mailer software is a package called DELIVER.  It
will probably do what you want.  Also, Mark London's BULLETIN system can
extract mail and post it to the bulletin board.

For information about PMDF write:
   Ned Freed (ned@ymir.bitnet)
   The PMDF Project
   Computing Services
   Harvey Mudd College
   Claremont, CA 91711
   (714) 621-8006

For information on BULLETIN write:
   Mark London
   MRL%PFCVAX@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

Randy McGee (MAGOO) <mcgee@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu>     Phone:    (312) 491 4079
Academic Computing and Network Services            USPost:   2129 Sheridan Road
Northwestern University                                      Evanston, IL  60208

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (04/19/88)

In article <8804141743.aa09314@accuvax.NWU.Edu>, MCGEE@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU (Randy McGee) writes:
> > I'm trying to setup a small mailing list/digest on a VMS
> > machine with the WIN/TCP software.
> > Is there something equivalent under the VMS mailer or the SMTP
> > mailer provided in the WIN/TCP system?

It might be possible for you to modify my Batch Queue VMS Mail Answerer command
procedure to do this sort of thing; currently it merely sits in the batch queue
and wakes up every now and then to check for new mail, which it answers with
a form letter; with a little work and use of the EXTRACT command, you could
probably get it to detect contents of the Subject line, or message text, and
invoke other operations based on what it finds...

Just mentioning it because I haven't seen any response yet to my offer of post-
ing the dumb beast...

C.Chiesa
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP