[comp.os.vms] Macro tutorial summary

tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) (04/21/88)

Thanks everyone who replied to my question about learning MACRO.  Here
is a summary of the replies i received:

	  "Programming in Assembly Language, VAX-11"
	  By Edward F. Sowell, published by Addison-Wesley

	  "VAX-11 Assembly Language Programming"
	   By Sara Baase,  (Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs,
	   New Jersey 07632, 1983).

If you can arrange it, DECUS sponsors a one day seminar in Cincinnati in
May on "Getting Started with VAX Macro".  May 15th, I think.

        VAX_ASSEMBLER.HLP
        by Ned Freed (MATHLIB Project, Harvey Mudd College)  <NED@YMIR>
        (c) 1985

	"Computer Programming and Architecture, the VAX-11"
	Henry M. Levy, Richard H. Eckhouse, Jr.
	Digital Press (1980)
	(order number EY-AX008-DP-001)

The book by Sara Baase was the clear favorite of the people who replied.

-michael j. zehr

thierbac@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ed Thierbach ) (04/21/88)

In article <4781@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) writes:

>If you can arrange it, DECUS sponsors a one day seminar in Cincinnati in
>May on "Getting Started with VAX Macro".  May 15th, I think.

I took that course in Anaheim last year -- it's well worth it if you have
the time/money.  Don't expect an in-depth treatment in one day;  they give
you enough to get started, and then it's up to you to go from there.

The class materials alone are worth going...I got a VAX architecture manual,
a class "textbook", a copy of the MACRO reference manual, and a couple odds
and ends that I don't remember offhand.

>-michael j. zehr

Ed Thierbach