[comp.os.vms] current time on screen

PERAINO@GMUVAX.BITNET (04/13/88)

A few days ago, someone posted a small program to put the current time on
the screen, That part works fine, however, whenever I do ANYTHING, the
darned thing scrolls off the screen. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
Or was it supposed to somehow "lock" the bottom line of the screen?

diblanch@sdrc.UUCP (Jeff Blanchet) (04/20/88)

In article <8804181043.AA13505@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, PERAINO@GMUVAX.BITNET writes:
> A few days ago, someone posted a small program to put the current time on
> the screen, That part works fine, however, whenever I do ANYTHING, the
> darned thing scrolls off the screen. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
> Or was it supposed to somehow "lock" the bottom line of the screen?

I also had some problems. The time would stay on the screen and not scroll
off. It was placed in the upper right hand corner of my terminal.
The problem I had was that it would disappear after a while. Does the author
of this program know about these problems. I find the program to be pretty
useful if only it wouldn't go away.

Jeff Blanchet                 UUCP: uunet!sdrc!diblanch
SDRC
Cincinnati Ohio

jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Jeff Capehart) (04/22/88)

I posted the program which keeps the time on the upper right hand corner.
It does have some minor flaws which are because of the environment it
operates it.  It does not check to see what is being done to the screen
and does not make any attempt to fix problems.  It just sends the time.
When you use and editor with CLOCK, the editor just tells the screen
scrolling region to scroll down.  Since CLOCK puts the time there, it
also gets scrolled.  Then the editor resets the scrolling region.  To
make the CLOCK more efficient, it does not set the scrolling region each
time it puts the time out, so a symbol called FREEZE is defined which
will freeze the time back on the top line.  This was in the code but
not mentioned.  I guess I should have made a feeble attempt to document
its usage.  It can also be de-activated by running it a second time.
It isn't real big so I can post it again if some people missed it.
Please don't expect more out of it than is possible.  Remember we are
dealing with terminal I/O, not memory mapped video like on PC's.

--
Jeff Capehart 		Internet: jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida	UUCP:   ..!ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jdc