[comp.os.vms] $30K uVAX?

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (Gerard K. Newman) (04/14/88)

	From:	 <graham@drcvax.arpa>
	Subject: Andy Goldstein's security comments (was VMS, security through obscurity)
	Date:	 11 Apr 88 11:13:00 EST

[lots of stuff omitted]

	This crap about any well off high school kid affording a Microvax is so
	ridiculous as to be spat upon.  I earn more now than I thought possible
	when I was in high school, and I still can't afford the $30k for a
	Microvax.

I personally own a VAXstation-2000 that I paid slightly more than 10% of that
amount for.  It's not as rediculous as it sounds.

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC
Span:	  SDSC::GKN (27.1)
MFEnet:   GKN@SDS
USPS:	  Gerard K. Newman
	  San Diego Supercomputer Center
	  P.O. Box 85608
	  San Diego, CA 92138-5608
Phone:	  619.534.5076

patricky@usage.unsw.oz (Patrick Young) (04/26/88)

	I have a Vax 11/730 + 2 Mb + 3 RK07 Disk Drives + VMS V4.4,
The whole lot cost me $2500, And I am a university student !