[comp.os.vms] Post to Usenet from VAX/VMS

dd1k+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Dong-Ping Deng) (04/16/88)

Could anyone out of there enlighten me how to post to Usenet from a VAX/VMS
machine or a Bitnet site in general ?    Thanks in advance.

Dong-Ping Deng
dd1k@andrew.cmu.eud  or
p155dd1k@cmccvb.bitnet

sys_ms@bmc1.uu.se (04/29/88)

In article <4WNkHjyS2k-0ZkY1T5@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd1k+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Dong-Ping Deng) writes:

> Could anyone out of there enlighten me how to post to Usenet from a VAX/VMS
> machine or a Bitnet site in general ?    Thanks in advance.

Lately I have seen several questions on how to receive USENET news to VMS
machines. Below I make a suggestion for you BITNET VAX/VMS users. It is
probably not an answer to the above question.

There is a NEWS reader available from ANU. It was announced some days ago
in this newsgroup and it is available from DECUS. There you have the reader,
but no transport mechanism. You could use the PMDF mailer available from
Harvey Mudd College, ask NED@YMIR.BITNET or you could use JNET mail.
Then you need a site to receive newsgroups from, and post newsgroups to.

Why dont you VMS users on BITNET get the NEWS software and use PMDF or JNET
mail as transport mechanism. Then you only need one site that resides on
both Usenet and BITNET. Set up distribution of newsgroups to one site
in each country. This site could serve other BITNET sites in that country.
This scheme follows the starlike structure of BITNET.

The advantage with a newsreader is that one machine only receives one copy
of each newsitem, and not one copy for each user that wants to read the
list.

I do not have a solution for you IBM users but you probably do not read this
list.

			Have fun,

			Mats Sundvall
			BMC, University of Uppsala