[comp.os.vms] User Written CLIs and alternatives

dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Dorl) (05/05/88)

Some time ago, I posted an article asking if anyone had rolled their
own CLI.  I've yet to find any.

I did receive lots of replies asking me why I didn't write a .COM file
or redefine the command tables and use the normal VMS CLI.

I have written a .COM file to provide the environment I want but this
slows things down. The application will be used quite a lot so I wanted
something more efficient and faster.

I had briefly considered the use of a restricted command table but
didn't have time to persue it.  The problems I see in this area
include:

  foreign commands

    I have some foreign commands I want to run and I want to
    prevent the user from defining his own foreign commands
    to circumvent the restricted command table.

  logical names

    I need to allow the user to define logical names but am worried
    about redefinition of logical names causing allowed commands to
    run programs other than the ones intended.

Has anyone built a watertight environment using restricted command
tables that meets these concerns?

Finally, several people mentioned the VERB command table lister.
Where can I get this from?

Michael Dorl (608) 262-0466
dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu
dorl@wiscmacc.bitnet

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (05/06/88)

In article <200@dogie.edu> dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Dorl) writes:
>Some time ago, I posted an article asking if anyone had rolled their
>own CLI.  I've yet to find any.

Have you looked at Eunice from The wollongong Group. It has
its own CLI that runs in supervisor mode. Beware that if
you run the CLI from loginout, nothing is set up for you
(including the stack).

It is a lot of fun getting one going.

Narayan Mohanram
THE SUPREME DALEK