[comp.os.vms] Using non-DEC terminals with VMS

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (05/03/88)

I've recently acquired the task of managing a MicroVax running MicroVMS 4.6.
We have a whole bunch of non-DEC terminals that we'd like to use with it.  I'm
new to VMS and learning as I go.  Perhaps some of you VMS gurus can answer a
few of my questions:

Will VMS support non-DEC terminals?  Is there any facility for a terminal
attribute database (like terminfo and termcap under UNIX)?  Can you use full
screen applications (like EDT) on non-DEC terminals?

Any help would be appreciated.  Followups are directed to comp.os.vms.

Thanks,

Tim Ramsey

--------
Timothy Ramsey (aka Nop)            Dept of Computing & Information Sciences
               "Deadlines amuse me"          Kansas State University
Internet: tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu            Manhattan, Kansas 66506
BITNET:   tar@KSUVAX1 -or- NOP@KSUVM              (913) 532-6350
UUCP:     {cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA,ihnp4}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!tar

pack@acdpyr.ucar.edu (Dan Packman) (05/05/88)

In article<274@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu> tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey)...
============
>Will VMS support non-DEC terminals?
Unfortunately, only limited support.
============
>Is there any facility for a terminal attribute database
>(like terminfo and termcap under UNIX)?
Look in sys$system:smgterms.txt  This is the ascii form of the DEC terminal
database.  The three types of entries (boolean, numeric, and string)
describe each terminal.  There are a series of screen management library
routines (starting with smg$) that are a lower level analogue to the
UNIX curses package.
  The file sys$system:termtable.txt  normally has as its first line
the line "REQUIRE 'SMGTERMS'".  This includes and "compiles" the smgterms.txt
file to describe the DEC terminals.  You can add descriptions for other
terminals there.  Can anyone on the net improve on this entry for the wyse50?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~cut here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NAME = "WYSE50"
	BOOLEAN
	advanced_video = 1,
	ansi_crt = 0,
	auto_margin = 1,
	backspace = 1,
	dec_crt = 0,
	scope = 1,
	physical_tabs = 1

	NUMERIC
	columns = 80,
	rows = 24,
	wide_screen_columns = 132

	STRING
	begin_blink = "$A02",
	begin_line_drawing_char = "$H^B",
	begin_normal_rendition = "$G00",
	begin_reverse = "$G04",
	begin_underscore = "$G08",
	bottom_t_char = "=",
	clear_tab = "$2",
	cross_char = "8",
	cursor_down = "^J",
	cursor_left = "^H",
	cursor_right = "^L",
	cursor_up = "^K",
	end_blink = "$G00",
	end_line_drawing_char = "$H^C",
	end_reverse = "$G00",
	end_underscore = "$G00",
	erase_to_end_display = "$y",
	erase_to_end_line = "$t",
	erase_whole_display = "$Y",
	erase_whole_line = "$R",
	home = "^^",
	horizontal_bar = ":",
	index = "^J",
	key_down_arrow = "^J",
	key_left_arrow = "^H",
	key_right_arrow = "^L",
	key_up_arrow = "^K",
	left_t_char = "4",
	lower_left_corner = "1",
	lower_right_corner = "5",
	reverse_index = "^K",
	right_t_char = "9",
	set_cursor_abs = "$a!ULR!ULC",
	set_tab = "$1",
	top_t_char = "0",
	truncation_icon = "$H>",
	upper_left_corner = "2",
	upper_right_corner = "3",
	vertical_bar = "6",
	width_narrow = "$`:",
	width_wide = "$`;"

	END
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~cut here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After you have added what you wanted to termtable.txt in sys$system,
then run smgbldtrm.  This will "compile" the termtable.txt (and the
included sgmterms.txt) and produce a termtable.exe  Although there is
probably a better way, after rebooting this information will be available
to the system and one can do a set term/dev=wyse50 with the above information
added.  For completeness, the help file for set term/dev should be modified
as well to include this new device as a legal entry for the command.
=============
>Can you use full screen applications (like EDT) on non-DEC terminals?

No.  The rumor I heard was that an SMG based driver was written so that
edt and tpu would work from non-dec terminals but it was decided to drop
the project since it was inefficient.  Poor people like us with non-ansi
terminals are somewhat limited.  I use emacs (with its own database
instead of using the smg stuff) with non-dec terminals.  I really wish
DEC would use SMG for the one line dcl editing window.  I can't believe
efficiency is all that critical for such a small window.  Mail seems to
use smg to clear the screen but most of the dec products that you wish
would use SMG don't.

Of course the whole issue will gradually become moot as we argue over the
best windowing system.  In the meantime though....

rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) (05/06/88)

VMS use of non-DEC terminals: depends on what you want to do with it.
Some of the people have metnioned using SMG and creating entries for
terminals and such, which can be a fair amount of work.

For my purposes (systems programmer -- i.e. I had no need of fancy graphics),
all I really need is a full-screen editor. Since I had at one time an
old HP clunker at home, I needed something I could use there. GNU Emacs
turned out to be the ultimate answer, particularly as I can also use it
on our Unix systems. Check it out.

As an aside, I've been thinking about putting together a small document on
useful internals tricks. I'm interested in whatever any of you have,
including hints on analyzing crash dumps, or figuring out what resource
an RWASTed process is waiting on, how to do uncouth things like zero
the error count of a running device, or time in a disk that's been timed
out, etc.

I've done the last two, along with figuring out how to disable the FPA from
a program, or tell if it's actually being used (the VAX Architecture
Handbook is WRONG, by the way, at least where the 750 is concerned).

So you see, I'm looking for stuff to fit in between the System Manager's
Reference (which doesn't go into internals) and theInternals and Data
Structures book (which leans a little too heavily on theory for my tastes).

SEND ME ANYTHING YOU THINK WOULD BE USEFUL. No internals trick is too
obscure... (of course, much of this may be invalidated by VMS 5.0, but
I'm sure many of us will be running 4.x for a long time to come).

Thanks,

		--Rod

		rod@ISI.Edu

jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Jeff Capehart) (05/09/88)

Speaking of non-DEC terminals... does anyone have a driver form the
ADM-3a type of terminal usually called 'adam-3'.  I have heard it
is the Foreign Type 1 terminal definition ( $ set term/dev=ft1 )
but we have no such file on our system.  Is it possible to get this
for 0 cost?  Like, can someone e-mail it without too much trouble?
Also do these drivers need to be installed, or can a non-privileged
user create his own driver?

--
Jeff Capehart 		Internet: jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida	UUCP:   ..!ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jdc

c31293@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.JUNET (c31293) (05/09/88)

In article <274@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu>, tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
> I've recently acquired the task of managing a MicroVax running MicroVMS 4.6.
> We have a whole bunch of non-DEC terminals that we'd like to use with it.  I'm
> new to VMS and learning as I go.  Perhaps some of you VMS gurus can answer a
> few of my questions:

I'm not a guru :-), but I have been operating VMS for a year.

> Will VMS support non-DEC terminals?  Is there any facility for a terminal
> attribute database (like terminfo and termcap under UNIX)?  Can you use full
> screen applications (like EDT) on non-DEC terminals?

I don't know whether VMS supports non-DEC terminals (at least I haven't read
ANY in the huge documentations :-<), but you can find a key in SYS$SYSTEM.
Check SYS$SYSTEM:SMGTABLE.TXT. You can find something like a script language,
which gives basic VMS-supported terminals' configurations.
There are several programs may-be-related to them, like TERMTABLE.EXE and etc.

-- Kenji Rikitake, TWICS operation staff (using MicroVMS 4.4)
   and studying in Wada Lab., Univ of Tokyo

Tom_TA2_Allebrandi@cup.portal.com (05/13/88)

For non-dec terminals on VMS -

The best way to use them (as has been noted) is to get a definition into
TERMTABLE so that SMG (and the C RunTimes Curses package) can use it.

On the other hand, I have a termcap running on VMS...

I had started a termcap database to TERMTABLE converter, I could probably
resurrect it if someone would like to finish it...

Tom Allebrandi
ta2@cup.portal.com