[comp.os.vms] "host-based" vs. "front-end-processor" PC network interfaces

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/14/88)

In article <361@lalk.excelan.UUCP> chuck@excelan.UUCP (Chuck Kollars) writes:
>Some potential advantages of the Front End Processor architecture:
> o  reduce host memory requirements

If I compare a $200 WD board with a $700 EXOS 205, I'd have to say
that's an expensive way to buy memory (not to mention the inherently
lower performance of the EXOS's 186 vs my PC's 286).

Right now things like PC-NFS don't live in expanded or extended
memory but such is certainly possible.

> o  many simultaneous connections

I believe some people have run into a problem with the limited number
of sockets available with the EXOS 204. I don't know about the newer
board but considering that these people's response was to ditch
Excelan and go to Wollongong, I would guess Excelan still only gives
you a very small number of sockets on the EXOS 304.

I wonder if the VMS people could comment on the usefulness of the
204/304. Do you ever run out of sockets? How reliable is your Excelan
hardware? We have a 205 that fails a lot. Takes weeks to repair. And
at the price, you can't afford to keep spares around like you can the
WD board.

I don't have it in for Excelan or anything but the WD board really
seems like a better piece of hardware to me. I would love to see
an extended discussion of the merits and demerits of both boards.

Actually, I hate WD the company. Trying to get technical information
out of them is difficult. But a FAST Ethernet card for $200 is worth a
lot of trouble.

--
Make Japan the 51st state!

I speak for myself, not the company.