[comp.os.vms] More on protection of SYS$SYSTEM files and VMS 4.6/4.7

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (05/06/88)

I have scanned our SYS$SYSTEM and found some interesting protection masks.
For example, can anybody think of a good reason for SYS.EXE to be W=RE?
Or *every* device driver?  I don't know whether the 4.6 installation did
this, but I'm going to suggest that our site review these masks carefully.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark H. Wood    IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET   (317)274-0749 III U   U PPPP  U   U III
Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis  I  U   U P   P U   U  I
799 West Michigan Street, ET 1023                       I  U   U PPPP  U   U  I
Indianapolis, IN  46202 USA                             I  U   U P     U   U  I
[@disclaimer@]                                         III  UUU  P      UUU  III

hjm@cernvax.UUCP (hjm) (05/16/88)

In article <8805131040.AA17557@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET writes:
>I have scanned our SYS$SYSTEM and found some interesting protection masks.
>For example, can anybody think of a good reason for SYS.EXE to be W=RE?
>Or *every* device driver?  I don't know whether the 4.6 installation did
>this, but I'm going to suggest that our site review these masks carefully.
>
>Mark H. Wood

No, I can't think of any good reason either, but just a word of warning: if you
change the protection on F11BXQP.EXE to world no-access then the RSX layered
product won't work!  This is because it can't create the global section SYSXQP
which is required to be w:re, and guess where it gets it protection mask from.

That one bit me for several weeks - so watch out, there are some funny things
associated with the protection masks in SYS$SYSTEM.

	... and may your error log be forever empty ...

		Hubert Matthews