[comp.os.vms] VMS V5.0 & RD53 system disks

davel@tekgen.TEK.COM (Dave LaMora) (05/11/88)

I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
about this???

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (05/12/88)

>I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
>disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
>about this???

I don't believe this is true.  The way I understand the new installation
procedure will work is that it will be similar to the way uVMS used to work.
You pick and choose and only install the parts you want, so you can make it
fit on whatever disk you're using by just skipping the parts you don't want.

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (05/13/88)

In article <2898@tekgen.TEK.COM> davel@tekgen.TEK.COM (Dave LaMora) writes:
>I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
>disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
>about this???

I believe that it's the RD52 that won't be supported.  An RD53 should be
fine.

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrc.com
         Network Research Co.              kvc@ymir.bitnet
                                           kvc@nrcvax.uucp

malcolm@csdgwy.unsw.edu.au (Malcolm Wade) (05/16/88)

>I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
>disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
>about this???

According to the release notes that DEC have supplied to us, the distribution
kit for FT1 (v5.0) is 7,776 blocks larger the v4.6, some of which will be
used for the upgrade process and therefore not permanent. If you have an
RD53, this may cuase difficulties for customers with small disk configurations.

Malcolm

   |  Malcolm "Astro Boy" Wade,        ASCnet: malcolm@csdgwy.csd.unsw.oz |
   |  VAX/VMS Systems Group,         Spearnet: malcolm@csdgwy.unsw.edu.au |
   |  University of New South Wales,      FAX: 61 2 662 8665              |
   |  Australia.			Phone: 61 2 697 2835              |
   |  Note: It's not my fault, I just work here !!                        |

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (05/17/88)

In article <1472@nrcvax.UUCP>, kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) writes:
> In article <2898@tekgen.TEK.COM> davel@tekgen.TEK.COM (Dave LaMora) writes:
> >I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
> >disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
> >about this???
>
> I believe that it's the RD52 that won't be supported.  An RD53 should be
> fine.
>
>         /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrc.com
>          Network Research Co.              kvc@ymir.bitnet
>                                            kvc@nrcvax.uucp

Well, recently we tried to install VMS 4.6 (the "standard" version, NOT
MicroVMS 4.6) and the installation barfed and aborted because we had an
RD53 system disk.  Fortunately we had an RD54 at hand, but if this holds
true for merged VMS, then you will need an RD54 or bigger system disk.

Of course, you can probably "hack" your way around the upgrade or
install procedures, but life is too short to worry about it.  We took
the expedient route and used RD54's, which fortunately for us, we were
thinking about doing, anyway.  Still, it was irritating to forced to
do so.

Most sites using the standard VMS distribution probably never noticed
this "feature" of V4.6 because the system disk for such users is almost
always >= an RD54 (an RA or clone variant).  I assume the standard
distr. of 4.7 is the same.  Repeat:  I am NOT REFERRING TO MICROVMS.

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.GOV (Frank J. Nagy, VAX Wizard & Guru) (05/17/88)

> I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
> disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
> about this???

I have it on *very* good authority that one can build a VMS V5 system on
an RD53 with no problems.  Just not much space is left afterwards, but
its easy to "tailor-away" unneeded things.

= Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510