[comp.os.vms] Coping with PF keys... a possible kludge?

CADS_COLE@GALLUA.BITNET ("Kevin Cole at Gallaudet U. Washington DC") (05/20/88)

Date reply was sent:  20-MAY-1988 08:10:46   (Let's see how long it takes to
reach everyone...)

James Cameron (IN%"munnari!otc!metro!ipso!runx!cameron@uunet.uu.net") writes:

>There's the background - the problem is the PF4  key.  It  causes
>the  AST  routine to be called once for each character of the se-
>quence <ESC>OS, which causes the queue to be stopped, since  nei-
>ther <ESC> nor O are valid commands.  The PF4 key is used in most
>of our systems as a get-out key. Users  are  accidently  stopping
>their queues.

I'm no expert on any of this, so feel free to ignore me ;-)

However, I would try to take the lazy man's approach. (Lazyness, not necessity
was the mother of invention.)  Why not just save the meaning of the PF keys
somewhere, nuke them and then restore them when you're damn good and ready?
As I said, I'm no expert, and maybe you've already mentioned why that wouldn't
be good enough for you.  It would seem that you've set up other keys to have
special meanings (like "S", etc.)  So, nothing seems sacred about the PF keys.
Turn 'em into something harmless.

Kevin Cole      <Flatline>              BITNET: KJCOLE@GALLUA.BITNET
Center for Assessment and                               or
Demographic Studies  (CADS)                     CADS_COLE@GALLUA.BITNET
Gallaudet Research Institute  (GRI)     UUCP: ...!psuvax!gallua.bitnet!kjcole
Gallaudet University                    CompuServe: 76167,1406
Washington, D.C.  20002
(202) 651-5575

             "Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"