[comp.os.vms] DEC VT-240 and LA100 for sale

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (05/14/88)

My boss has an LA100 he wants to sell for $300, and a VT-240 for $700.  If
you are interested, please call him directly:

Bob Iden
(614) 297-1827

Thanks,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks      | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
                    |   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.
This space for rent |   ##

MCGUIRE@GRIN1.BITNET ("The Sysco Kid ", McGuire,Ed) (05/20/88)

> Date:         Sat, 14 May 88 16:55:35 GMT
> From:         "Ethan R. Dicks" <erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
> Subject:      DEC VT-240 and LA100 for sale
>
> My boss has an LA100 he wants to sell for $300, and a VT-240 for $700.

Gentle Readers:

Posting articles of a commercial nature may jeopardize the success of the list.
The BITNET Network Information Center (NIC) publication _BITNET Usage
Guidelines_ states that

    All  use  of  BITNET must be consistent with its goal to
    facilitate the exchange of non-commercial information in
    support of a member institution's mission  of  education
    and research. Commercial use is strictly forbidden.

My interpretation of this guideline is that it is violated by any article with
commercial content that is delivered by BITNET.

Of course, it is not appropriate or even possible for the NIC to apply this
policy to the authors unless they are BITNET users.  For example, Ethan is
probably on Arpanet and violating no guidelines that apply to him.  However,
the NIC can require the management at the gateway institution to filter out
commercial postings, or to cease forwarding Info-VAX to BITNET at all.  The
institution's BITNET membership could even be jeopardized.

A sizeable part of the information that is posted to this list comes from
BITNET subscribers.  Those sources would dry up if Info-VAX were no longer
available to them.  Therefore, it is in the interests of all Info-VAX
subscribers to refrain from posting commercial articles.

Ed

P.S.  Remember that the topic of Info-VAX is VAX computers.  Flame the
appropriateness of the policy elsewhere.  I suggest <POLICY-L@BITNIC.BITNET>,
whose domain is current and future BITNET policies.  Subscribe by sending a
memo or interactive message to <LISTSERV@BITNIC.BITNET> whose text is `SUB
POLICY-L J Doe' (or whatever your name is).

P.P.S.  I strongly support the non-commercial policy.