[comp.os.vms] Talking to

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (05/10/88)

I have an Ethernet comprising several segments, all joined by DEC LANBridges.

I now need to communicate with the LANBridges to check some error statistics
that they gather.

I know that DEC offers some "Remote Bridge Management" software which would
do this, but that's a VMS-only product.  For various reasons, I must speak
to them from UNIX.

I'm leafing through a pile of DECnet manuals and I can see that there's enough
information here to let me write a UNIX program which would simulate DECnet
sufficiently to collect the few statistics that I need.

But I'd rather not start from scratch.  I'd like to get in touch with anybody
who can offer anything to help.  I'd especially appreciate a library of
functions which implement basic DECnet protocols in a UNIX process.

	Thanks!
--
		 Jeff Stearns
	 Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

alan@cunixc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (05/16/88)

LAN Bridge management is not DECNET.  It is some proprietary undocumented
thing.  At least that's what I think it is since there is no manual that
describes it.  Imagine our chagrin as a large Ultrix customer (8700) unable
to manage our bridges without purchasing a microvax to run VMS.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/17/88)

In article <675@cunixc.columbia.edu> alan@cunixc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) writes:
>LAN Bridge management is not DECNET.  It is some proprietary undocumented
>thing.  At least that's what I think it is since there is no manual that
>describes it.  Imagine our chagrin as a large Ultrix customer (8700) unable
>to manage our bridges without purchasing a microvax to run VMS.

This is ridiculous.  Especially since DEC has said in recent announcements
that Ultrix has as much footing within the company as does VMS.  I would
suggest taking a different approach and insist that they provide the software
under Ultrix.  Surely DEC would be able to see the sense of being able
to announce that the software now runs under Ultrix?
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (05/21/88)

DEC is rediculous, there is all kinds of things you can do
under VMS that you ought to beable to do under ULTRIX but
can't.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for RBMS support.

-Ron