[comp.os.vms] FidoNet on VMS

HELLER@cs.umass.EDU (Stride 440 User) (05/23/88)

> From: "uncaedu::kieffer%Ucnet.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA"@cs.umass.EDU
> To: info-vax@KL.SRI.COM
>
> We are looking for a means to connect a VMS machine into the FIDO network.
>
> Rom Kieffer
> manager datacomm
> Academic Computing Services
> The University of Calgary
> Calgary, Alberta
> Canada
>
> Kieffer@uncaedu.bitnet
> Kieffer%ucnet.unca.adhocnet.ca@uncaedu.bitnet

Rom:
	You have two choises:

	1) (easy software wise, but slightly costly): Get a VAXMate.  These
critters have 80286 CPU's and run MS-DOS and have an EtherNet interface. You
should be able to run any standard FidoNet package (you may have to write a
FOSSIL driver), such as OPUS, FIDO12, SEADOG, BinklyTerm, Dutchie, etc.
OPUS and DUTCHIE are free, but don't come with sources.  SEADOG and FIDO12
cost.  BinklyTerm is free and comes with complete source code.  OPUS,
Dutchie, and BinklyTerm are generally available on local FidoNet BBS's.

	2) (hard software wise, but cheaper in hardware):  Get BinklyTerm
and port it to VMS.  You will also want a VMS BBS program (which you may
have to write) or write a foreign mail protocol interface to VMS Mail and
hook into VMS Notes. UNaXcess might be a good choise (although it is UNIX
oriented, it could be ported to VMS with some hacking).  BinklyTerm is very
much MS-DOS oriented, but is meant to be portable, more or less. I've
written something called Wolf/68K which is a FidoNet mail transport program
that runs under CP/M-68K and expects messages in UNaXcess's format.  This
critter could also be ported to VMS, but it would probably be harder than
BinklyTerm and is not as full featured as BinklyTerm.  I have recently
uploaded BSRC_140.ARC (sources for BinklyTerm V1.40) to BIX (V1.50 is out
though - slightly harder to get since it has not yet propagated throughout
the network).  Also on BIX is a full set of FidoNet Standards Committee
Technical Documents.

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller@CS.UMass.EDU
BITNET:		Heller@UMass.BITNET
BIX:		Heller
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	1:322/410.0 (Locks Hill BBS, Wendell, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller@CS