[comp.os.vms] EDT for PC ?

JFISHER@USGSRESV.BITNET (James R. Fisher) (05/03/88)

Has anyone knowledge of a simulation of the EDT editor for
IBM PC/XT/AT ?  Thanks in advance.

jfisher@usgsresv.bitnet

MISH@VMS3.MACC.WISC.EDU (Tom Mish - MACC) (05/06/88)

>Has anyone knowledge of a simulation of the EDT editor for
>IBM PC/XT/AT ?  Thanks in advance.
>
>jfisher@usgsresv.bitnet

Yup, It's called PC/EDT by BOSTON COMPUTING, LTD.
I've got it and I love it! It doesn't 'do' line mode
very well, but then, who wants line mode? It has some neat
enhancements and the normal screen mode works better than
the VAX EDIT/EDT. However, the keyboard mapping for the
screen mode keypad works best on a 'full' keypad.

I don't happen to have their ordering info with me, but I do
have their address.
    BOSTON BUSINESS COMPUTING, LTD.
    360 MERRIMACK ST.
    LAWRENCE, MASSACHUSETTS
          01843

Try it, you like it! :-)
_____________________     ____________________________     ___________________
                     \   /                            \   /
      Tom             \ /     Bit: mish@wiscmacc       \ /      Univ. Of Wis.
       Mish            X  Arpa: mish@vms.macc.wisc.edu  X        Madison
        Jr.           / \    Phone: (608) 262-8525     / \        MACC
_____________________/   \____________________________/   \___________________

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (05/09/88)

It's called PC/EDT, from the Boston Software Works.  $250.

ng@argus.UUCP (Jason Ng) (05/09/88)

In article <8805062048.AA27925@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JFISHER@USGSRESV.BITNET (James R. Fisher) writes:
>Has anyone knowledge of a simulation of the EDT editor for
>IBM PC/XT/AT ?  Thanks in advance.
>
>jfisher@usgsresv.bitnet

	I saw one simulation of the EDT on CompuServ. DOC file is included.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
<>       New  Jersey      <> Computing  <> UUCP:  ...!bellocre!argus!ng      ><
<> Institut of Technology <> Services   <> ARPA:  ng@njitsc1.njit.edu.ARPA   ><
<>   Newark, New Jersey   <> Department <> ngj_t%admin1.decnet@njitc.njit.edu><
<>       Jason T. Ng      <> 596-2900   <> ...!argus!mars!admin1.dnet!ngj_t  ><
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

youssef@NADC.ARPA (P. Youssef) (05/10/88)

Yes I have used it and it is just like edt [D. Sorry I can't tell you who
made it for it was on a system I used for  [D[D only a week.

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/11/88)

In article <2945@crash.cts.com> jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) writes:

>It's called PC/EDT, from the Boston Software Works.  $250.

Is this an additional product to, or a confusion for, PC/EDT from Boston
Business Computing, in Lawrence, MA?  If the latter, I heartily recommend
BBC's product, for PC and UNIX systems.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300

pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (05/13/88)

In article <8805062048.AA27925@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JFISHER@USGSRESV.BITNET (James R. Fisher) writes:
>Has anyone knowledge of a simulation of the EDT editor for
>IBM PC/XT/AT ?  Thanks in advance.

There's a C program for the Rainbow called Small-EDT which is public domain.
I have the sources for V1 and V2 if anyone's interested I can post them.  Also
available on a number of bulletin boards is SEDT which is a kind of second
generation EDT with Emacs/Eve enhancements.  There's also an EDT clone written
in pascal that's around somewhere.  I'll look around and try to post them
if there's any interest.  The Small-EDT supports line mode as well as screen
mode.  There's a commercial version of EDT for the PC from Boston Software
Works (I think that's the company-- that one uses the DEC manual as its manual
so it's got to be pretty compatible).

--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701

sandrock@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (05/18/88)

/* Written  9:14 am  May  6, 1988 by MISH@VMS3.MACC.WISC.EDU in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.os.vms */
/* ---------- "EDT for PC ?" ---------- */

>Has anyone knowledge of a simulation of the EDT editor for
>IBM PC/XT/AT ?  Thanks in advance.
>
>jfisher@usgsresv.bitnet

Yup, It's called PC/EDT by BOSTON COMPUTING, LTD.
I've got it and I love it! It doesn't 'do' line mode
very well, but then, who wants line mode? It has some neat
enhancements and the normal screen mode works better than
the VAX EDIT/EDT. However, the keyboard mapping for the
screen mode keypad works best on a 'full' keypad.

I don't happen to have their ordering info with me, but I do
have their address.
    BOSTON BUSINESS COMPUTING, LTD.
    360 MERRIMACK ST.
    LAWRENCE, MASSACHUSETTS
          01843

Try it, you like it! :-)
_____________________     ____________________________     ___________________
                     \   /                            \   /
      Tom             \ /     Bit: mish@wiscmacc       \ /      Univ. Of Wis.
       Mish            X  Arpa: mish@vms.macc.wisc.edu  X        Madison
        Jr.           / \    Phone: (608) 262-8525     / \        MACC
_____________________/   \____________________________/   \___________________
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.os.vms */

yuval@taux01.UUCP (Gideon Yuval) (05/23/88)

SEDT is available for PCs from anker@murphy.dec.com (Anker Berg-Sonne). It's
quite EDT-like, and an excellent al-round editor.
--
Gideon Yuval, yuval@taux01.nsc.com, +972-2-690992 (home) ,-52-522255(work)
 Paper-mail: National Semiconductor, 6 Maskit St., Herzliyah, Israel

tjw@cisunx.UUCP (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (05/26/88)

In article <655@taux01.UUCP> yuval@taux01.UUCP (Gideon Yuval) writes:

>SEDT is available for PCs from anker@murphy.dec.com (Anker Berg-Sonne). It's
>quite EDT-like, and an excellent al-round editor.

I agree that SEDT is a nice editor (for those of you who like EDT), but
I thought that it was available only to DEC employees.  Has Anker
released it to the rest of us?  If so, I would appreciate the details!

Thanks!

Terry
--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!allegra,bellcore,cadre,psuvax1}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS