[comp.os.vms] Fun and games with VMS MAIL

OBERMAN@ICDC.LLNL.GOV ("Kevin Oberman, LLNL, 422-6955, L-156", 415) (05/24/88)

>Does anyone know if the following is possible?
>
>Without actually setting up an account called (for example) "HELP",
>is it possible to set up some kind of logical or something to have any
>incoming mail addressed to "HELP" (even from bitnet, arpanet, etc)
>to be forwarded to a specific person, (for example) "MANAGER"?
>
>It /seems/ like a usefull thing to do, but I have no idea if it can even
>be done.  Or should I wait for VMS MAIL 5.0 ?

Sure! just insert a record for HELP into SYS$SYSTEM:VMSMAIL.DAT with a
forwarding address of MANAGER. This may be done with the MAIL command:

SET FORWARD/USER=HELP MANAGER

This requires privs, so I suggest you do it from the system account. Please
note that this just sticks the record into the VMSMAIL file. It does not check
the UAF for either HELP or MANAGER.

If you wish to remove the phoney record, use SYS$EXAMPLES:MAILUAF.COM. Please
note that MAIL changes quite a bit in V5, and both MAILUAF.COM and VMSMAIL.DAT
are no longer there. I can confirm that the SET FORWARD still works, but
I'm not sure how to remove the bogus record.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (05/27/88)

In article <8805260800.AA19275@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, OBERMAN@ICDC.LLNL.GOV ("Kevin Oberman, LLNL, 422-6955, L-156", 415) writes:
> >Does anyone know if the following is possible?
> >
> >Without actually setting up an account called (for example) "HELP",
> >is it possible to set up some kind of logical or something to have any
>
> SET FORWARD/USER=HELP MANAGER
>
> If you wish to remove the phoney record, use SYS$EXAMPLES:MAILUAF.COM. Please
> note that MAIL changes quite a bit in V5, and both MAILUAF.COM and VMSMAIL.DAT
> are no longer there. I can confirm that the SET FORWARD still works, but
> I'm not sure how to remove the bogus record.

Actually removing it is just as easy:

SET NOFORWARD/USER=HELP

will do just what you want when you desire to get rid of it.  Actually,
I didn't know any of this before I read the original posting.  The help
just say (cryptically) that users with suitable privelege can set forwards
for any user, but declines to admit how this can be done.  Zow-ey, Batman!

Tom Cole
SAS Institute
{Anywhere}|mcnc|rti|sas|cole

Opinions?  No thanks.