[comp.os.vms] VMS 5 and various disks...

XRJJM%SCINT.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU (John McMahon, (05/24/88)

***> >I have recently been told that RD53s will no longer be allowed as system
***> >disks due to the new "one size fits all" VMS.  Has anyone else heard anything
***> >about this???
***>
***> I don't believe this is true.  The way I understand the new installation
***> procedure will work is that it will be similar to the way uVMS used to work.
***> You pick and choose and only install the parts you want, so you can make it
***> fit on whatever disk you're using by just skipping the parts you don't want.
***>
***> -Mitch Collinsworth
***>  mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

During the DECUS symposium last week, DEC made no mention of "you can't
use this drive as a V5 system disk".  However, they did mention that one form
of distribution (on a low density floppy disk) was being discontinued because
of the growing size of the VMS kit.  The drive model eludes me at this time,
but it should be in my notes...

CD-ROM kits are apparently available, anyone using such a beast ???

John McMahon
xrjjm%scint.span@star.stanford.edu

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (05/26/88)

OK, today I INSTALLED V5.0 on a RD53 system disk and before doing anything
else, there were 61800 free blocks remaining.  5.0 has a utility called
VMSTAILOR that runs through the various optional parts of VMS and lets you
select the ones you'd like to remove.

The release notes pertaining to system disks say the following:  RC25 and
RK07 and not supported FOR THE UPGRADE PROCEDURE, but you can still INSTALL
5.0 on these disks.  For RD52 system disks, the upgrade procedure doesn't
restore certain files (full library and optional files), but after upgrading,
you can move the files you need onto the disk.

info-vax-request%kl.sri.COM%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/28/88)

Date: 25 May 88 20:29:53 GMT
From: mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Mitch Collinsworth)
Subject: Re: VMS 5 and various disks...