[comp.os.vms] HELP ME

SL747@usu.bitnet (05/25/88)

Reference: 5807@cup.portal.com

In article <5807@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com (UNK) writes:
>Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(
>
>Hi.  I just finished my junior year in college, and now I'm
>faced with a major problem.  I can't afford to pay for my senior
>year.  I've tried everything.  I can't get any more student loans,
>I don't qualify for any more scholarships, and my parents are as
>broke as am I.  So as you can see, I've got a major problem.  But
>as far as I can see, there is only one solution, to go forward.
>I've come along way, and there is no chance in hell that I'm going
>to drop out now!  I'm not a quiter, and I'm not going to give up.
>  [ I'm sure that everyone knows the rest of the message by now ]
>  [ Rest of garbage wasted ]

[*FLAME THROWER ON FULL*]

        I can not believe what an asinine thing you did by sending a
message like you have over the last few days.  Just on the 24th of
May you sent that one message to atleast 22 Newsgroups.  With the cost
it would take some people to download just that one message would much
out-weigh any chance of getting money from almost anybody on the Usenet
that has any sense about them.
        I for one would never send money to someone that would resort to
such feable attempts such as you have.  You have reminded me of someone that
would try to scam money from the welfare services, even when you are not in
need of the money.  You are just taking advantage of a service that is
available.  You obviously have enough money to be able to get on the computer
everyday and send that same damn message.  If you are just trying to get
        And besides, what makes you feel that you are so much more special than
anybody else that people should send you money and not send it to somebody else

jadler@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Josh Adler) (05/26/88)

In article <034449.2147405664@cc.usu.edu> SL747@usu.bitnet writes:
>You obviously have enough money to be able to get on the computer
>everyday and send that same damn message.

Talk about a way to waste a flame and lots of our stupid time!
First off, if you were so bloody concerned about spending money on
the net, you could have merely e-mailed him a response, Instead,
you waste my time and more net money by posting this piece of idiotic
babble to five newsgroups. Pretty hypocritical.

And second, just because he has access to the net doesn't mean he has
the money to pay for it. Many colleges allow access to the net and posting
FREE OF CHARGE, i.e., the college foots the bill. Take Dartmouth, for
instance... I'm not spendig a damned penny for this, save for the initial
cost of a computer and a disk, and we even have public terminals for those
students who can't afford a computer of their own.

I, for one, found the appeal for small donations to be a rather ingenious
if not downright ballsy way to pay the tuition bill. It's been done before,
costs relatively little, and the worst that can happen is that you're no
worse off than before the plea is made. Not that I'm going to send in a
buck myself (I need all the spare cash I got!), but it IS a viable alter-
native if you have no other recourse and you don't want to deal with the
banks and their ridiculous interest rates.

So blow it out your arse and shut up. If asking for money over the net is
really such a horrible thing, then he won't GET any, will he? QED.

--j--

DISCLAIMER:                              <<<jadler@eleazar.dartmouth.edu>>>
The views expressed above are not to be confused with those of the college,
nor are they representative of the general mindframe of college students as
a whole. They're mine, all mine, and you can't have any. So THERE! ;-)

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (05/27/88)

I think that you all should not flame this poor misguided
young man. Consider the initiative which he displays.
 Certainly he has missed his calling. He should not be pursuing
a carreer in computer science. He seems to have the necessary
qualities for several other honoured, glamourous and well
respected , nay admired , carrers in these United States:
  Politician,  TV evangelist, Adverising executive, Stock broker

info-vax-request%kl.sri.COM%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/28/88)

Date: 25 May 88 03:44:49 GMT
From: usu.bitnet!SL747@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: RE: HELP ME (*Oh, what a flame for JJ@Portal*)
Sender: info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
To: info-vax@kl.sri.com

Date: 25 May 88 20:41:40 GMT
From: dartvax!eleazar.dartmouth.edu!jadler@bu-cs.bu.edu  (Josh Adler)
Sender: info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
To: info-vax@kl.sri.com

In article <034449.2147405664@cc.usu.edu> SL747@usu.bitnet writes:
>You obviously have enough money to be able to get on the computer
>everyday and send that same damn message.

Talk about a way to waste a flame and lots of our stupid time!
First off, if you were so bloody concerned about spending money on
the net, you could have merely e-mailed him a response, Instead,
you waste my time and more net money by posting this piece of idiotic
babble to five newsgroups. Pretty hypocritical.

And second, just because he has access to the net doesn't mean he has
the money to pay for it. Many colleges allow access to the net and posting
FREE OF CHARGE, i.e., the college foots the bill. Take Dartmouth, for
instance... I'm not spendig a damned penny for this, save for the initial
cost of a computer and a disk, and we even have public terminals for those
students who can't afford a computer of their own.

I, for one, found the appeal for small donations to be a rather ingenious
if not downright ballsy way to pay the tuition bill. It's been done before,
costs relatively little, and the worst that can happen is that you're no
worse off than before the plea is made. Not that I'm going to send in a
buck myself (I need all the spare cash I got!), but it IS a viable alter-
native if you have no other recourse and you don't want to deal with the
banks and their ridiculous interest rates.

So blow it out your arse and shut up. If asking for money over the net is
really such a horrible thing, then he won't GET any, will he? QED.

--j--

DISCLAIMER:                              <<<jadler@eleazar.dartmouth.edu>>>
The views expressed above are not to be confused with those of the college,
nor are they representative of the general mindframe of college students as
a whole. They're mine, all mine, and you can't have any. So THERE! ;-)

HINSONKP@VTMATH.BITNET (Ken Hinson) (05/28/88)

Let's avoid the bloodshed and endless messages that occurred with the
VMS vs. *NIX war.  If you are going to flame about this do it directly
to the original author -- don't flood the net for the next few weeks.