[comp.os.vms] Who can verify the deal with MICROFICHE?

JWMANLY@AMHERST.BITNET (John W Manly) (05/17/88)

(As usual, my apologies to anyone who has already seen this -- but there
seems to be some strange problem with sending to INFO-VAX from BITNET)

Hi, everyone.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help.

I know this issue has come up before, but now I need specific information.
We are trying to obtain the VAX/VMS microfiche.  I know about the two
particular piece-parts that need to be ordered (the license and the
update), but our sales division seems to still be under the impression that
we need to pay something like $25,000 for the Source License before we can
get the fiche.

Now, I do not want a list of items, nor do I want statements from anybody
on how our sales people should get their acts together.

What I am looking for is some site which has managed to get the microfiche
without paying for the source license.  If such a site really does exist,
could they PLEASE SEND ME THE NAME OF THEIR SALES REP.  That way, my sales
guy and call their sales guy and get told what the scoop really is.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.  My sales rep says he has called everyone he knows to
call, and they all say we need to pay for the Source License.  So unless
someone helps out, we will not be able to get it.

Thank you.

BITNET:  JWMANLY@AMHERST              - John W. Manly
PHONE:   (413)-542-2526                 System Manager
                                        Amherst College

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (05/24/88)

(Original poster's DEC sales rep is brain-dead... er, is misinformed wrt
license requirements for listings on microfiche, apparently believing that
poster must order the $25K magtape source kit to be eligible to buy the
$500 fiche kit.)

We have the listings on fiche, and certainly didn't pay $25K for the magtape
sources.  Our sales rep is Bridget Diehl.  619-292-1818, x657 (Pacific time).

Besides having your sales rep call our sales rep, there are a couple of other
things you could try.  One is to read to your sales rep the section on
"Source Materials Options" at the end of the VAX/VMS Software Product
Description.  Point out that there is no mention of any interdepndency
between the "source license and source listings option" (which is the fiche)
and the "source license and sources distribution option" (which is the magtape),
though a dependency is clearly state between the "sources update distribution
option" (which are updates to the magtape) and the "source license and sources
distribution option".  Point out that if there WAS a dependency between the
fiche and the tape, it would be stated just as the one for the magtape update
is.  Demand that s/he show you where it says otherwise.  Demand that s/he put
the order through, and let somebody upstairs bounce it....

...failing all of that, you can try placing the order yourself through the
Digital Store.  You should also escalate your complaint:  Talk to your rep's
boss, etc., until you get results.

I will do something from the other end.  I have the name of the VMS Product
Manager who is involved with source kit issues, and can send mail via the
DECUS communication system (DCS).  I will ask that information be published
in the Sales Update (a DEC-internal publication) to clarify this issue.  From
what I've heard at DECUS and elsewhere, there are many, many sales reps around
who are confused about this.  It's important that they be set straight, because
DEC is currently examining the source kit issue.  It seems that it costs them
more than $500 to produce the fiche, partly because so few people order it.
They are looking at pricing issues, at alternate media (yes, we have asked
them repeatedly about listings on CD-ROM), etc.  If people are not ordering
fiche because their sales reps are telling them that it'll cost them $25,000,
this needs to be fixed, FAST.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego, CA

info-vax-request%kl.sri.COM%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/29/88)

Date: 23 May 88 22:35:39 GMT
From: ucsdhub!jack!crash!jeh@ucsd.edu  (Jamie Hanrahan)
Subject: Re: Who can verify the deal with MICROFICHE?