[comp.os.vms] Public domain MIX for VMS available

MOOREMJ@AIM.RUTGERS.EDU (marty moore) (05/26/88)

I have developed a public domain VMS implementation of Don Knuth's
hypothetical computer, MIX.  The package, which I am calling VMIX, has two
major software components: a MIX assembly language assembler and an
interactive MIX simulator.  The software requires no special privileges to
execute.

The VMIX software is available from Internet host AIM.RUTGERS.EDU via
anonymous FTP (non-standard -- use username GUEST and password GUEST).
Since people are understandably worried about viruses and trojan horses, I am
distributing source code only, with a command file for you to rebuild the
executables.  The distribution software is located in directory
DUA0:[USR.MOOREMJ.VMIX] and consists of the following files:

	MIX.CLD		        -- VMIX command definition file
	MIXAL.MAR	        -- Assembler source code
	MIXSIM.MAR	        -- Simulator source code
	MIXMSG.MSG	        -- Message file
	MIXSIM.HLP	        -- Simulator help text
	MIXSIM_COMMANDS.CLD     -- Simulator command definition file
	P50.MXL		        -- Short MIXAL program (test case)
	README.TXT		-- This information
	VMIX_HELP.HLP	        -- VMIX help text
	VMIX_INSTALL.COM        -- VMIX installation command file
	VMIX_RELEASE_NOTES.DOC  -- Formatted release notes
	VMIX_RELEASE_NOTES.RND  -- Release notes RUNOFF source
	VMIX_USERS_MANUAL.DOC   -- Formatted user's manual
	VMIX_USERS_MANUAL.RND   -- User's manual RUNOFF source

[Note that if you do an FTP "LIST" of the directory the server will return
"Can't access file" for some of the files with long names.  This is not
really true -- you can still GET the files by specifying the names listed
above.  It's just that the server doesn't like to LIST long file names.]

Since I don't wish to abuse the generosity of my hosts at Rutgers, I
will not perform mass mailings of the software.  However, I will mail it
to any person willing to act as a distribution site for a non-Internet
network (e.g., Bitnet.)

The VMIX software is released strictly "as is".  No warranty is expressed or
implied, and use of the software is at your own risk.  Future support is
possible but not guaranteed; please send bug reports/fixes, suggestions,
comments, etc. to mooremj@AIM.RUTGERS.EDU.  (Also, please do send me a note if
you retrieve the software and plan to use it; I'd like to keep track of the
distribution in case I send out updates.)

					Marty Moore
					mooremj@AIM.RUTGERS.EDU

MOOREMJ%aim.rutgers.EDU%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/29/88)