[comp.os.vms] What resources does an idle process tie up ... or why have

WHEELER@CC.UTAH.EDU (05/25/88)

Subject: What resources does an idle process tie up ... or why have

Here are a few reasons that I know of for having an idle process killer.
(Please note, none of the system's I'm in charge of use an idle process
killer)

1) User's don't log out, someone use's thier account (student's in University
   environment)

2) You really want the user's list to reflect who is actually working on
   the system.

3) You install new software and the user who never logs out doesn't get
   the new DCL table starts complaining. (Hassle factor)

4) You re-install the DCL tables (after installing any layered product)
   and all the user's who haven't logged out are still mapped to the old
   installed DCL table and hence you use up some global pages. (I once
   didn't have enough global pages to continue the installation and hence
   had a machine that one couldn't log into! STOP/ID cured that problem)

By the way, does anyone *really* make all the user's log off and shutdown
the network to install new products?

Bob Wheeler
bob%howard@cc.utah.edu

EPRF@SNYCENVM.BITNET (Peter Flass) (05/27/88)

  The reason we run an idle process killer is to keep people from logging
in and tying up a dial-up port indefinitely.   Of course if you have lots
of ports....
      - Pete Flass

WHEELER%CC.UTAH.EDU%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/28/88)

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 00:51 MDT
From: WHEELER@CC.UTAH.EDU
To: info-vax@KL.SRI.COM

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (05/29/88)

In article <8805270320.AA07440@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, WHEELER@CC.UTAH.EDU writes:
> Subject: What resources does an idle process tie up ... or why have
>
> Here are a few reasons that I know of for having an idle process killer.
> (Please note, none of the system's I'm in charge of use an idle process
> killer)
>
> [you've seen the list, so I'm omitting it]

> By the way, does anyone *really* make all the user's log off and shutdown
> the network to install new products?
>
> Bob Wheeler
> bob%howard@cc.utah.edu

Here at Ball State University, the entire four-node Vaxcluster is completely
shut down from 5PM Friday night til 8AM Saturday morning for backups, main-
tenance, and who knows what else (I've been a student so I don't know the inner
arcane details).  Software installation is done either at THAT time, or in an
even MORE extended shutdown (this whole holiday weekend, for example) during
inter-quarter Breaks...

Of course, this is a HUGE system (comments on this next quote are solicited):
our system manager quotes a figure of about 25,000 users...  (Not all at the
same time, of course, but that's about right, in terms of the number of
accounts living on the system, by my own experience.)

Chris Chiesa
 Ball State University

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

In article <3199@bsu-cs.UUCP>, I wrote:

> Here at Ball State University, the entire four-node Vaxcluster is completely
> shut down from 5PM Friday night til 8AM Saturday morning for backups, main-
> tenance, and who knows what else...
>
> Of course, this is a HUGE system (comments on this next quote are solicited):
> our system manager quotes a figure of about 25,000 users...  (Not all at the
> same time, of course, but that's about right, in terms of the number of
> accounts living on the system, by my own experience.)

I'd meant to add that typical system use is between 180 and 200 interactive
users, during "peak" periods that I'VE seen personally.

Chris Chiesa