[comp.os.vms] Letter to Glenn MacKinnon

LIVINGSTONE%ELMO.DECNet@BERT.CHEM.WISC.EDU (PHI-BONES) (05/26/88)

Glenn MacKinnon:

Thanks for your help.  I didn't know about the messages buffer.
It turns out that I stated my question wrongly (word?)  It turns out I CAN
spawn from the EVE editor, as I can spawn from DCL.  However, I cannot execute
DCL commands from EVE with the EVE <DCL> command.  I originally thought
that this command merely "spawned" out of EVE to another process to execute the
DCL command given... hence my false assumption that ALL spawning was disabled.
But if the DCL command doesn't "spawn" to execute DCL commands external
to the EVE environment, then what does it do??  I'm really stumped.  To
top it off, I run EVE on another nearby machine (an 8650, not a microVAX)
and I can DCL commands there just fine.  (I must point out that the VMS
versions are different between the two machines, however.)

Below are the messages which I get in the MESSAGES buffer when I try to
execute a DCL command from EVE:

Creating DCL subprocess...
Subprocess terminated
DCL subprocess could not be created

I would be grateful for any assistance you could provide.

Thanks.

Jeff

P.S. - Can you tell me what a "template" device is?
       Do you have any idea what a non-file structure device labeled
       "PUA0:" (default) might be?

LIVINGSTONE%ELMO.DECNet%bert.chem.wisc.EDU%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/29/88)