[comp.os.vms] Logical Mail Forwarding

MASSEY%CMS1@TQMS.LLNL.GOV ("Massey%CMS1@ICDC.LLNL.GOV Bldg235 Rm1064 L-352 422-1958", 415) (05/24/88)

David B. Caplinger writes:

> Without actually setting up an account called (for example) "HELP",
> is it possible to set up some kind of logical or something to have any
> incoming mail addressed to "HELP" (even from bitnet, arpanet, etc)
> to be forwarded to a specific person, (for example) "MANAGER"?

With SYSNAM privilege, startup MAIL and do the following:

Mail> SET FORWARD /USER=HELP MANAGER

That's all there is to it. No setting up of accounts and then deleting them,
no defining of system logicals that may create adverse side effects some place
else.

The ability to do this is hinted at when you do a:

Mail> HELP SET FORWARD

although the /USER qualifier is not discussed.

Warren Massey
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808, L-352
Livermore, Calif. 94550

MASSEY%CMS1@TQMS.LLNL.GOV
MASSEY%CMS1@ICDC.LLNL.GOV
MASSEY%CMS1@CIRCUS.LLNL.GOV

The opinions expressed herein are purely my own and do not represent in any
way the opinions of my employer. No claims are made as to the accuracy or
correctness of information contained herein.

BARBE@sdr.slb.COM ("Claude Barbe - SDR - 431 5524", 203) (05/27/88)

Read VAX/VMS Mail Utility Reference Manual VAX/VMS Version 4.0 AA-Z421A-TE
page MAIL-71

	$ SET PROCESS/PRIVILEGE=SYSNAM
	$ MAIL
	MAIL> SET FORWARD manager /USER=help

Verify what the current recipient of mail addressed to HELP is with:

	$ SET PROCESS/PRIVILEGE=SYSNAM
	$ MAIL
	MAIL> SHOW FORWARD /USER=help

0) I use it all the time

1) HELP does not require a SYSUAF account

2) It works as long as the official MAIL.EXE is the only agent depositing
   new mail on your system. It is then OK for all sources such as DDXF, PSI
   and PMDF which use the foreign mail interface to MAIL.EXE

3) It can be altered at any time on a VAXCluster
   in one command

4) It is as powerful as a system wide /EXEC logical name without the risk
   of bothering people who designate files by only their name without the
   file type (try $ DEFINE/SYS/EXEC HELP MANAGER and then $ PASCAL HELP...)
   if their file happens to match a system wide logical name.
   System wide logical names should always be chosen in such a way as not
   to collide with possible user file names, this is why they are SYS$xxx
   or PMDF_xxx.

Claude Barbe - Schlumberger-Doll Research - Ridgefield, CT

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (05/30/88)

In article <8805281715.AA10592@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, BARBE@sdr.slb.COM ("Claude
Barbe - SDR -  431 5524", 203) answers the much-replied-to question about
Logical Mail Forwarding.  In the process, he states:

> 2) It works as long as the official MAIL.EXE is the only agent depositing
>    new mail on your system. It is then OK for all sources such as DDXF, PSI
>    and PMDF which use the foreign mail interface to MAIL.EXE

This "foreign mail interface" sounds like it could be the solution to some
programming questions I've been pondering lately.  Can anyone give me any
information about this (the more detailed the better).  Looking at system
microfiche is NOT an option, nor is looking at manuals beyond the standard
Vax/VMS document set.  (I.e., this is a college environment, and the manage-
ment is justifiably sensitive to what manuals are racked in the "public ac-
cess" rooms.)

Thanks in advance.

  Chris Chiesa
   Ball State University
   Muncie, Indiana
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP