From:    Bruce Hedley <hedley@wnre.aecl.cdn>
To:      <robert@arizona.edu>
Subject: lint for VMS

	We are using I.P.T.'s FORTRAN-lint here at Whiteshell, and find it
to be a very ease-to-use and useful tool.  It has shown up many oversights
(or omissions) on our part and has helped in Q.A.'ing the code which the
group I work in is developing.  It was recently reviewed in, I believe,
"Digital Review" (within the past six weeks) and received favourable
comments from the reviewer.

	The cost last year was about US $4500 for the package (for a VAX
8650 license). 	The national sales manager is John Dee, and I think you
will find him very straightforward and helpful.

	With regard to Joe Barone's comments to the net (which you likely
have seen), I can only say that I'm amazed.  However, he was dealing with a
different product, perhaps developed by a different group within I.P.T.  Our
experience with I.P.T. has been that for the FORTRAN-lint product, they were
very good at product support, and comments which I passed on to the technical
staff (after demo'ing the package) WERE acted upon, in most cases.

Cheers

Bruce Hedley
Thermalhydraulics Branch
Atomic Energy of CANADA Limited
Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment
Pinawa, Manitoba, CANADA
(204)-753-2311 X 2700
<hedley@wnre.aecl.cdn>

hedley%wnre.aecl.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (Bruce Hedley) (05/31/88)

	The following was mailed directly to <rayssd!m1b@decuac.dec.com>
{a.k.a. Joe Barone, Raytheon Inc., Portsmouth} this A.M. but was returned
with an 'illegal address' error, hence I post to the net:

=======================<Message Follows>=============================
Message inbox:2 -  Sent
From:    Bruce Hedley <hedley@wnre.aecl.cdn>
To:      <rayssd!m1b@decuac.dec.com>

	I saw your 'flame' regarding IPT this A.M. and, as I mentioned
to Robert Drabek { <robert@arizona.edu> } I'm just amazed.  We bought
FORTRAN-lint from the same guys a year ago and couldn't be happier. Our
experience has been that:

	a) the package works as advertised
	b) any comments which we gave to sales staff seemed to
	   be passed on to technical staff, as some of the requested
	   features appeared in later code releases
	c) remote support via the telephone was very good

Most likely the FORTRAN-lint product was developed by a separate group
than the lint-PLUS, and perhaps it is really a lemon.  At any rate, I
know that this doesn't solve the shortcomings in lint-PLUS which you
encountered, but I just wanted to comment on our experience with IPT.

	Oh, B.T.W., the FORTRAN-lint tool was reviewed recently in,
I believe, "Digital Review", and given generally pretty good marks. I
can't recall the issue exactly (since I'm only on a circulation list)
but I think it was early April.