[comp.os.vms] another INSTALLED IMAGE question

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (05/10/88)

We are runnning 2 11/780s in a clustered environment.  Twice in as many months
we have had to take one of the HSC controlled drives down for maintenance and
the operator forgot to check for installed images on that drive before
dismounting them.  The result is that the drive gets stuck in a mount/dismount
state.  Is there anyone to remedy this short of a system reboot?

Thanx,

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...{ism780|amdahl}!drivax!braun
"I'll let you be in my dream                      If I can be in yours"

tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) (05/11/88)

In article <3387@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
>We are runnning 2 11/780s in a clustered environment.  Twice in as many months
>we have had to take one of the HSC controlled drives down for maintenance and
>the operator forgot to check for installed images on that drive before
>dismounting them.  The result is that the drive gets stuck in a mount/dismount
>state.  Is there anyone to remedy this short of a system reboot?
>
>Thanx, kral

If you go into instal and remove the images, that is supposed to work.
(That's what i've done with the problem before and it worked okay.)
If a process has a file open for write, then I'm not certain stopping that
process will work.  I've had similar problems at times.

michael j zehr

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (05/11/88)

In article <5241@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) writes:
> In article <3387@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
> >the operator forgot to check for installed images on that drive before
> >dismounting them.  The result is that the drive gets stuck in a mount/dismount
> >state.  Is there anyone to remedy this short of a system reboot?
>
> If you go into instal and remove the images, that is supposed to work.
> (That's what i've done with the problem before and it worked okay.)

Last time I tried this, it didn't work. Install reported that the drive was
not mounted (at the same time, when trying to remount the drive, mount reported
that the drive was already mounted). Now this was under VMS 4.4 or 4.5 and on
a non-clustered, non-HSC disk. I would believe (and hope) that they have fixed
the problem in a later version.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (05/12/88)

>> >the operator forgot to check for installed images on that drive before
>> >dismounting them.  The result is that the drive gets stuck in a mount/dismount
>> >state.  Is there anyone to remedy this short of a system reboot?

>> If you go into instal and remove the images, that is supposed to work.
>> (That's what i've done with the problem before and it worked okay.)

>Last time I tried this, it didn't work. Install reported that the drive was
>not mounted (at the same time, when trying to remount the drive, mount reported
>that the drive was already mounted). Now this was under VMS 4.4 or 4.5 and on
>a non-clustered, non-HSC disk. I would believe (and hope) that they have fixed
>the problem in a later version.

Probably not.  I just got a disk stuck in this state last night on a LAVc'd
VAXstation II running 4.7.  I wanted to do a backup of it.  When I tried to
mount it, mount said it was 'already mounted.'  When I tried to run backup,
backup said it wasn't mounted.  When I did a directory on it, directory
worked.   Whew.   I rebooted.

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (05/17/88)

We're talking about the drives getting in a mount/dismount state when you try
to dismount a drive with installed images on it.

Someone said:

>>> If you go into instal and remove the images, that is supposed to work.
>>> (That's what i've done with the problem before and it worked okay.)

To which someone else replied:
>>Last time I tried this, it didn't work. Install reported that the drive wasn't
>>mounted (at the same time, when trying to remount the drive, mount reported
>>that the drive was already mounted). Now this was under VMS 4.4 or 4.5 and on
>>a non-clustered, non-HSC disk. I would believe (and hope) that they have fixed
>>the problem in a later version.

And in article <4779@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(Mitch Collinsworth) added:
>Probably not.  I just got a disk stuck in this state last night on a LAVc'd
>VAXstation II running 4.7.  I wanted to do a backup of it.  When I tried to
>mount it, mount said it was 'already mounted.'  When I tried to run backup,
>backup said it wasn't mounted.  When I did a directory on it, directory
>worked.   Whew.   I rebooted.

and this is exactly the problem (I'm running 4.7 too).  We've talked to DEC
once, and they said to try a dismount/cluster which may or may not work, and if
not, rebootski time.  I'm not satisfied with this.

I can't really think of a reason why an installed image needs access to it's
home drive in order to be dismounted, unless there is a record of it being
installed somewhere on the drive (like in the directory or some peripheral
structure).  Anyway, one can think of uninstalling the image requireing a
closing of the file.  Now you can see the problem: you can't close the file
if the system thinks the drive is dismounted, and you can't mount the drive if
the system thinks it's already mounted.

This looks like a terribly big hole to me, and I would have thought it would
have been discovered and fixed by now.  I guess I'm just an idealist.  But I
would think there would be an (at least undocumented) dismount damnit command.

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...{ism780|amdahl}!drivax!braun
"I'll let you be in my dream                      If I can be in yours"
DISCLAIMER: If DRI knew I was saying this stuff, they would shut me d~-~oxx

heisterb@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (05/18/88)

This probably won't work, but...
Perhaps try a DISMOUNT/ABORT.  I think I did that once a while back when
dismounting a volume set with an installed image living on it.  I suppose
installed images on user disk volume sets isn't a real good idea, but we
didn't have much choice considering our collection of disk drives.

DJ Heisterberg
National Center for Superconfusing Applications
13004@ncsa[a|b].ncsa.uiuc.edu
--
"Methinks sometimes I have no more wit than a Christian or an ordinary
 man has: but I am a great eater of beef and believe it does harm my wit."

CHRIS@ACRUX.USC.EDU (Christopher Ho) (05/21/88)

I have succesfully released disks in mounted/dismount states by removing
read/execute only installed images, and stopping all processes using
those images.  This is usually only a job or two, but can be almost the
entire system if the installed file is a secondary page/swapfile.
-------

jjr@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Riveira) (05/31/88)

	>> How can I clear mount verification on a disk without having
	>> to reboot the system?

		The way to release disks hung in the mount
		verification state without rebooting is by
		using the DISMOUNT/ABORT command. It terminates
		mount verification and cancels outstanding I/O
		requests.

*   Jim Riveira 		decvax\				*
*   John Fluke Mfg., Co., Inc.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\		*
*   PO Box C9090  M.S. 254C		   allegra >!fluke!jjr	*
*   Everett,WA 98206 USA	ucbvax >!lbl-csam /		*
*   (206)356-5356		hplabs/				*