[comp.os.vms] The ongoing DST debate: a stupid suggestion

RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (05/20/88)

Date: 19-MAY-1988 14:56:16.39
From: Ralph Becker-Szendy RALPH AT UHHEPG
To:   0::"info-vax@kl.sri.com",RALPH
Subj: The ongoing DST debate: a stupid suggestion
From a recent message:
> Ittai Hershman's proposal suggests a simple solution to the problem faced
> by VMS users in Indiana, where DST is not used:  just set DST_INVERVAL to
> zero.  I like that.

Or even easier, do it like most data acquisition machines used in astronomy:
run the clock in UT. That is "Universal Time", also known as Greenwich Mean
Time. You never have any problems with time-zones or daylight saving time. You
just have to educate your users that the clock is always going to be some hours
off (here in Hawaii it's 10 hours). You can even synchronize your computer
clock to the nearest WWV transmitter, and the time on your computer will be
accurate to a microsecond.

Or you emigrate to Hawaii (like I did). First of all, we don't have daylight
saving time; there is enough sunshine to make saving it ridiculous. Second,
there are only two different times known in Hawaii: Surf's Up, and Surf's not
up.

By the way, this posting is NOT meant serious, if you haven't figured that out
yet.

Just coincidentally, I don't surf. I work on the VAX in my office in an ugly
concrete building all the time.

Ralph Becker-Szendy                            RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU
University of Hawaii / High Energy Physics Group        RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET
Watanabe Hall #203, 2505 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822      (808)948-7391

GG.SPY@ISUMVS.BITNET ("John Hascall") (05/25/88)

> Date:         Thu, 19 May 88 15:04:00 LCL
> Sender:       INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@UBVM>
> From:         RALPH%UHHEPG.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
> Subject:      The ongoing DST debate: a stupid suggestion
> To:           John Hascall <GA.JPH@ISUMVS>
>
> From: Ralph Becker-Szendy RALPH AT UHHEPG
> Subj: The ongoing DST debate: a stupid suggestion
> From a recent message:
>> Ittai Hershman's proposal suggests a simple solution to the problem faced
>> by VMS users in Indiana, where DST is not used:  just set DST_INVERVAL to
>> zero.  I like that.
>
> Or even easier, do it like most data acquisition machines used in astronomy:
> run the clock in UT. That is "Universal Time", also known as Greenwich Mean
> Time. You never have any problems with time-zones or daylight saving time. You
> just have to educate your users that the clock is always going to be some hour
> off (here in Hawaii it's 10 hours). You can even synchronize your computer
> clock to the nearest WWV transmitter, and the time on your computer will be
> accurate to a microsecond.

  [comments on surfing omitted]

> Ralph Becker-Szendy                            RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU
> University of Hawaii / High Energy Physics Group        RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET
> Watanabe Hall #203, 2505 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822      (808)948-7391

   At the risk of beating a dead horse....

This seems (to me) like the beginning of a good scheme.

1) run the system clock in UT and use these numbers for things that need
   a nice continuous function with no jumps (logs, accounting, etc).
   (Basically the system just uses a quadword value and doesn't really
   care what the time base is--only users care).

2) have SYSGEN parameters (the solution to all problems involves sysgen
   parameters, doesn't it? :-) as follows so users could see and use times
   in a convenient fashion:

   CLK_OFFSET     number of 100ns intervals to add-to/subtract-from UT to
                  get local standard time

   CLK_ALTADD     number of 100ns intervals to add-to/subtract-from
                  UT+CLK_OFFSET to get "alternate" local time

   CLK_OFFNAME    string to identify local standard time (i.e., CST, PST, etc.)

   CLK_ALTNAME    string to identify local alternate time (i.e., CDT, PDT, etc.)

   CLK_ALTON      when to switch to alternate time (quadword value in UT)

   CLK_ALTOFF     when to switch back to standard time (quadword UT)

   When ever a current time is requested in other than UT-base, the system
   could compare the current UT to CLK_ALTON or CLK_ALTOFF (depending on
   the current local-base) and see if it is time to change local-bases,
   if it is, it could add 1 year to CLK_ALTON or CLK_ALTOFF as appropriate
   to be ready for next year (subject to the whims of congress).

3) Add a parameter to $ASCTIM to indicate whether you what the time back
   in UT, Local-time, or Alternate-local-time (while we are at it why
   not add a flag for 24/am-pm time?).

    timtyp:  bit 0  if on indicates am-pm rather than 24-hour time
             bit 1  if on indicates use currently active local-time
             bit 2  if on indicates use standard-local-time
             bit 3  if on indicates use alternate-local-time
             bit 4  if on indicates return the offset as well

    $ASCTIM(retstr,timadr,timtyp) could return something like (assumming
  May 24th is during daylight savings time):

     timtyp (low byte)           returned time
     0000 0000 (or omitted)      24-MAY-1988 10:06:59 UT
     0000 0010 (or 0000 1000)    24-MAY-1988 16:06:59 CDT
     0000 0011 (or 0000 1001)    24-MAY-1988  4:06:59 PM CDT
     0001 0011 (or 0001 1001)    24-MAY-1988 16:06:59 CDT (+06:00)

   Similarly add a parameter to $BINTIM to indicate what format the
input time string is in.

   This would seem to eliminate most problems (nothing like a sweeping
generality to generate replies :-).

John Hascall
ISU Comp Center

p.s.  whatever happened to the fad of including a line at the
      beginning for the line-ea

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (06/01/88)

Ralph Becker-Szendy (RALPH@UHHEPG) (facetiously) suggests setting the system
time to UT regardless of the local time zone, and John Hascall (GA.JPH@ISUVMS)
responds with a serious proposal to:

o       keep the clock in UT regardless of time zone;

o       add SYSGEN parameters to specify the standard and DST offsets from
        UT to local time, and the dates between which DST applies;

o       mods to system services, which allow us to control the type of
        conversion applied to binary times.

I approve.  This sort of thing has worked well in TOPS-20 for some time.
However, as stated Mr. Hascall's proposal fails to deal with the problem
of DST in the *past*.  (TOPS-20 also fails to deal with this.)  In other
words, if I want to convert a date-time from *last* year, when the DST Sundays
were different (not just different dates, but different "n'th" Sundays),
should we use this year's dates, or remember last year's?  An ugly problem,
but manageable if we keep a table of (DST-on-Sunday-n,DST-off-Sunday-n,year).
(I didn't invent this method; it was proposed on the TOPS-20 wizards'
newsgroup.)  The algorithm to determine the n'th Sunday in a given year
is not too difficult.

Is it worth dragging around an ever-lengthening table, so that we can
correctly convert past dates?  I think so, as long as the table doesn't
lengthen *too* frequently.  Your thoughts?

Also, can anybody comment on the rumored overhaul of the date-time services
for VMS 5.0?  Has all this been done already, and are we wasting bandwidth
on a non-issue?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Mark H. Wood    IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET   (317)274-0749 III U   U PPPP  U   U III
Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis  I  U   U P   P U   U  I
799 West Michigan Street, ET 1023                       I  U   U PPPP  U   U  I
Indianapolis, IN  46202 USA                             I  U   U P     U   U  I
[@disclaimer@]                                         III  UUU  P      UUU  III