[comp.os.vms] ?

COLE@CC.UTAH.EDU ("Allen Cole, Postmaster") (10/20/87)

Subject: RE:  Vaxnotes alternatives

> Does anyone know of any alternatives to VAXNOTES for VAX-based BBS-type
> operations?  Commercial or not, pointers to information on products of this
> type would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 					Thanks in advance,
> 					Joel Garrett

Since this is of interest to the net in general, I will post it instead of
sending mail.  We are using a program called BYUNEWS.  It is a program
that does USENET style news groups.  In fact, we get a USENET news feed
from a local Unix machine over Ethernet.  It could just as easily be done
over BITNET (and is being done), or DECNET.  INFO-VAX isn't mailed to my
machine, but a copy is sent to a newsgroup called comp.os.vms.  The program
has the capability for "local" newsgroups.

We also have used Mark London's BULLETIN program that was advertised on
INFO-VAX, and Geoff Huston's NEWS program (gih9000@anu.oz).  One of the
key features of the BYUNEWS program is that newsgroups don't get turned
into mail messages.  This way I have 20 mail messages and 200 news group
postings that come in each day, but I only see mail messages when I start
up mail.

The news system takes standard news batches from a Unix machine, or from
the VM/CMS port of news.  It also takes any text file in the
"incomming" directory to be a news item to be posted.  It then uses a
fortran program from an automatically scheduled batch job to unpack the
news items into the appropriate files.

The news is read with a TPU based news reading program.  Each user has
a file in their login directory that keeps track of what groups they
read, and which messages they have currently read.  This program doesn't
have all of the functionality of the Unix "rn" program, but has a very
easy to use, screen oriented user interface.  I haven't used vn, but
the approach seems to be similar.  There is a screen of news goups
and you can scroll to the one you want to read.  Then you get a screen
of article subjects to pick from.  It also has the functions I used
in Unix "rn": search for a subject, space bar to see more message,
"n" for the next message, "b" to go back to the previous article, something
to save a message, something to mail a message to somebody, and "m" to
mark the group as read.

It also has a facility for posting.  What happens when the post command
is used is specified by the news manager.  The choices are to put the
article in the local news file (local posting), or prepare a USENET style
batch file.  Then each news groups has its own DCL command that is used
to call a mail program such as PMDF or GMAIL.

One feature that I particularly like is the "download" command.  This
points to a DCL procedure which by default start up Kermit.  It can
be used to download a particular article, todays articles (as one file),
or all articles (as one file) in a group.  As soon as our FTP to a
MAC is working (we need to get rid of a Hayes interbridge), I will
replace the call to kermit with a call to FTP.

The program came right up.  The only hard part was negotiating a news
feed, and writing the shell script to deliver the news.  Once I got
the right person to do it though, it only took a few minutes.  I have posting
to moderated groups set up, but I haven't set up posting of the news
batches yet.  It doesn't look like it will be hard, but my queue is
rather full right now.

We are a beta test site for the program, but don't have a financial
interest in the program.  The cost is $200.  They are currently shipping
version 0.9 which is fully functionaly.  For ordering information,
contact:

	Jim Logan
	LOGANJ@BYUVAX.BITNET
	Brigham Young University
	Computing Facilities

We have been very pleased with the program.

Allen Cole
University of Utah Computer Center
Internet:	cole@cc.utah.edu
Bitnet:		cole@utahcca.bitnet

MALLETT@HLSDNL5.BITNET (Keep cool; process promptly) (06/06/88)

Hi all,

        I have heard nothing from this list for several days now, has
        there been a problem?

        I cant beleive that there is no activity so I guess that some
        mailer has gone. Can someone let us know what is happening.

        Nigel

Name: Nigel Mallett     Phone: Int + 31 + 70435554   Address: PTT Dr Neher Lab,
                        PSI 204117035801 (Datanet)   Postbus 421,
                        MALLETT@HLSDNL50 (Bitnet)    2260 AK Leidschendam,
                        DNLONE::MALLETT  (Surf)      Holland.