[comp.os.vms] mail forwarding

dp@JASPER.Palladian.COM (Jeffrey Del Papa) (10/27/87)

Where is this information stored? it survives the deletion of a user, so it isn't in
the UAF where I expected.

sweeny@silver.UUCP (11/05/87)

In article <871027155419.2.DP@BANFF.Palladian.COM> Jeffrey Del Papa <DP%JASPER@LIVE-OAK.LCS.MIT.EDU> writes:
>Where is this information stored? it survives the deletion of a user, so it isn't in
>the UAF where I expected.

the information is kept in a file named SYS$SYSTEM:VMSMAIL.DAT; there is
a procedure file named MAILUAF.DAT usually kept in sys$examples that
lets you alter the fields in the vmsmail.dat file (besides the
forwarding address are the mail "personal name" and the location of the
mail file) interactively.

ksimpson%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (Kenneth Simpson) (05/29/88)

Hi Al - where is your mail being forwarded to?

-- Ken

kieffer%Ucnet.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET (Rom Kieffer, Academic Computing Services) (05/30/88)

there has been a lot of traffic dealing with automatic mail forwarding
for messages addressed to non-existant accounts.
I have no doubt that it works well, but anyone dealing with mail
coming from IBM hosts on either direct links or bitnet should also
remember that sometimes these messages arrive as files. If there is
no valid receiving account, the file is returned to the sender.

 Kieffer%ucnet.unca.adhocnet.ca@uncaedu.bitnet

MCGUIRE@GRIN1.BITNET ("The Sysco Kid ", McGuire,Ed) (06/07/88)

Comments: <Parser> E: Mail origin cannot be determined.,
          <Parser> E: Original tag was FROM:,
From: "Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster" <POSTMASTER@UGA.BITNET>
Subject: re: mail forwarding
Comments: To: info-vax@kl.sri.com
To:   "Ed McGuire (McGuire,Ed)" <MCGUIRE@GRIN1.Bitnet>

there has been a lot of traffic dealing with automatic mail forwarding
for messages addressed to non-existant accounts.
I have no doubt that it works well, but anyone dealing with mail
coming from IBM hosts on either direct links or bitnet should also
remember that sometimes these messages arrive as files. If there is
no valid receiving account, the file is returned to the sender.

 Kieffer%ucnet.unca.adhocnet.ca@uncaedu.bitnet
---------------------------- End Forwarded Message ---------------------------

Are you talking about the behavior of Jnet when it receives a file that is
addressed to a non-existent account?  On my system under Jnet V3.2, these files
are rerouted to the account named POSTMAST for manual intervention.

In fact, I wrote a command procedure that automates the process of dealing with
dead files under POSTMAST as much as possible.  For example, I can correct the
address and forward, or I can return to sender, and also generate electronic
mail explaining to all parties what happened.

I'm copying this memo to JNET-L@BITNIC.BITNET.  Let us move any further
discussion of the details of Jnet's handling of dead files there.

Ed