[comp.os.vms] VMS 5.0 upgrade or new installation?

CHIAM@OUACCVMB.BITNET (05/31/88)

From: CHIAM@OUACCVMB (Bitnet)
To: INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM
Subject: VMS 5.0

Is VMS 5.0 rolling upgrade or a new installation? That is, do we have
to reformat the system disk when installing VMS 5.0?

   -Ta Fuh Chiam-
   -Management Information Systems-
   -College of Business Administration-
   -Ohio University-
   -Athens, Ohio 45701-

Disclaimer: Whatever I have said above is not the opinion of my employer.
            I will also not be responsible for the results of my opinion
            stated above.

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (06/03/88)

>Is VMS 5.0 rolling upgrade or a new installation? That is, do we have
>to reformat the system disk when installing VMS 5.0?

Rolling.  Reformatting is not necessary.

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (06/04/88)

In article <8806022153.AA23820@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CHIAM@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>Is VMS 5.0 rolling upgrade or a new installation? That is, do we have
>to reformat the system disk when installing VMS 5.0?

You can do it as an upgrade, or as a new installation.

Two terminology quibbles:  "Rolling upgrade" is what you might call a
reserved word in VMS.  It refers to upgrading an entire VAXcluster from
one release to another, one system at a time, maintaining the rest of
the cluster for use by users.  It's a tricky business because the VAXcluster
software normally wants to see the same version of VMS on all cluster
members, but it does work, and, yes, you can do the 4.7 (or 4.6) to 5.0
upgrade that way.

The other quibble:  One rarely, if ever, has to "reformat" disks in the
VMS world.  The correct term for what I think you are thinking of is
"initialize", which is what BACKUP does to a target Files-11 volume
as the first step in an image-mode restore operation, which is the first
step in a new VMS installation.  But, no, you don't have to do that for
the 5.0 upgrade.

DSTEVENS@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU (David L. Stevens) (06/06/88)

From what they said at DECUS-Cincinatti:

	VMS 5.0 is an upgrade.  It will consist of 6 phases (including the MUP)
	it will not require reformatting of the system disk.

 Also based on what was said, it sounds like as dramatic a change in OS style
 as occured with VMS 4.0.  So be sure to read & reread the release notes to
 find out just how big of a change it will be.

 Dave Stevens
 Senior Systems Programmer
 Stevens Institute of Technology

 Bitnet:	DSTEVENS@SITVXC
 Internet:	DSTEVENS@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU
------------

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (06/15/88)

In article <8856103652.20400289.DSTEVENS> DSTEVENS@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU (David L. Stevens) writes:
>From what they said at DECUS-Cincinatti:
> Also based on what was said, it sounds like as dramatic a change in OS style
> as occured with VMS 4.0.  So be sure to read & reread the release notes to
> find out just how big of a change it will be.

My experience:  at the DCL and application programmer level, V5 feels more
like a point release of V4 than a major release.  Naturally things are different
"inside", so if you've got to maintain device drivers,user-written system
services, etc., you have to worry about the new synch. techniques and the
new organization of the executive.  At the system manager level, there are
some new bells and whistles (SYSMAN utility, license manager), but other
than that it's business as usual.  There is NOTHING like the vast change in
the system's external "look and feel" that happened with the V3 to V4
transition.