[comp.os.vms] Disallowing logins from terminal ports

NOGA::GIL%vmsa.technion.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Gil Tene) (06/17/88)

m@tx",GIL

I have seen many suggestions for the specified problem posted on the
net, and all come down to either using ALFMAINT to render the terminal
useless for external processes, or use /NOTYPEAHEAD to do the same
thing almost. Both approaches will solve the problem, but have the
"slight" effect of not allowing any access to the terminal from
the NIU, without a process running something on the vax and communicating
through it. I have posted the follwing suggestion before, but I guess
it got lost in the net, so here it is again: This will both solve the
i/o loop between intelligent port derivers and the VAX's lo{in prompts,
and still enable users to use the terminal from the outside... :

Mark Nichols writes :

> We have a problem concerning terminal ports and the NIU's used to
> connect to the campus network. Whenever the NIU times out and goes to
> the idle state the Vax interprets the response from the NIU as a login
> attempt and prompts for a password. The NIU screams back "Invalid Response"
> or something like that. The Vax of course kicks back "User Authorization
> Failure" to which the NIU responds again with another error message. And
> off it goes .... with the Vax and the NIU ping-ponging error messages
> messages back and forth and the console spitting out all kinds of access
> violation messages.{>
> Is there a way to disable logins on a specific port while still
> allowing a user to connect to the port via kermit to go through the
> NIU and onto the network? We have tried all sorts of things with the
> NIU and it seems doing something from the Vax end is more feasable.

        I think I have a good answer to your problem, Mark:

Try setting up all the terminals connected to the problematic ports
with:

        $SET TERMINAL/SYSPASS
(Do this from your system's startup procedure)

Set the system's password for such terminals with:

        $SET PASSWORD/SYSTEM

Which is similar to the set password command. If you don't have the old
system password you can change it with modify/system_password=password
from within Authorize.

The effect this change will have is that Users will not get ANY sign of
life from ports other than a beep, until they enter the system-wide system
password into it, and only then will they receive the system's announcement
and Username: query. This effect cuts off the loop you have running
between yout server and your vax, since the vax will not output a thing
to the server until the server gives it the system password.

Users will have a little tougher time getting into the system (one more
step) but it's certinly worth the price.

                        Good luck.

        Gil Tene
        System's somthing or other.
        Signal Processing Lab