[comp.os.vms] Unusual SRP entry contents - SCS_DIR - Interesting!

cameron@runx.ips.oz (James Cameron) (06/20/88)

In an SRP entry, there exists the following string of characters...

SCS$DIRECTORY   What city, plez?

The SRP entry can be displayed using

$ ANALYZE/SYSTEM
SDA> SHOW POOL/SRP/TYPE=SCS_DIR

Is this another DECjoke?  If so, is it too subtle for me?

The original text is in SYS$SYSTEM:SCSLOA.EXE;, VBN 2, byte 279.  VAX/VMS V4.7

James Cameron, Kilpatrick Green Pty. Ltd., P.O. Box N366, Sydney 2000 Australia
Internet: cameron@runx.ips.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!cameron

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (06/25/88)

In article <1612@runx.ips.oz> cameron@runx.ips.oz (James Cameron) writes:

>In an SRP entry, there exists the following string of characters...
>
>SCS$DIRECTORY   What city, plez?
>
>The SRP entry can be displayed using
>
>$ ANALYZE/SYSTEM
>SDA> SHOW POOL/SRP/TYPE=SCS_DIR
>
>Is this another DECjoke?  If so, is it too subtle for me?

May be subtle if you don't use the U.S Telephone system too much.  When
you call "directory assistance" on the telephone, the first thing they
say is "what city please?".

You'll all be happy to know this little gem is still there in V5!

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrc.com
         Network Research Co.              kvc@ymir.bitnet