[comp.os.vms] LAVC: uVAX II / RD53 as bootnode

S211KENO@HTIKUB5.BITNET (06/13/88)

On the very first page of the VMS Local Area VAXcluster manual
is stated that a Microvax II bootnode must have a RD54 or larger system
disk.
And the VMS 4.6 KITINSTAL.COM refuses to install VMS 4.6 on a RD52 or RD53
systemdisk if the Microvax II is a LAVC bootnode.
Why ?
Is it just a performance issue, is it just Digital trying to sell more
expensive disk-units or is there a serious reason like Satellite nodes
not being able to boot from a remote RD53 ?
Any comments on or experiences with Microvax/RD53 serving as LACV bootnode
are welcome.

Thanks,

Kees Noyens
Computing Centre Tilburg University
P.O. Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
The Netherlands

Surfnet : KUBVX1::S211KENO
Bitnet  : S211KENO@HTIKUB5.BITNET
Internet: S211KENO%HTIKUB5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (06/20/88)

>On the very first page of the VMS Local Area VAXcluster manual
>is stated that a Microvax II bootnode must have a RD54 or larger system
>disk.
>And the VMS 4.6 KITINSTAL.COM refuses to install VMS 4.6 on a RD52 or RD53
>systemdisk if the Microvax II is a LAVC bootnode.
>Why ?
>Is it just a performance issue, is it just Digital trying to sell more
>expensive disk-units or is there a serious reason like Satellite nodes
>not being able to boot from a remote RD53 ?
>Any comments on or experiences with Microvax/RD53 serving as LACV bootnode
>are welcome.

We have several LAVc's here.  In general, the system disk of the boot
node in a LAVc will contain n+1 system directory trees for n
satellites.  (There's a root for the boot node, of course; that's
where n+1 comes from).  In a generic configuration, each satellite
will have a system dump file located on the boot node.  In addition,
if the satellites are diskless, their page and swap files will be on
the boot node system disk.  Add it all up and your talking 20000 to
30000 blocks (roughly) per satellite plus system directory tree plus
boot node sys dir tree and page/swap files.  With anything less than an
RD54, you'll run out of disk space fast.

There may be more complex reasons too, but common sense in this case
seems to answer the question.

Hope this helps.

| Mark H. Granoff                      Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation  | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.         | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         M/S B015               |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730      | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7506         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer -----------------------------+
|   The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily     |
|                    reflect those of my employer.                   |

opal@utastro.UUCP (Chet Opal) (06/21/88)

In article <8806201951.AA14806@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, S211KENO@HTIKUB5.BITNET writes:
> On the very first page of the VMS Local Area VAXcluster manual
> is stated that a Microvax II bootnode must have a RD54 or larger system
> disk.
> And the VMS 4.6 KITINSTAL.COM refuses to install VMS 4.6 on a RD52 or RD53
> systemdisk if the Microvax II is a LAVC bootnode.
> Why ?
> Is it just a performance issue, is it just Digital trying to sell more
> expensive disk-units or is there a serious reason like Satellite nodes
> not being able to boot from a remote RD53 ?
> Any comments on or experiences with Microvax/RD53 serving as LACV bootnode
> are welcome.

  I have successfully installed VMS 4.6 over MicroVMS 4.7 on an RD53 with
two satellite nodes.  Performance is not an issue; disk space is.  You will
need to either put the paging/swapping files for the satellites on their
own disks (if they have them) or on a second disk on the boot node.

  My procedure was the following:
	1) Break down the installation tape by $ COPYing the save_sets
to a disk, then restore the first save_set to a disk directory.  You will
find the file KITINSTAL.COM, which you will need to edit.

	2) Search for the section containing a reference to "RD54", and comment
out the lines which test for it.

	3) Search for the section referring to VMS4.6, and if you are running
4.7, add that to the logical statement (or comment the whole thing out)

	4)  There was one more thing involving a file which it wanted which
would only have been there if you had already installed clusters.  I will
try to find a DIFFERENCES file on KITINSTAL.COM; I know I made one...and
will post it to the net.  Anyway, you comment that check out also.

	5) Reassemble the first saveset by backing it up to a disk file.

	6) Recopy the bunch of modified savesets to a new TK50, or if there
is room, you can copy they to DUA0:[0,0] and run VMSINSTAL on them from there
(much, much faster than a TK50).

	Voila'

Chet Opal, ascendant VMS guru.

(MUCHO faster).

thompson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) (06/26/88)

A number of messages recently have pointed out that you can't run a
MicroVAX II with an RD53 as a boot node in an LAVC because the dump
files etc take up too much space. However, this is not absoultely
true. As long as you have local paging and swapping files on the
satellites (so that they're not on the system disk), you can put ONE
dump file in sys$common:[sysexe]; just make sure it's large enough
for the biggest system. Of course, if all your machines crash at
once and you want to analyze the dumps, you're out of luck....