[comp.os.vms] re-boot of LAVC after crash or powerfail

rdt@teddy.UUCP (Ron D. Thornton) (06/29/88)

In article <554@nmtsun.nmt.edu> hydrovax@nmtsun.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) writes:
>In article <8806240034.AA27234@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SYSMGR@IPG.PH.KCL.AC.UK writes:
>>
>>Can anyone suggest why one of our LAVC microVAXen fails to re-boot after a
>>crash or powerfail, with the message "Unable to locate SYS.EXE", whereas the
>>other three re-boot off the Ethernet? An explicit ">>>B XQ" works fine.
>>(b) The problem system has VMS 4.7 available as s/alone system in [SYS1],
>>    the others also have a s/alone system in the same place but 4.5 not 4.7
>>
>I just got done "licking" this sort of problem.  Some background first.
>
>When the system is booting off of disk X it looks for X:[SYSEXE]SYSBOOT.EXE
>AND ALL THIS MAY CHANGE UNDER VMS 5.0.......

As noted in both Ver 4 and 5 documentation, to reboot a satellite node that
also has an operating system on its local disk:

1. rename SYS0.dir to something else like SYS1.dir
	$RENAME DUA0:[000000]SYS0.DIR DUA0:[000000]SYS1.DIR

2. remove the file entry for dua0:[sysexe]SYSBOOT.EXE.  You remove rather
	than delete because the file actually exists in [SYS0.SYSEXE] and
	you just want to remove the extra reference to it.
	$SET FILE/REMOVE DUA0:[SYSEXE]SYSBOOT.EXE

The boot proms can no longer find SYSBOOT.EXE in [sysexe] or [sys0.sysexe] so
the ethernet will be tried.

To manually boot the local operating system you just force to boot proms to
look in the correct root directory by typing:
	>>> B/x0000000
where x it the system root number (1 in the above example)

	-Ron-
	rdt@genrad.COM