[net.dcom] How to attach a Laserjet to a VAX?

nckary@ndsuvax.UUCP (Dan Kary) (10/02/85)

We are considering getting an HP Laserjet to attach to a VAX 11/780
running 4.2BSD.  We would like to use the serial (RS-232) interface.
The problem is that the Laserjet must have 8 data bits, and the tty
driver uses only 7 data bits.  I see no way to set the number of
data bits on a line with stty(1) or gettytab(5).  I have seen many
references to the Laserjet being used on a VAX, how are they being
connected?

Dan Kary
Computer Science Dept.
North Dakota State University
300 Minard Hall
Fargo, ND   58105
ihnp4!dicomed!nckary

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (10/08/85)

In article <139@ndsuvax.UUCP>, nckary@ndsuvax.UUCP (Dan Kary) writes:
> We are considering getting an HP Laserjet to attach to a VAX 11/780
> running 4.2BSD.  We would like to use the serial (RS-232) interface.
> The problem is that the Laserjet must have 8 data bits, and the tty
> driver uses only 7 data bits.  I see no way to set the number of
> data bits on a line with stty(1) or gettytab(5).  I have seen many
> references to the Laserjet being used on a VAX, how are they being
> connected?

You can set up your /etc/printcap to handle this with no problem.
Here is the guts of ours. We have three entries for the HP. One
for 7-bit portrait mode printing, one for 7-bit landscape mode,and
one for 8-bit portrait mode. The filters referenced set the line
spacing to give us 66 lines/pages and set landscape/portrait.
We have 7 & 8 bit entries because the eight bit mode requires
LF & CR for each line whereas 7-bit does not. So we only use
8-bit for ditroff and other graphic material. The printcap:

lp|ap|arpa|ucbarpa|Serial printer:\
	:br#9600:fs#06320:tr=\f:of=/usr/lib/lpf:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
	:lp=/dev/ttyhd:
laser|lqp:\
	:br#9600:lp=/dev/laser:fs#00320:\
	:xc#00040:\
	:pl#66:pw#80:\
	:mx#0:\
	:lo=laserlock:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/laser:\
	:of=/usr/local/fport:
waser:\
	:br#9600:lp=/dev/laser:fs#00320:\
	:xc#00040:\
	:lo=../laser/laserlock:\
	:pl#66:pw#132:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/waser:\
	:of=/usr/local/fland:
type|pt:\
	:br#9600:lp=/dev/laser:fs#00320:\
	:xs#00040:\
	:pl#66:pw#80:\
	:lo=../laser/laserlock:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/type:\
	:of=/usr/local/fport:

laser is 7-bit portrait
waser is 7-bit landscape
type is 8-bit.

Good Luck!
--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like a man who likes to talk."