[comp.os.vms] Installing DCL procedures with priveleges

GIL%vmsa.technion.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Gil Tene) (07/01/88)

M. Hamilton writes:

> Some time ago there was a posting on how to install a DCL procedure with
> privilege.  I saved it carefully, now need to do that, and of course now
> can't find the posting anywhere. Will someone please re-post the article?
>
> My problem is:  the members of one UIC group have an application involving
> several usernames creating files in one directory.  FOCUS, the database
> they are using, creates the files owned by the username running the process,
> NOT owned by the owner of the directory.  I need a way for each username
> to set file ownership to be that of the directory, without giving GRPPRV
> to all the usernames involved.  I have a short DCL procedure, which I want
> to install with GRPPRV, for them to execute.  If there is a better way to
> solve this problem, I will be happy to get it.  Thanks in advance.

To Solve the above problem there is no need for Prived DCL procs :

If you create a descriptor in Authorize (say cre/id FOCUS )
and grant that id to all users concerned (using grant/id)
Then make the directory concerned and everything in it belong
to that id (using set file/own=FOCUS focus.dir and
set file/own=FOCUS [.focus...]*.*.*) you will have the wanted affect
without any need for special privs for users. All users who have
been granted an ID can use files with the given ID as their own,
and files will be automatically created with FOCUS ownership from
then on (if under the focus dir.). This solution is good if you do not
(repeat DO NOT) require file written into that directory to be protected
from writes by other users, in which case you will need a more sophisticated
approach which will involve Prived DCL procs.

        Good Luck,

        Gil Tene
        System's somthing or other.
        Signal Processing Lab