[comp.os.vms] VMS 5.0 announced.

MACALLSTR@vax1.physics.oxford.ac.UK (06/15/88)

In the literature I received announcing VMS version 5.0 was a note
 indicating that the VMS ( extended ) documentation set " is of some
 considerable weight and size and will be delivered on a pallet " !
John

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (06/15/88)

>In the literature I received announcing VMS version 5.0 was a note
> indicating that the VMS ( extended ) documentation set " is of some
> considerable weight and size and will be delivered on a pallet " !

I heard it has tripled in size and now sits 21 feet long if you stand
each manual side by side.

| Mark H. Granoff                      Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation  | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.         | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         M/S B015               |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730      | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7506         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer -----------------------------+
|   The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily     |
|                    reflect those of my employer.                   |

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (06/25/88)

In article <8806151221.AA16432@mitre-bedford.ARPA> mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
>>In the literature I received announcing VMS version 5.0 was a note
>> indicating that the VMS ( extended ) documentation set " is of some
>> considerable weight and size and will be delivered on a pallet " !
>
>I heard it has tripled in size and now sits 21 feet long if you stand
>each manual side by side.

At DECUS I asked one of the DEC Documentation folks about the V5 doc set.
She says it is about 1.5 - 2 linear feet longer than the V4.7 complete doc set.
Larger, but certainly not "tripled" in size.

I also asked that far more important question: "what color are the binders?"
I said we were all very disappointed when they didn't change binder colors
from V3 to V4 and I hoped they had addressed this problem.  She says they
have indeed.  Some people complained about not being able to easily go
for a V4 binder when you had both V3 and V4 on your shelves.  New color
is supposed to be sort of a grey (she pointed to a couch in the DECUS
exhibit hall) with orange trim.

dagg@lace.lbl.gov (Darren Griffiths) (06/26/88)

In article <8806151221.AA16432@mitre-bedford.ARPA> mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
>>In the literature I received announcing VMS version 5.0 was a note
>> indicating that the VMS ( extended ) documentation set " is of some
>> considerable weight and size and will be delivered on a pallet " !
>
>I heard it has tripled in size and now sits 21 feet long if you stand
>each manual side by side.

We were told to expect 30 documents per set, and that's just the base
documentation, it doesn't included layered products.  With all of the
copies that LBL receives we were told to reserve 800 square feet in the
receiving area.

  --darren
  dagg@lbl.gov

Darren Griffiths                                          DAGG@LBL.GOV
Lawrence Berkeley Labs
Information and Computing Sciences Division

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (07/05/88)

>In article mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
>>I heard it has tripled in size and now sits 21 feet long if you stand
>>each manual side by side.
>
>At DECUS I asked one of the DEC Documentation folks about the V5 doc set.
>She says it is about 1.5 - 2 linear feet longer than the V4.7 complete doc set.
>Larger, but certainly not "tripled" in size.

Oh, picky, picky...

>I also asked that far more important question: "what color are the binders?"

Terribly important...

We received out 8 sets last week (on three palets).  The new binders
are in fact grey.  The only orange is on a little stripe on the
binder's outer insert.

We also noticed something else.  In the past, DEC *never* referred to
VMS as "VMS" but as "VAX/VMS," their reasoning being that VMS was not
VMS without a VAX.  In the V5.0 documentation set, however, VMS is
called "VMS"...they have apparently dropped the "VAX/" from the name...
I guess they like to keep their customers on their toes...