[comp.os.vms] Information on ReGIS wanted

alderaan@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) (06/27/88)

Hi !

Anybody out there who has some bits about the DEC's ReGIS instruction set
(Remote Graphics Instruction Set) ? ReGIS is used to control graphics on
DEC's VT-series terminals (e.g. VT125).
Need it for writin' emulation software. I'm posting here cause the VT125
Manual released by DEC is about $100 (!!!).

                                  thanx a lot in advance
                                           alderaan.

--
alderaan.
OP rkoPDP (RSTS/E)

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (06/29/88)

In article <1985@netmbx.UUCP>, alderaan@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) writes:
> Hi !
>
> Anybody out there who has some bits about the DEC's ReGIS instruction set
> (Remote Graphics Instruction Set) ? ReGIS is used to control graphics on
> DEC's VT-series terminals (e.g. VT125).
> Need it for writin' emulation software. I'm posting here cause the VT125
> Manual released by DEC is about $100 (!!!).

Hi, back!  This message is something of a "mixed blessing" for you.

I know a good bit about ReGIS, myself, but my advice to you is to buy the
book!   The trouble is, there's just so darn much TO ReGIS that it takes
a book-length document to cover it.  I gave a noble try to typing in the
bare bones from a DEC "GIGI" (ehhhhh) terminal manual; at 117 lines I
had just BARELY begun to get into the list of commands -- saying NOTHING
about what they actually DO or how you would USE them or how they affect
EACH OTHER -- and I knew I was in trouble.  Ended up deleting that ver-
sion of this message.

You mention the VT125.  If you're aiming SPECIFICALLY at a VT125 emulation,
well, I guess you'll probably have to spend that $100.   If you just want to
get familiar with ReGIS in general, you could try the VT240 Programmer's
Reference, which I'm told sells for around $25.   A good deal of that book
has to do with ReGIS, for good reason; simply beware of the "F(ill polygon)"
command -- that one, as an example, isn't implemented on all terminals
(then again, maybe Ball State just has OLD terminals...  VT240's with
'firmware' versions less than 2.2, won't do the Fill command.); there may
be others.

Sorry I can't do better; can't even send you a book 'cuz I only just go
look up details in the University copies when I need 'em.

If you find what you're looking for, and have specific ReGIS questions later,
I might be able to help; just give a ring through e-mail.

Also, if there IS a definitive ReGIS Standard description floating around
out there, and you find it, I'd like to see it too.

    Chris Chiesa
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (06/29/88)

I didn't want to spend $25 or $100 either.  For about $5 you can get
DEC document number EK-VT125-GI-001 "VT125 ReGIS Primer".  Not a full
description, but it certainly seems to have enough in it to get
going.

Yes, I know, from DEC, that price seems wrong, but it's certainly no
more than $6.

Yours,
Paul DuBois
dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!dubois
bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!bin

pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (07/07/88)

In article <1985@netmbx.UUCP>, alderaan@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) writes:

>> Anybody out there who has some bits about the DEC's ReGIS instruction set
>> (Remote Graphics Instruction Set) ? ReGIS is used to control graphics on
>> DEC's VT-series terminals (e.g. VT125).
>> Need it for writin' emulation software. I'm posting here cause the VT125
>> Manual released by DEC is about $100 (!!!).

I've got a VT125 manual floating around.  Please drop me a mail path to you
because my reply gets bounced.  I don't need the user manual -- if that's the
one you need.

--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701