[comp.os.vms] Disk visibility in LAVC

ZWARTS@HGRRUG51.BITNET (06/08/88)

About half a year ago we started with a LAV cluster. A Vax 8300 is the boot
node. Up to last week we have had only diskless VAXstations 2000 as satellite
nodes. So, the only disks in the cluster were the disks of the Vax 8300. Those
disks were visible and accessible from all satellites. Last week we added a
VAXstation 2000 with its own disk. I modified MODPARAMS.DAT for this node to
include MSCP_LOAD=1, so that it would serve its disk for the cluster. Indeed,
all other satelite nodes see this disk and have access to this disk. However,
the Vax 8300 still only sees its own local disks. SHOW DEVICE on the boot
member does not show the disk of the satelite. Any attempt to access the disk
from the boot member fails with an error stating that there is no such device.
Is there a SYSGEN parameter to be set on the boot member to make it accept
disks served by satelites?

        F. Zwarts                               Phone:          (+31)50-633619
        Kernfysisch Versneller Instituut        Bitnet/Earn:    ZWARTS@HGRRUG51
        Zernikelaan 25                          Surfnet:        KVIANA::ZWARTS
        9747 AA  Groningen                      Telefax:        (+31)50-634003
        The Netherlands                         Telex:          53410 rugro nl

everettm@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Everett Mitchell) (06/30/88)

In article <8806280919.AA18783@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ZWARTS@HGRRUG51.BITNET writes:
> all other satelite nodes see this disk and have access to this disk. However,
> the Vax 8300 still only sees its own local disks. SHOW DEVICE on the boot
> member does not show the disk of the satelite. Any attempt to access the disk
> from the boot member fails with an error stating that there is no such device.

Check for the CONFIGURE process on the 8300 system. It needs to be running in
order to "see" disks served from other systems. If it's not running, you can
try starting it by: @sys$system:startup configure
If this is the case, CONFIGURE is evidently not getting started for some reason.

Everett Mitchell
VMS System Support   DS 50/454
Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 500
Beaverton, OR  97077

UUCP:		{ihnp4 | decvax | ucbvax}!tektronix!tekgen!everettm
ARPA:		everettm%tekgen.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSnet:		everettm@tekgen.TEK.COM
MaBell:		(503) 627-6516

jane@RTSG.EE.LBL.GOV (Jane Colman) (07/07/88)

You need to make sure that all nodes are running the CONFIGURE process
in order to see all the disks.  If you use SYCONFIG.COM and prevent
SYSTARTUP.COM from doing an AUTOCONFIGURE, the CONFIGURE process will
not be started.  Add a line to your SYCONFIG.COM:
@sys$system:startup configure
and the process will be started.  We had the same problem when we first
set up our LAVC and that solved it.