[comp.os.vms] Problematic batches of TK50 tapes

craig@nwnexus.WA.COM (Craig Suhadolnik) (07/07/88)

have been told the bad batch serial numbers are xxx17xxxx - xxx30xxxx.

A customer corrected a problem with a TK50 he purchased from us
by switching to a tape outside of this batch range.

Craig Suhadolnik
Puget Sound Data Systems
"Everything for your DEC equipment needs..."
E-mail:  craig@nwnexus.wa.com			Ma-Bell:  (206) 487-3616

hirshman@gidday.dec.com (Bret H, Tech Support @ Sydney,Oz STL-1/2 9657646) (07/11/88)

In a recent posting craig@nwnexus.wa.com (Craig Suhadolnik) writes:
>have been told the bad batch serial numbers are xxx17xxxx - xxx30xxxx.

Perhaps I'd better clarify this a bit further before people start phoning their
local DEC Accessories & Supplies Group offices in fits of righteous indignation.

Firstly, the problem only applies to TK50-K cartridges and not to the newer
TK52-K (for TK70 as well as TK50) cartridges.

Secondly, the way I understand the situation is that the above serial number
range merely identifies tapes that *may* be faulty, but the great majority of
which will be perfectly OK.  The following additional inspection *must* be made
to find the real dud tapes:

(Note: The serial number is inked on to the underside of the TK50-K cartridge
as a five digit number and a four digit number, in that logical order.  However,
the two numbers are not necessarily physically adjacent.)

1. See if there is a "B" stamped on the cartridge along with the serial number.
  If so, then the cartridge has already been checked/reworked and is OK.

2. Hold the cartridge so that the end with the label holder and write-protect
  slider is sitting flat on your desktop, and the top of the cartridge (the
  side with the CompacTape (TM) legend) is facing away from you.  Holding a
  ball-point pen pointing downwards in your right hand, carefully place the
  pen tip in the notch on the right-hand corner of the cartridge and gently
  push down and slightly to the left.  The tape access cover should hinge up
  and to the right, revealing the tape leader loop poking out from the left
  side of the access slot.  If the leader loop is black then your tape is OK.
  Only if the leader loop is white (the real *definitive* sign of tape-ly
  turpitude!) do you have a dud cartridge.

Remember to mark your suspect cartridges as good once they've checked out OK.

This is a very old problem now, so I'd be surprised if there are many genuine
dud cartridges still around.

--
                                Bret A. Hirshman, Esq.

 "The makers may make     |  DEC EasyNet: GIDDAY::HIRSHMAN
 and the users may use,   |  USENET: hirshman@gidday.DEC.COM
 but the fixers must fix  |    or ..!{decwrl,decuac}!gidday.dec.com!hirshman
 with but minimal clues"  |  DARPA INTERNET: hirshman@gidday.DEC.COM
                          |    or hirshman%gidday.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
                 Anon.    |  Snail: Digital Equip. Corp. P/L, 39A Herbert St.,
                          |         St. Leonards, NSW 2065, AUSTRALIA

DISCLAIMER: The above opinions are mine (and probably mine alone, *sigh!*).