[comp.os.vms] VMS accounting preprocessor for SAS

MARK@MACALSTR.BITNET (Mark Van Overbeke) (07/07/88)

Hello netland!

   Does anyone out there have a utility which will take a
VMS accounting file and set it up so that SAS can be used
to do many odd things with it?  Please respond directly
to me so the network doesn't have to work too hard (maybe
it will start working a little better on the BITNET side).
Thanks to all who respond.

                               Mark Van Overbeke
                               System Manager and Programmer
                               Macalester College
                               St. Paul, MN
                               612-696-6168

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (07/12/88)

In article <8807100920.AA22275@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MARK@MACALSTR.BITNET (Mark Van Overbeke) writes:
> Hello netland!
>
>    Does anyone out there have a utility which will take a
> VMS accounting file and set it up so that SAS can be used
> to do many odd things with it?  Please respond directly
> to me so the network doesn't have to work too hard (maybe
> it will start working a little better on the BITNET side).
> Thanks to all who respond.
>
>                                Mark Van Overbeke
>                                System Manager and Programmer
>                                Macalester College
>                                St. Paul, MN
>                                612-696-6168

You probably already have it.  If you have the VMS version of SAS,
version 5.16 or later, then look in the samples directory.  You will
find a subdirectory [.CPE.ACCOUNTING] which contains a program LOADACC.SAS.
It reads an accounting file (either a closed version of the regular
file or one copied out with ACC/BIN) and makes SAS datasets, one for
each record type in the file.  It understands everything in VMS 4.x,
we haven't done extensive testing of it under VMS 5.0 yet.

It also includes a few sample SAS programs that read the datasets, do
*extremely* minimal chargeback stuff, etc.  It is intended only as a
model, and doesn't do much that is interesting except access the data
via the dataset model, etc.

A more enhanced version will be available this fall as part of a complete
CPE and resource management toolkit, that will run with SAS 5.18 on the
VAX.  Availability not yet known, parts were previewed at the last SUGI.

Tom Cole
Senior Systems Developer
VAX/VMS Host Group
SAS Institute
{anywhere}|mcnc|rti|sas|cole

[I apologize for using net bandwidth for this, but it might be of general
 interest, and our site and BITNET do not get along...]

%INCLUDE DISCLAIMER;